Is Matt lazy live with his vocals?

Nipso

I think he means there shouldn't be a need to aim for no mistakes whatsoever. By changing and avoiding notes Matt is kind of going for no mistakes by playing it safe

Yes?

I was really surprised when he did the high chest notes in Hyper Music at L/R, I figured he'd just do falsetto like he used to. It really sounded like he put quite a bit of effort into Dark Shines as well so he does put in effort sometimes. Just not often enough unfortunately.
2 gigs are pretty much drowned in all the gigs were he has avoided any hard notes.

I was really surprised when he did the high chest notes in Hyper Music at L/R, I figured he'd just do falsetto like he used to. It really sounded like he put quite a bit of effort into Dark Shines as well so he does put in effort sometimes. Just not often enough unfortunately.

I think the word you're looking for is energy. Matt doesn't give the same energetic vocal performances he once did, and while R&L was a step above what we're used to, it's still nothing compared to 2001 when he would sing the whole chorus of Hyper Music every night, he'd play Darkshines in the original key, he wouldn't scrape the Plug In Baby falsetto, and difficult songs like Showbiz, Micro Cuts and Cave were set regulars... etc.

I tell most of my friends that Muse is one of the worst live bands I've ever seen, because they just stand there and play, occasionally say "thank you", never change the set lists, care way too much about their stage production, and leave. I think their stage productions are supposed to compensate for their boring live performances. My girlfriend and I have spent a lot of time and money on our love for Muse, but we feel like they don't respect fans and just act like pretentious assholes. Sorry for the rant, but I had to respond to that comment, because I feel so strongly that they rarely (if ever) give 100%.

Perhaps the bolded comment is a bit uncalled for... :erm: Are Muse as good as they once were? No, absolutely not, but they are still a solid live band who can still produce great music.

You are right though, they don't give 100%. Never. Matt is an energetic fellow, but to me it seems like he's afraid to let his inner child free these days. Which is sad, because I think it's his immense energy that Chris, Dom, and the entire crowd would once feed off. I bet that if you had the crowd from R&L 2011 at Hullabaloo, the reception would've been far more positive because it's impossible to not get sucked into young Bellamy's wild, exuberant performances.

Perhaps the bolded comment is a bit uncalled for... :erm: Are Muse as good as they once were? No, absolutely not, but they are still a solid live band who can still produce great music.

Agreed. I sometimes feel like its the bigger fans who are more disappointed in their shows.

A lot of you really overestimate "old" Muse. They weren't THAT good back then and they aren't THAT "bad" right now JC_coffee.gif

Yeah, I think old Muse just look better after a bit of time has past, personally I think they've been reasonably consistent. I'm sure that in 2001 people were saying Matt was singing Hyper Music lazily and in 2003 someone was asking why they didn't play Megalomania anymore.

This is the part where someone who has been on the forums since then corrects me of course. :LOL:

Besides, who remembers the lesser shows from 2001 like they do from the last tour?

Also, I couldn't care less how Bells communication with the crowd is, I go to gigs to hear them play music, and I still love the engery of their performance.

I'd rather have a silent Bells than for example the theatrical stuff from Green Day. And that's not up for debate, that's my personal preference.

A lot of you really overestimate "old" Muse. They weren't THAT good back then and they aren't THAT "bad" right now JC_coffee.gif

I totally agree with this. They aren't worse live, they're just different. Matt's getting older, we can't expect the same craziness we used to get. What we get now is experience. He doesn't have that same crazy energy (he's still fairly lively, or at least he was at that show I saw them at. Bouncing around the stage like he was on coke or something) but now he seems more experienced, and in control. Whatever the case, they still pack one hell of a punch. Although it is a shame he doesn't hit all those high chest notes, as a whole, he sings much better now, anyway.

Besides, who remembers the lesser shows from 2001 like they do from the last tour?

Also, I couldn't care less how Bells communication with the crowd is, I go to gigs to hear them play music, and I still love the engery of their performance.

I'd rather have a silent Bells than for example the theatrical stuff from Green Day. And that's not up for debate, that's my personal preference.

This.

I've searched through a lot of their older gigs when I was bored sometimes, and while they do have some more interesting setlists, they were never that varied throughout. It's the energy that's really toned down but they weren't the best thing in the world back then either.

More interesting setlists = more enjoyable shows = less bitchy fans on the forums = Yay!

This is an older post, but I'd like to point out there were a lot of people bitching after R/L that the second half was boring and they didn't play Dead Star. So that confirms this forum will never stop being bitchy.

This is an older post, but I'd like to point out there were a lot of people bitching after R/L that the second half was boring and they didn't play Dead Star. So that confirms this forum will never stop being bitchy.

It's the old "Gold is good but diamonds would be better" way of thinking though, most people are guilty of it. Fans will always find something to complain about.

It's the old "Gold is good but diamonds would be better" way of thinking though, most people are guilty of it. Fans will always find something to complain about.

If I got to see OoS live I really don't think I'd be complaining. I know there were some that didn't.

I kinda hope the band didn't hear the complaints cause they'd probably never do anything special for us again.

If I got to see OoS live I really don't think I'd be complaining. I know there were some that didn't.

I kinda hope the band didn't hear the complaints cause they'd probably never do anything special for us again.

Bollocks, they've been around for more than ten years now, any band would understand by now that people will complain about things no matter how good they are. Like I said, there's always something to complain about, nothing is perfect. It's not like people said L/R was shit, they said they were disappointed by the lack of Dead Star (after the band hinting at it) and by the shit elements of the second half.

Bollocks, they've been around for more than ten years now, any band would understand by now that people will complain about things no matter how good they are. Like I said, there's always something to complain about, nothing is perfect. It's not like people said L/R was shit, they said they were disappointed by the lack of Dead Star (after the band hinting at it) and by the shit elements of the second half.

OK that was a bit too much I agree. But playing the entire album is one of the biggest treats the band have given the fans. The ratio from rarities:hits is exactly what they should do. And really Dead Star predictions were just jumping to conclusions. There was very little evidence they would play it. The ones complaining were just asking for a bit much.

i think people are forgetting that muse just played origin in its entirety...

Yeah, but we knew that months ago. One suprise isn't too much asked, is it?

I've had this argument way too many times. I'll just leave it at that.

The problem wasn't really that they didn't play Dead Star (although it would've made perfect sense in a festival and it does belong to the Origin era. Anyone who disagrees with this is wrong), the problem was rather that they played UD instead of what could have been a live song that doesn't suck balls.

the problem was rather that they played UD instead of what could have been a live song that doesn't suck balls.

This I agree with. I think even USoE at least could've kept the momentum up nicely.

UD>Resistance>Starlight was a bad combo, and it came up in several gigs.

The problem wasn't really that they didn't play Dead Star (although it would've made perfect sense in a festival and it does belong to the Origin era. Anyone who disagrees with this is wrong), the problem was rather that they played UD instead of what could have been a live song that doesn't suck balls.

That's annoying.

Well, your native language sounds like a joke. So there.

Archived