Is Matt lazy live with his vocals?

Nipso

are you ignoring the "e.g."? It was an example.

Just try to sing some songs and compare the same notes in different contexts. You will realize it can be totally different difficulty wise.

Just compare for example queen's bohemian rhapsody studio with its live version(the beginning):

the "now i got to throw it all away" part he NEVER sang in falsetto/head voice live, which he did on the studio recording. Thats just one of many examples. Like Dont stop me now, im hearing a recording from 1979 right now and he doesnt sing a high chest voice part he did just one year ago on the studio version. He never did that in any of the recordings i listened to.

But if the example doesn't relate to your point, why bring it up?

What exactly are you suggesting that the difference is in the context? Obviously high notes are harder if they come straight after a breathtaking or just generally hard section, or if it's a song that forces you to change between different singing styles/modes quickly(for example Take A Bow)

But what is it about Resistance that makes it a hard context to reach a G4 in? And if what you said wasn't about Resistance, what WAS it about?

But if the example doesn't relate to your point, why bring it up?

What exactly are you suggesting that the difference is in the context? Obviously high notes are harder if they come straight after a breathtaking or just generally hard section, or if it's a song that forces you to change between different singing styles/modes quickly(for example Take A Bow)

But what is it about Resistance that makes it a hard context to reach a G4 in? And if what you said wasn't about Resistance, what WAS it about?

people claimed that if matt sings a B4(or what ever note it was about) in between songs he can do it in (any) song and is just lazy.

Which is a conclusion thats not necessarily true.

I mentioned Freddy Mercury to show that even with superior singing technique people tend to do less live(at least if they are touring alot).

You did not do what i suggested you to do. Sing some songs that contain the same note in different contexts and look if its always the same difficulty.

I can tell you that its not and without perfect singing techniques matthew might sometimes strain his voice too much if he does sing some of those high chest notes live.

@Electricmuser96

thanks for clearing up the lyrics :) im not good at hearing them properly :D

^

The last note of Resistance is a belt. The B4s after songs are higher and harder belts. He does the harder one that isn't even necessary or in the song. Logic? None.

can you give me a link to a live recording where he does that? i read the last few sites and people talked about that but i didnt see a link there. And i watched a live video from glastonbury 2010 and he sings the song as he does in the record(as far as i remember).

people claimed that if matt sings a B4(or what ever note it was about) in between songs he can do it in (any) song and is just lazy.

Which is a conclusion thats not necessarily true.

I mentioned Freddy Mercury to show that even with superior singing technique people tend to do less live(at least if they are touring alot).

You did not do what i suggested you to do. Sing some songs that contain the same note in different contexts and look if its always the same difficulty.

I can tell you that its not and without perfect singing techniques matthew might sometimes strain his voice too much if he does sing some of those high chest notes live.

@Electricmuser96

thanks for clearing up the lyrics :) im not good with hearing them properly :D

That it isn't necessarily true doesn't mean that it isn't true ;) You clearly haven't even heard any of the B4s in question.

And you obviously didn't read or understand any of the things I just said, so I'll repeat it for you, and explain.

What makes the G4s in Take A Bow so much harder than the G4s in Resistance is, as you say, the context. Simply because of how much and how fast he has to change mode. That song has a lot of different approaches for high notes, which is why Matt fails so often on notes that he does easily in other songs like Plug In Baby and Uprising.

This does in no way change the fact that he has no reason for avoiding the G4 in Resistance.

can you give me a link to a live recording where he does that? i read the last few sites and people talked about that but i didnt see a link there. And i watched a live video from glastonbury 2010 and he sings the song as he does in the record(as far as i remember).

And that he sings the G4 in ONE performance doesn't really matter.

That it isn't necessarily true doesn't mean that it isn't true ;) You clearly haven't even heard any of the B4s in question.

And you obviously didn't read or understand any of the things I just said, so I'll repeat it for you, and explain.

What makes the G4s in Take A Bow so much harder than the G4s in Resistance is, as you say, the context. Simply because of how much and how fast he has to change mode. That song has a lot of different approaches for high notes, which is why Matt fails so often on notes that he does easily in other songs like Plug In Baby and Uprising.

This does in no way change the fact that he has no reason for avoiding the G4 in Resistance.

give me a link then.

or tell me where roughly i nthis thread i can find one on the last dunno 5 pages there is none(or my search skills are bad).

Its not only how much and fast you have to change modes. It depends on what vocals you are singing, what sound is intended for the notes in question how you are sliding and i believe even more points, but these are the ones coming up right now.

Do not get me wrong im not saying its definatly the case, im just think about what COULD be a different reason for those habits.

Personally i believe he just doesnt want to mess up in front of a gigantic mass..

thank you for the links :) will listen to them now

edit:

as i said the context.

the stuff he does in those videos is out of a song context. As i said this could be the reason for him not doing it during a song.

I myself could do what he does after the songs in those videos but wouldnt do it during a song because it would tire my voice in almost any case.

Its not only how much and fast you have to change modes. It depends on what vocals you are singing, what sound is intended for the notes in question how you are sliding and i believe even more points, but these are the ones coming up right now.

