Ridiculous things people have said to you about Muse

rawrsomesauce

*Walks in*

I was at Brisbane night 1. I am a Muse fan. I enjoyed the show. Did not feel cheated.

*Leaves*

Feeling Good and Guiding Light vs. Bliss, Butterflies, Citizen Erased, Take A Bow, MK Ultra and Sunburn.

Yeah, you didn't get cheated at all. Not even slightly.

Even though Brisbane was a complete screw-up by Muse, I can kinda see their reasoning behind it ...

The first night was the normal in-the-round show and it seemed like Muse wanted to make it more of a 'show' with the more familiar songs and a very structured show. Whereas night 2 had no-one in seats behind the stage and felt very casual and laid-back with the whole in-ear-monitoring fail and older songs played. And even though older songs were played, the performance on night 1 kind of killed night 2.

Also, when I chatted to Tom Kirk briefly after the first night he said that the second night would be different as they were trying a few thing out for the rest of the tour.

And yes, I know most of this is completely unacceptable...

And even though older songs were played, the performance on night 1 kind of killed night 2.

This is interesting to know.

I also believe that night 1 got map and stockholm which weren't played on night 2. So it's a mixed bag.

Everyone just looks at guiding light and writes off the whole set list as crap.

Surely playing a shit setlist one night, and then playing a setlist that is obviously more fan oriented the second night (Wembley) and saying that "tonight is for the fans" isn't caring about your fans? There was also the extreme case of Brisbane.

Other than that we had the setlist polls, the Muscle Museum pedal that went missing, the towers "restricting setlists" everywhere except Australia and Turin, the "rehearsing with an orchestra" and the incredibly poor performances at some gigs (Roskilde etc). Then there was the little tour they did in Asia, with Dead Star being played twice never to be seen again, despite being a song that fans love and that Matt (apparently) loves playing. Let's not forget that they also went from 18 songs to 15 during their own arena tour. 15 songs is what they played at festivals during the summer. This is simply not acceptable. That is directly short-changing your fans, no matter how you look at it.

They have also mentioned in several interviews that they do in fact have a lot of control over what's going on, so that they don't get to write their own setlists seems highly unlikely to me. Tom Kirk even told Alix that "Matt puts a lot of effort into the setlist every night", which is also hilariously inaccurate.

No no, don't try to put this on anyone else. This tour has been all about making money, getting new fans and mind-fucking hardcores. Muse have a lot of control and so this is very likely to be their fault. They have been lazy and short-changing fans, both casuals and hardcores, and that's the simple truth.

I'm not saying Muse haven't made any mistakes, I'm just saying that no matter what you read or think, they don't have control over everything they do and it's not really fair to say that they don't care about their fans anymore.

The setlist thing, fine. 6 was better than 5--but if they'd played the same setlist (6th) both nights, you guys would be angry at them too for "not mixing it up" enough.

Take a step back and think about this: Muse are a band who've become global superstars in the past 10 years. It's because they have an awesome fanbase--we know it and they know it. Have they made tons and tons of money? Yes. And have they skipped some songs that the more hardcore fnas want to hear? Sure. But you have to realize, they have 5 full albums, plus b-sides, etc that they have to cull through and find 15-18 of the best songs they've got. And OF COURSE they're going to include more songs from the new album than anything else, that's just the way it goes. Is there some marketing to the more poppy fans going on? Yes. But that doesn't mean they're ripping off their hardcore fans either. They can't play CE, Bliss, Dead Star, etc etc every night--like I said, if they did, you'd be all angry because they play the same (good) setlist all the time.

My point is, they do love their fans, and you can't expect them to play the setlist you want to hear every time, then when they don't, mope around and tell everyone that Muse hate their fans, because they just don't.

And have they skipped some songs that the more hardcore fnas want to hear? Sure. But you have to realize, they have 5 full albums, plus b-sides, etc that they have to cull through and find 15-18 of the best songs they've got

Yes, they have 5 full albums and tons of b-sides etc. that puts them at about 100-something songs. How very curious then that they always manage to only play the same 15-18 songs all the fucking time.

And OF COURSE they're going to include more songs from the new album than anything else, that's just the way it goes.

This is fully expected and accepted by most people, including me. I'm not an idiot.

