Is Matt lazy live with his vocals?

Nipso

well, if you can't sing it, why record it? studio is a magical place, but i think they shouldn't record stuff that cannot be played live like it's supposed to.

it's as if he recorded some crazy ass guitar that took 248 takes to get right, and it sounds wicked, but live he just messes around or plays some simplified (and therefore boring) version.

that wouldn't be good for the best-live-act reputation now would it?

well, if you can't sing it, why record it? studio is a magical place, but i think they shouldn't record stuff that cannot be played live like it's supposed to.

it's as if he recorded some crazy ass guitar that took 248 takes to get right, and it sounds wicked, but live he just messes around or plays some simplified (and therefore boring) version.

This is all fine and dandy, but what is your point? What are you trying to say?

This is all fine and dandy, but what is your point? What are you trying to say?

don't record city of delusion in chest voice so that i cannot stand any of its live performances because of its inferiority to the studio version.

it hurts their live-band image.

City of Delusion is a really hard one, along with SFA. But songs like Ruled By Secrecy, Resistance and Feeling Good are all doable live, without having to avoid the high notes.

And lol, Muse are doing way worse things to hurt their band image, but no one gives a fuck.

Why bother with a studio, might as well just record live shows with that attitude, in fact, might as well only do it using two ribbon mics in X/Y in a room as everything else is fake.

He can sing it, without all that much difficulty usually, he just chooses not to.

The only songs I can accept him wimping out on the vocals with are City Of Delusion, Micro Cuts and Feeling Good. Everything else is perfectly achievable for him.

Why bother with a studio, might as well just record live shows with that attitude, in fact, might as well only do it using two ribbon mics in X/Y in a room as everything else is fake.

Dats how true music is man, none of dis auto-tune nonsense.

if what you meant is that i'm offtopic, well all i can say about his singing is that he's definitely not lazy. he just doesn't feel like he can pull it off, what's there to discuss. :rolleyes:

You say this like you actually KNOW the answer. Have you asked him?

And even if you did, how would you be sure that he was telling the truth?

Btw @Sippe, I've not noticed him wimping out with SFA and RBS before, which part do you mean?

Seriously? I don't even think there are any proshots of SFA where he does the ending like in studio.

SFA

studio

live

Ruled By Secrecy - "And no one"

studio

live

The vocals of Matt are a bit different live, but he is a great singer, much better than others, and remember that he is not only singing, at the same time he is playing a hell of chords in the guitar or in the piano and making the suffle dance :LOL:

The only singer i know who can sing exactly in the record and live is Brittney Spears... ...mimed

In this aspect Muse are very bad, they can't mime a song, sometimes even forget who is the singer and who is the drummer

Stockholm Syndrome and Resistance are quite blatant offenders of a lazy, lazy Bellamy.

We'll never get a proper "I Wish I Could" ever again :'(

Although it is worth remembering that, as mentioned above, Matt does play guitar as well as singing, and his vocal parts are quite challenging compared to most other pop rock singers. He generally does quite a good job, compared to some singers out there. I do feel that he's a little too conservative sometimes, is all.

I got quite bored of this argument yesterday, so I'll just summarize:

1. Matt avoids lots of high notes and difficult passages.

2. These notes are all definitely within his range. Matt has not lost any chest range.

3. Matt did some of these notes just a year ago, but now he doesn't(Resistance)

4. Pretty much all the difficult songs have been dropped.

5. Matt is Matt.

It's the best part of the song :( (the only good part of the song) HOW CAN YOU NOT PAY ATTENTION? :noey:

When I listen to SFA I just sit and wait for the ending, it's so immense <3

I like the chorus, but the ending is beautiful. The first time I listened to that song my young mind was blown.

It's gotta be remembered that he's playing guitar/piano along with singing these tracks, which is hard, and he would've recorded the studio versions without any of that. Then you have the fact that it's a live enviroment. If you have a niggling thought that you might not hit it well or just mess it up using your chest voice, in all likelihood you'll just take the easier option and use falsetto. Maybe it's a little lazy, but I think the main thing stopping him is probably apprehension, and making it slightly less powerful is better than totally fucking up in front of thousands. Although I'm sure he wouldn't have a huge problem singing it.

And surely another point to consider is that in an hour and a half gig or however long they play, surely you'd want to conserve your voice, which might mean sacrificing those notes?

If you have a niggling thought that you might not hit it well or just mess it up using your chest voice, in all likelihood you'll just take the easier option and use falsetto. Maybe it's a little lazy, but I think the main thing stopping him is probably apprehension, and making it slightly less powerful is better than totally fucking up in front of thousands.

If he's to avoid any note there is a slight possibility of him fucking up, which can in theory be any note, he might as well retire singing. I'm sure most people won't even notice if he slightly falter on a note or maybe even cracks.

Archived