This is exactly what changing mode means...

Changing modes=changing the way you sing, how you approach a note. That includes changing the sound that is intended for the note...

edit:

as i said the context.

the stuff he does in those videos is out of a song context. As i said this could be the reason for him not doing it during a song.

I myself could do what he does after the songs in those videos but wouldnt do it during a song because it would tire my voice in almost any case.

Yes it is.

And you know, we're not demanding that he belts A4s constantly ;)

Studio and live recordings are hugely different, and for a reason. You're paying for the quality when you buy a CD/download, and it's something you'll have on repeat (most likely), so you want everything to pretty much be pitch perfect.

With a live show, you're not just paying for the vocals/sounds, but the visuals, atmosphere, set etc; it's a whole package. Yeah, it's also about quality of performance, but you can't expect that Matt's live sound will match the studio one; that's simply unrealistic.

Imo, it's better to have a bit of difference and imperfection live - it makes it more raw and real, not a polished and heavily-produced product.

Matt's not belting out crazy falsettos the way he used to, but he's much older now so I don't expect him to be the same as in their OoS years. Having said that, I think he's probably choosing to play it safe these days instead of just saying 'fuck it' and giving the harder notes a go. If he messes up, it'll hardly dent their live rep by much. He can just brush it off as an 'off' day and carry on.

With a live show, you're not just paying for the vocals/sounds, but the visuals, atmosphere, set etc; it's a whole package. Yeah, it's also about quality of performance, but you can't expect that Matt's live sound will match the studio one; that's simply unrealistic.

Not when he obviously can and just chooses not to...

Imo, it's better to have a bit of difference and imperfection live - it makes it more raw and real, not a polished and heavily-produced product.

Avoiding notes and doing them in falsetto because he's lazy or because he's afraid of failing is neither raw or real. Better to try and fail than to pussy out and not try at all.

Matt's not belting out crazy falsettos the way he used to, but he's much older now so I don't expect him to be the same as in their OoS years. Having said that, I think he's probably choosing to play it safe these days instead of just saying 'fuck it' and giving the harder notes a go. If he messes up, it'll hardly dent their live rep by much. He can just brush it off as an 'off' day and carry on.

Hmm, belting falsettos?

But anyway, this isn't about the falsetto. Matt's falsetto isn't the problem, and he doesn't dodge falsetto notes. He does them all the way they should be done.

Avoiding notes and doing them in falsetto because he's lazy or because he's afraid of failing is neither raw or real. Better to try and fail than to pussy out and not try at all.

Hmm, belting falsettos?

But anyway, this isn't about the falsetto. Matt's falsetto isn't the problem, and he doesn't dodge falsetto notes. He does them all the way they should be done.

1) Maybe he once could and now he can't

2) I already said I think he's playing it safe and should just give it a go. It's very real to be afraid to fail, which is why a lot of performers don't live up to their studio vocals.

3) If falsettos aren't the problem, what is? He doesn't deliver poor vocals, they're just not the same as they used to be.

Hmm, belting falsettos?

Megalomania does not agree with you. Neither does TaB or FG for that sake.

3) If falsettos aren't the problem, what is? He doesn't deliver poor vocals, they're just not the same as they used to be.

He can still hit all the notes he used to, chest and falsetto. Look at Hyper Music at L/R and when he belted that "Hello Leeds". The fact is he has all the ability he needs to pull off these high chest notes (Resistance, Feeling Good etc.) but he just doesn't do them and then for some reason blasts out even harder, higher notes when the songs are finished.

Why do people not understand this?

He can still hit all the notes he used to, chest and falsetto. Look at Hyper Music at L/R and when he belted that "Hello Leeds". The fact is he has all the ability he needs to pull off these high chest notes (Resistance, Feeling Good etc.) but he just doesn't do them and then for some reason blasts out even harder, higher notes when the songs are finished.

But that's just one example. He doesn't do that at the end of every song. I just think he's afraid he won't be able to do the notes as well. I think he still can, but there's a clear difference in the way he sings now to the way he used to - it's changed with age. Not in a bad way, but it's not as raw or intense, for lack of a better word.

1) Maybe he once could and now he can't

2) I already said I think he's playing it safe and should just give it a go. It's very real to be afraid to fail, which is why a lot of performers don't live up to their studio vocals.

1. Yes he can, proven by the fact that he has done it...He did it just a few months ago.

He hit the G4 in Resistance all the time in 2009 and a lot of the time in 2010, and then suddenly he stopped. And on one occasion he has avoided the G4 in the song, and then sung a much stronger B4 after the song.

2. That's twisting the words though, isn't it? If you look at it like that, it's real no matter what he does...because he does it :p I just don't see how not trying in fear of it not being perfect can be seen as raw or real.

3. The chest notes is the problem, the notes that he avoids and replaces with much easier falsetto notes. For an obvious example, check City of Delusion. There are also a bunch of links in the first pages of this thread.

Because it's ridiculous, even me can scream like he does in between songs and that doesn't mean I'm able to sing those notes, and yes, I know he can, even so there could be a lot of reasons for him not sing them. Assume he doesn't do it because he is lazy is a lazy argument itself.

Archived