Uprising Covered on American Idol

Hammertym3

Fellow Americans, stay tuned for the James Durbin effect -- formerly known as the Twilight effect -- on the next US tour! Imagine being mobbed in the pit by platoons of fangirls and the deafening screams left and right: "Ohhhh myyyyy GAWD, It's the James Durbin song!!!! It's almost as good as Jamesie's version!!!"

Honestly, it wasn't too bad at first, though quite bland with a couple out-of-tune notes. But the last chorus.... dear god, I thought I heard a cat getting sucked into a vacuum cleaner with fangs.

So true.

I'm listening to the studio version now, and well... I suppose he's not that bad a singer, but AI is based purely on live performances, so does it matter?

I watched it when it aired in Australia to see what the other judges said, and I just sat there with my dad in utter disbelief at the whole program... especially his performance. The live instrumentation was.. ugh.

But yeah, studio version's better because it's not flat and actually sounds like a decent cover, but the instrumentation was at a faster tempo, and the way he uses tenuto in the first chorus in this version and the live version is really getting on my nerves (picky, I know, but it just sounds wrong!)(right, tenuto=in this case, kind of stringing out all the notes to their full value and having smaller gaps inbetween them... doesn't sound right, does it?)

Anyway... mees gonna stop rambling at midnight ;) But yeah, this whole cover has just been an epic fail.

Totally agree with these. I only began to think disaster when he got to the high notes he tried to do. Before it, was just a bit bland. And yes, I think on AI, it should be all about live performances. Aren't they looking for real talent?

Totally agree with these. I only began to think disaster when he got to the high notes he tried to do. Before it, was just a bit bland. And yes, I think on AI, it should be all about live performances. Aren't they looking for real talent?

Funny thing is, they're doing it through a live show, but really what they are after is a recording artist, who's gonna make an album and sell singles on itunes like crazy!

And speaking of crazy, I know it's bad but I think I preferred when the guy screams the lines! At least there's something going on.. the rest to me is kind of ordinary fringing on boring..

And I don't care how high the guy screams, on the lower range he's got nothing on Bellamy! Musically to me Uprising isn't the most interesting song but at least with Matt's singing it's got some... meaning, texture, emotion, y'know..

Biased of course but still, I think what annoys me the most about the performance is how bonkers they all go for it. I don't think it was shit, but really, it certainly wasn't great either!!

Now, THAT's a much better job...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZRKa2BP_EE

I would honestly have less of a problem with this if there weren't so many people who honestly think his version was better. A lot of them even supported Durbin by saying his was live and not edited for the studio (like, have they even heard Muse play this song live?)

I honestly thought he did ok. Don't think it's terrible at all. I'm pretty sure Muse fans just slag of anything that covers Muse. Impressive high notes. He looks an absolute muppet tho and he's certainly not a patch on Adam Lambert who he quite clearly is trying to imitate.

I honestly thought he did ok. Don't think it's terrible at all. I'm pretty sure Muse fans just slag of anything that covers Muse. Impressive high notes. He looks an absolute muppet tho and he's certainly not a patch on Adam Lambert who he quite clearly is trying to imitate.

Tbh, there was nothing impressive about his falsetto notes. Singing high does not make it impressive when the technique, control and tone is awful or mediocre.

That's debatable...

Funny thing is, they're doing it through a live show, but really what they are after is a recording artist, who's gonna make an album and sell singles on itunes like crazy!

And speaking of crazy, I know it's bad but I think I preferred when the guy screams the lines! At least there's something going on.. the rest to me is kind of ordinary fringing on boring..

And I don't care how high the guy screams, on the lower range he's got nothing on Bellamy! Musically to me Uprising isn't the most interesting song but at least with Matt's singing it's got some... meaning, texture, emotion, y'know..

Biased of course but still, I think what annoys me the most about the performance is how bonkers they all go for it. I don't think it was shit, but really, it certainly wasn't great either!!

Now, THAT's a much better job...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZRKa2BP_EE

Well, duh they're not looking for real talent, I knew that! But they're "supposed to". And yea, it is ironic how they should do well live, but then they become recording artists and hardly go on tour or anything!

Well, duh they're not looking for real talent, I knew that! But they're "supposed to". And yea, it is ironic how they should do well live, but then they become recording artists and hardly go on tour or anything!

Hmm, what are you basing this on? Isn't there a live tour with the American Idol? and then if they become selling artists, ofc they'll tour.

Hmm, what are you basing this on? Isn't there a live tour with the American Idol? and then if they become selling artists, ofc they'll tour.

What I'm saying is their major profit tends to come from recording (perhaps profit isn't the right word, because thats the way it is with most bands), and less focus is on the touring. Maybe its just me not paying attention, but I can't remember the last time I heard any promotion for an Idol star touring, unless its of course directly related to the show. Honestly, I don't watch the show, so I'm basing this off of vague things I remember from years ago :)

What I'm saying is their major profit tends to come from recording (perhaps profit isn't the right word, because thats the way it is with most bands), and less focus is on the touring. Maybe its just me not paying attention, but I can't remember the last time I heard any promotion for an Idol star touring, unless its of course directly related to the show. Honestly, I don't watch the show, so I'm basing this off of vague things I remember from years ago :)

Adam Lambert.

But that's because the show isn't about finding real talents. The money comes from the contest itself, and not really from the artists who won or got a contract. And that's because people usually don't buy the crap.

In Sweden for example, the winners are given the record deal that they are promised, but as soon as that is done, they aren't interesting anymore. Idol is very much about who is a favourite at the moment. As soon as the contest ends, not many people stick with them.

I guess most of this post is agreeing with your point though, but honestly, without a good record, they aren't gonna be able to tour obviously. And since most of the contestants aren't able to write their own songs, it's gonna turn out shit.

Adam Lambert.

But that's because the show isn't about finding real talents. The money comes from the contest itself, and not really from the artists who won or got a contract. And that's because people usually don't buy the crap.

In Sweden for example, the winners are given the record deal that they are promised, but as soon as that is done, they aren't interesting anymore. Idol is very much about who is a favourite at the moment. As soon as the contest ends, not many people stick with them.

I guess most of this post is agreeing with your point though, but honestly, without a good record, they aren't gonna be able to tour obviously. And since most of the contestants aren't able to write their own songs, it's gonna turn out shit.

pretty much, in my opinion, the only successful people to stayed in the mainstream media from idol would be kelly clarkson and carrie underwood. Everyone else got like 1 album out that nobody bought and just stood in the shadows.

pretty much, in my opinion, the only successful people to stayed in the mainstream media from idol would be kelly clarkson and carrie underwood. Everyone else got like 1 album out that nobody bought and just stood in the shadows.

Once again, Adam Lambert.

That's not just Idol, it's mainstream music in general. Singers are known for that catchy song on the radio. Once the song gets old, nobody wants to hear from them again. However Idol does contribute, having so many singers walk in and out of the doors makes it seem normal that singers show up, perform and get disposed of just as easily.

Hence why music is going downhill.

Adam Lambert.

I'm right, your right, world is good.

Yes, forgot about Adam... can you tell that I don't really give a shit about pop culture? :chuckle:

Once again, Adam Lambert.

So thats three. Unless you want to count David Archuleta (who didn't win) as a half; he's practically on a Disney float like Simon said (I remember that much somehow).

Archived