But that doesn't mean they're ripping off their hardcore fans either.

Playing 15 songs at your own arena gig when you have 5 full albums + tons of b-sides etc. is what I would call directly ripping fans off. Both hardcores and casuals. This is not up for debate, my friend.

They can't play CE, Bliss, Dead Star, etc etc every night--like I said, if they did, you'd be all angry because they play the same (good) setlist all the time.

Variation is what we're getting at here. No one is asking them to play CE, Bliss, Dead Star or whatever EVERY night. What we've been asking for the entire tour is some goddamn variation to the setlist. Have one or two slots where some older tracks can be rotated. Rehearse more songs to change around.

My point is, they do love their fans, and you can't expect them to play the setlist you want to hear every time, then when they don't, mope around and tell everyone that Muse hate their fans, because they just don't.

This is just really wrong. No one is moping because they're not playing setlists that are suited to someone's taste. Again, this is an issue of variation and settling for the same 15-18 songs every night.

I would like to make the argument that if a band love and respect their fans, they don't make a poll where people can vote for songs they want to hear at gigs, and then throw away the results, or take the easy way out (like playing KoC, PiB, Uprising etc. from the top 5).

A band that loves and respects fans shouldn't treat one night to only new songs, and then the next night to a bunch of older tracks that people are dying to hear. They shouldn't ignore the part of their fanbase that has been with them for several years, some from the very beginning perhaps, and only focus their attention on the new fans with money.

Everyone just looks at guiding light and writes off the whole set list as crap.

This.

Dee you act like a n00b, Muse's been playing basically the same setlist for most of their tours. Get over it.

Here's one of the biggest cheats right here. America has only had the opportunity to see Muse live for about 6-7 years. We got the tiny 15-18 arena gig setlists with only slight variations in a few of the shows, Bliss and Citizen Erased were only played once each in the American leg. Bliss maybe twice. And Take A Bow only a few times. There are some fantastic songs we have never heard. And now Muse are going to play a European festival that may be the last time many of these fantastic songs are ever heard. Bull-fucking-shit. I love Muse and always will. But the Resistance Tour was a "through the motions" tour that was more about building a reputation among new fans for playing the songs they know, and not the ones their much larger fanbase want to hear. I'm very hopeful the end of the Resistance Tour will be a change. Some songs from the Ukraine and Russia gigs have me hopeful, mainly Megalomania. But it was still almost identical to the Resistance Tour sets. The closest thing America got to Showbiz in the whole tour was fucking Nishe. It just angers me to see a Muse gig that's barely an hour and a half long and every song on the setlist be a single. Nishe being the exception.

Even though Brisbane was a complete screw-up by Muse, I can kinda see their reasoning behind it ...

The first night was the normal in-the-round show and it seemed like Muse wanted to make it more of a 'show' with the more familiar songs and a very structured show. Whereas night 2 had no-one in seats behind the stage and felt very casual and laid-back with the whole in-ear-monitoring fail and older songs played. And even though older songs were played, the performance on night 1 kind of killed night 2.

Also, when I chatted to Tom Kirk briefly after the first night he said that the second night would be different as they were trying a few thing out for the rest of the tour.

And yes, I know most of this is completely unacceptable...

This actually makes a bit of sense. They play it safe the first night, and if it goes well, they try something new and a little risky. Not saying I agree with it, but it makes sense.

This actually makes a bit of sense. They play it safe the first night, and if it goes well, they try something new and a little risky. Not saying I agree with it, but it makes sense.

Either way the second night is the best. A lot of people think this is just a Muse thing but it's actually quite common among bands who do 2 nights in any city.

A band that loves and respects fans shouldn't treat one night to only new songs, and then the next night to a bunch of older tracks that people are dying to hear. They shouldn't ignore the part of their fanbase that has been with them for several years, some from the very beginning perhaps, and only focus their attention on the new fans with money.

But that's variation :p

Edit: For the record, I agree Muse could be doing better, they need more varied setlists, etc. But they don't hate their fans.

But that's variation :p

Edit: For the record, I agree Muse could be doing better, they need more varied setlists, etc. But they don't hate their fans.

It's hard to figure why they would do the things they've done if they actually love us.

