Ridiculous things people have said to you about Muse

rawrsomesauce

Muse is pop??????? :eek: YOU ARE A FUCKING RETARD.

+infinity

if you think Muse is a pop band ur retarded as well

And this is why main muse has become so unbearable.

Muse are a pop band (at least with their last two albums), although, I think Stephens definition of pop is a little confusing (what defines whether something is popular?)

There is a difference between a band that makes pop (as in the genre, with very confusing definitions), and a pop band (ie a popular band). IMO.

It gets confusing when people start treating broad terms as genres - eg people who treat Indie as a genre, rather than independent music.

And this is why main muse has become so unbearable.

Muse are a pop band (at least with their last two albums), although, I think Stephens definition of pop is a little confusing (what defines whether something is popular?)

There is a difference between a band that makes pop (as in the genre, with very confusing definitions), and a pop band (ie a popular band). IMO.

It gets confusing when people start treating broad terms as genres - eg people who treat Indie as a genre, rather than independent music.

You're right. Muse is a pop band in the meaning that they make popular music and not a pop band as in they make music in the genre of pop. This is why I prefer calling them a rock or a pop-rock band. But I totally agree with the main-musers saying they aren't a pop band because I interpret that as they make pop music which they don't.

Ugh... I hate that term...

I wouldn't consider them a full on pop band. More rock band, yes they do have popular songs but they keep strongly to rock formatting (vocals, guitar, bass, drums, keys). While they use multi tracked vocals and use effects on the signal (eg. The chorus effect at Glastonbury) , I doubt they use auto-tune. They just record until he gets it right. You can spot the use of auto-tune when an act plays live but a lot of people say their live performances are even better.

Of course what you think is what you think. Not my problem

So, System of a Down is pop, too.

Yes.

Stephen probably has his own definition of boy-band aswell making Muse one. Something like; They're all boys in a band which do make them a boy-band :rolleyes:

Yep. :awesome: The wonders of language, eh?

Oh, don't forget Metallica, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, and Pearl Jam!!

All pop, yeah.

Sunn O))) :awesome:

fair play

I'd honestly agree with everything you've said so far if the stereotype for pop wasn't Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus, and Rebecca Black...:(

just cause that's the stereotype, doesn't mean it's right.

I'd honestly agree with everything you've said so far if the stereotype for pop wasn't Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus, and Rebecca Black...:(

Aren't you getting the point? Pop music isn't limited to those examples. Like, from the bands you listed, Radiohead for example have stated their reverence for The Beatles and their desire to, like the Beatles, do perfect three minute pop songs. Pop music is generally quite simple in sound and structure, and AC/DC only know four chords. You could have made a better list :p (Also, why did you use Kanye West as an example of bad pop there? Go listen to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, the best album of last year. He's fantastic. So is, to a much lesser extent though, Lady Gaga.)

Aren't you getting the point? Pop music isn't limited to those examples. Like, from the bands you listed, Radiohead for example have stated their reverence for The Beatles and their desire to, like the Beatles, do perfect three minute pop songs. Pop music is generally quite simple in sound and structure, and AC/DC only know four chords. You could have made a better list :p (Also, why did you use Kanye West as an example of bad pop there? Go listen to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, the best album of last year. He's fantastic. So is, to a much lesser extent though, Lady Gaga.)

Well, by stereotype, I meant the kind of music that usually pops in my head when someone mentions "pop music". I imagine pretty much anything played on a certain local radio station here... :LOL:

Okay, you got me on the Radiohead and AC/DC part... I dunno why I said AC/DC; I hate them for the exact reason you said....

Kanye West is good? I guess I gotta go try him out...

Archived