james90

whammy tastic!

You don't like his floor then?

That photo has a Whammy 5, I had 3 Whammy 4's at one time!

184770_10150091416322091_6222028_n_zps9aa4d60d.jpg

:facepalm:

The chrome one was mine :)

I only have the whammy 5 now, but might pick up another whammy IV at some point because the MB-1 and other X-Y equipped guitars don't work properly with it. Do you still have a whammy IV rust_relic?

Here's my new toy. I picked it up from a friend who won it four years ago for a couple hundred bucks.

It's not a beauty but its one of the best Gibbys I've played in twenty years. New pickups will be ordered soon but the guitar is cherry.

JT

nice, what year? and more importantly, what's the ampeg amp in back of it?

James,

It's a 2009 SG Special. Plays wonderfully and as soon as I swap the buckers and rewire it with real components it will be an epic Gibson. I'm going with new 500k pots and better caps wired like the early Les Paul's were and then Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a 59 in the bridge. Low power and classic tone.

The little Ampeg is a 1962 Reverb-O-Rocket. It's a tube rectified two 6V6, 18 watt circuit. It's extremely clean and doesn't like to be forced to break up in the preamp, but sounds great with a pedal that is creating the overdrive internally. It sounds much like a Fender Deluxe with more midrange. I installed a Aiken amps version of a Greenback which was voiced for small combo amps and it sounds unreal. I love that little amp. I'll do some clips soon of it alone and it in stereo with my '62 Fender. It's awesome.

JT

Edited by Impulse 101

James,

It's a 2009 SG Special. Plays wonderfully and as soon as I swap the buckers and rewire it with real components it will be an epic Gibson. I'm going with new 500k pots and better caps wired like the early Les Paul's were and then Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a 59 in the bridge. Low power and classic tone.

The little Ampeg is a 1962 Reverb-O-Rocket. It's a tube rectified two 6V6, 18 watt circuit. It's extremely clean and doesn't like to be forced to break up in the preamp, but sounds great with a pedal that is creating the overdrive internally. It sounds much like a Fender Deluxe with more midrange. I installed a Aiken amps version of a Greenback which was voiced for small combo amps and it sounds unreal. I love that little amp. I'll do some clips soon of it alone and it in stereo with my '62 Fender. It's awesome.

JT

How are newer SG's?

Various 60's and 70's SG's, including Juniors are some of the best guitars I've ever played, playing a 2005/6 one was beyond a disappointment, had this fat, horrible unplayable neck.

Always been after an SG, would be nice to not have to go into the vintage market if I can avoid it.

Edited by haze015

Gibsons are always a total crap shoot. More miss than hit, but when you find a good one they are great. Unfortunately Gibson only lets the good ones out on accident.

JT

QFT. The Friday afternoon special seems to mean the opposite at Gibson, especially since their tone wood 'issues' have compounded their problems.

James,

JT

I forgot to ask, are you familiar with the brownface fender amps? I got a 1962-ish princeton combo a few weeks back and it sounds great. Seems like a really nice example too... really clean inside and out with the power cord being the only change. Even has the original power and rectifier tubes. I think one of the preamp tubes was stock, and the other was the wrong type. Replaced both though.

Should get a cap job done before playing it anymore as it's starting to make some odd noises...

and the new gibsons really are hit or miss. I haven't played any from the past couple of years, but there were two I used to have from the late 90's which I wish I still had. One was a LP DC which someone on here now owns, and the other a really nice LP standard with some unusual specs

Honestly, anything from Fender during that era is excellent. Get the Princeton a cap job and play the hell out of it. Those little Fenders have been on thousands of recordings. A compressor will turn it into an epic country machine too.

I had a great Standard back in the early 90's. Terrible pickups though.

I'm thinking of looking for one of the maple topped Studios from the early 00's. They are cheap, easy to fix up and I don't love binding on the neck so it might be a good way to get the tone without the $4k price tag.

JT

Edited by Impulse 101

Honestly, anything from Fender during that era is excellent. Get the Princeton a cap job and play the hell out of it. Those little Fenders have been on thousands of recordings. A compressor will turn it into an epic country machine too.

JT

I actually bought a colorsound compressor at the same time. I didn't realize it was a compressor at the time though :facepalm:

If I'm going to use this compressor, I'm more likely to play some stuff by the police than country. just need the rest of the effects and the ability to play the same way.

cap job needs to be done first though. it's actually runs quietly with a tiny bit of hum, but it has this odd crackle here and there which makes me think it's time to get it serviced... I should anyway, just because of age.

it's a great sounding amp - the only thing is that the tremolo (or whatever it's labeled as) seems really weak.

edit: Which pickups? The early 90's standards would have had the 490R/498T I think, but I had a 1990 with the bill lawrence designed circuit board pickups. Those sounded pretty nice.

And are you talking about a certain studio model in particular or just the regular one? They did loads of variations to the existing models in the late 90's/early 00's... same as they do now, but they actually had good ideas back then

here's my 2001 standard raw power. it's the same as the normal standard, just with a clear satin finish.

IMG_1802.jpg

It had the 490R/498T when I got it, and I wasn't happy with it. Nearly sold it actually, but then put a set of BKP black dogs in... sounds great now. playability could still be improved though.

Edited by james90

haven't been around these parts in quite a while.. good to see some familiar usernames still keeping K+T honest!

anyway, here's my rig as it currently fits together. has developed a fair bit since last i visited here

main axe is a fender MIJ tele standard. have had (and abused) this for years. god i love it. got no decent photos, but this is one from a recent gig (spoiler-ed for size):

1235333_159066200960423_328765927_n.jpg

board is pretty modular, depending on what kinda show we're playing. this is the standard setup (most pedals should be pretty familiar - the big blue/purple thing is a digitech jamman something or other. big, versatile, sounds like shit. good for live, shit for recording):

f672f718b6cd11e29fa922000a1f8feb_7.jpg

amp is a fender hot rod deluxe (pictured here next to our other guit player's LOVELY AC30. say what you will about the chinese-made ones, that thing sounds gorgeous):

99041a7ec13311e28e8322000a1f9686_7.jpg

Not sure how often you check the board, but look at this

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143583

50 watt head, el34 tubes. High input is sort of like the BE. Low input is a more plexi type circuit. The power section is kind of a jtm45 but no tube rectifier but similar lower filtering. Comes with a loop and a saturation switch for those that must have it. Price I believe will be 2499.99. No you can't a/b the inputs. It also has a thump knob the can tailor the low end. Need that to roll it out of the plexi side. Any other ?'s. Oh and the box for it will be offset with the logo to the left as usual.

Guessing this has a more classic sound, but with some extra gain available. I'd probably still get the BE-100 if I was going to buy one of the higher power ones...especially now that it apparently comes with a full EQ for the clean channel.