Wewhew beef!

Regarding Jimbo's original post, some things that you've heard I have to agree with, like Muse are a pop band. Admittedly they are one of the far rockier pop bands, but they have always been a pop band really.

About them not caring about their fans...bit far fetched, k whatever, I think that's a bit far fetched and I have to agree with Jim there. When the Brisbane sets got posted I was scrolling down, saw the first one and thought that was alright, then realised when I saw the second one what they were getting at...yes the second one is better and they really should vary their setlists better but it's just a bit stupid saying they don't care.

A few weeks ago when Megalomania was played again a few people complained that they didn't want it being played because it would make the R&L shows less special, then today I read a post saying that Muse better get their act together and knock out Hyper Music or Darkshines for LA Rising. Main Muse...you cannot win

Wewhew beef!

Regarding Jimbo's original post, some things that you've heard I have to agree with, like Muse are a pop band. Admittedly they are one of the far rockier pop bands, but they have always been a pop band really.

About them not caring about their fans...bit far fetched, k whatever, I think that's a bit far fetched and I have to agree with Jim there. When the Brisbane sets got posted I was scrolling down, saw the first one and thought that was alright, then realised when I saw the second one what they were getting at...yes the second one is better and they really should vary their setlists better but it's just a bit stupid saying they don't care.

A few weeks ago when Megalomania was played again a few people complained that they didn't want it being played because it would make the R&L shows less special, then today I read a post saying that Muse better get their act together and knock out Hyper Music or Darkshines for LA Rising. Main Muse...you cannot win

The people complaining about Meglomania are incredibly selfish if you ask me. I'd love to hear Meglomania and other OoS rarities in the US before R&L. You're getting a bunch of other stuff at those festivals the rest of the world aren't getting. So what if a few songs get played at a few gigs before hand? It's for the rest of us. I thought it was great Megalomania got played.

The people complaining about Meglomania are incredibly selfish if you ask me. I'd love to hear Meglomania and other OoS rarities in the US before R&L. You're getting a bunch of other stuff at those festivals the rest of the world aren't getting. So what if a few songs get played at a few gigs before hand? It's for the rest of us. I thought it was great Megalomania got played.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding that. I'm going to Reading, and I don't think it ruins it at all, I quite like seeing them playing it, gets me excited, plus at Reading I'll get the whole of the album, so I don't see anything wrong with others that have paid a lot for their own tickets to get some of those rarities too

On topic...Kinda regarding Muse...my best friend says I look like Matt Bellamy. Really?

7d782457-e20f-4125-9685-5700fc463929.jpg

5797010252_f8784c640b_z.jpg

I'm in the same boat as you regarding that. I'm going to Reading, and I don't think it ruins it at all, I quite like seeing them playing it, gets me excited, plus at Reading I'll get the whole of the album, so I don't see anything wrong with others that have paid a lot for their own tickets to get some of those rarities too

On topic...Kinda regarding Muse...my best friend says I look like Matt Bellamy. Really?

7d782457-e20f-4125-9685-5700fc463929.jpg

5797010252_f8784c640b_z.jpg

No.

Ok this ismy first post in this thread but I have to disagee with some of what you said b4 and I don't think this is because I'm obsesed or something.I just love Muse,their songs and their opinion on some subjects.

So,I have to say that:

1.They actually DO care about their fans and that why they keeping on making one hundrend gigs a year.

2.Their setlist are very good and,why do you all pasionately hate Guiding Light?Ok it seems that these guys like it and I like it too.Anyway,that's just my opinion though.;):stunned:

Ok this ismy first post in this thread but I have to disagee with some of what you said b4 and I don't think this is because I'm obsesed or something.I just love Muse,their songs and their opinion on some subjects.

So,I have to say that:

1.They actually DO care about their fans and that why they keeping on making one hundrend gigs a year.

2.Their setlist are very good and,why do you all pasionately hate Guiding Light?Ok it seems that these guys like it and I like it too.Anyway,that's just my opinion though.;):stunned:

Uhm, they do hundred gigs a year to gain even more fame and a bigger fanbase, not to please current fans. And not all passionately hate Guiding Light, I like it aswell. It's not great by any means but it's pretty decent and fun.

Archived