I'm okay with that part :p

But I definitely think they're going to have to expand their setlists to accommodate for their new material. I went to see System of a Down (incidentally, a concert they were apparently recording for a live album :D) ,recently, and they played about 25 songs. Granted, most weren't as long as a Muse song typically is, but even so, it allowed for a wealth of older songs and new ones. The setlist was absolutely brilliant, probably the best I've ever seen. I think Muse need to start thinking more heavily on what makes a good show, and what songs are popular. I definitely think they need to expand the shows. Even two more songs played could make a huge difference.

showbiz and darkshines?:D:D but I agree, an extended setlist would be preferable, not only to make room for new songs, but also to provide a chance to... um... "synchronize" the older and newer songs, so that the show would have a proper flow. this will only become harder and harder considering the difference in style between a tr and oos song, but I think they'll manage. I'm hopeful as always:)

showbiz and darkshines?:D:D but I agree, an extended setlist would be preferable, not only to make room for new songs, but also to provide a chance to... um... "synchronize" the older and newer songs, so that the show would have a proper flow. this will only become harder and harder considering the difference in style between a tr and oos song, but I think they'll manage. I'm hopeful as always:)

:yesey:

But yes, as awesome as they were when I went to see them, the setlist was all over the place. On the whole, it was really just a collection of singles, with a few exceptions, and whilst I understand that it is important to play a wealth of singles, a few rarer songs could definitely improve the pacing.

Edited by bumpypotato

:yessey:

But yes, as awesome as they were when I went to see them, the setlist was all over the place. On the whole, it was really just a collection of singles, with a few exceptions, and whilst I understand that it is important to play a wealth of singles, a few rarer songs could definitely improve the pacing.

I don't mind that they play quite a few singles - it's to be expected of any band. It's the fact that it's always the same singles. Seriously, Starlight, TIRO and Knights never needed to be played at every gig - swap them out for other singles from time-to-time.

I don't mind that they play quite a few singles - it's to be expected of any band. It's the fact that it's always the same singles. Seriously, Starlight, TIRO and Knights never needed to be played at every gig - swap them out for other singles from time-to-time.

Hyper Music :awesome:

Hyper Music :awesome:

Or (to be more realistic) something like SFA, Invincible or Apocalypse Please. Surely, it bores them to play the same songs at every gig? A lot of it, when thought about, doesn't even make sense.

I'm in setlist/general Muse ranting mode at the moment - this thread isn't the best place to try and contain it :chuckle:

Personally, it's ridiculous for you to think that those songs SHOULDN'T be played every gig. Every band who is of any size what so ever plays a minimum of 15-20 of the same songs every single night. Muse certainly don't sell anywhere near as much in terms of albums/singles as their competitors(Foos/Green Day/RHCP/Coldplay), so it's fair to say anything that isn't played on the radio is unknown material for a lot of the people who attend the gigs. With Muse it's the fact that they don't play for long enough, especially at their Arena shows, which then leaves them no room to include rarer songs.

Personally' date=' it's ridiculous for you to think that those songs SHOULDN'T be played every gig. [b']Every band who is of any size what so ever plays a minimum of 15-20 of the same songs every single nigh[/b]t. Muse certainly don't sell anywhere near as much in terms of albums/singles as their competitors(Foos/Green Day/RHCP/Coldplay), so it's fair to say anything that isn't played on the radio is unknown material for a lot of the people who attend the gigs. With Muse it's the fact that they don't play for long enough, especially at their Arena shows, which then leaves them no room to include rarer songs.

Someone clearly doesn't pay attention to Radiohead then.

I'm saying they'd still have enough material that casuals know in the setlists if they left/swapped out a couple every now and again. If you're a casual fan, you can't expect the setlists to be tailored entirely towards you - you have to go there expecting material you haven't heard before to be played. It's not all about going to hear songs you already know, it's about discovering new ones too.

Someone clearly doesn't pay attention to Radiohead then.

Radioheads last 2 shows, 15 of the same songs were played each night,?:LOL:

If you're a casual fan, you can't expect the setlists to be tailored entirely towards you - you have to go there expecting material you haven't heard before to be played. It's not all about going to hear songs you already know, it's about discovering new ones too.

no, that is correct. But when you go to a muse arena show, they play the 15 same songs every night, then its show over.

When you go to a Radiohead arena show, they play the same 15 songs every night, but then they go on to play another 8 songs on top,

Edited by matt <3 muse

Radioheads last 2 shows' date=' 15 of the same songs were played each night,?:LOL:[/quote']

You said "every single night". I can tell you right now that they vary it up considerably more than Muse who keep the same base setlist (varying up the odd song in set rotational spots) for just about every gig on a tour.

My point is this - you can predict a Muse gig pretty easily for almost an entire tour, not just what songs will be played but the exact order as well - this shouldn't happen.

You said "every single night". I can tell you right now that they vary it up considerably more than Muse who keep the same base setlist (varying up the odd song in set rotational spots) for just about every gig on a tour.

But when your Matt sitting in a room writing the setlist, and you have 15 hits to fit into a 15 song set (not including jams/interlude) you obviously are going to keep the same basic setlist.

When your Thom sitting in a room writing the setlist, and you have 15 hits to fit into a 23 song setlist, you can sit there and think ok, this rarity will fit in between these two songs etc...Which is how variation comes about.

If Muse played the same 15 songs in a different order every night, it wouldnt make any difference because its still just the same 15 songs.

Or (to be more realistic) something like SFA, Invincible or Apocalypse Please. Surely, it bores them to play the same songs at every gig? A lot of it, when thought about, doesn't even make sense.

Yeah just venting my hopes and expectations.

trololol

Wait, Invincible? NOOOO :eek:

But yeah SFA, Apocalypse, Map, Butterflies & Hurricanes. ect.

Right...

But when your Matt sitting in a room writing the setlist' date=' and you have 15 hits to fit into a 15 song set (not including jams/interlude) you obviously are going to keep the same basic setlist.[/quote']

Not every Muse gig had 15 songs. The ones that had 20 or 21 were still as predictable as I said. I went to the Manchester gig in 2010 which had about 20/21 songs and predicted most of the setlist - exceptions were Butterflies, MOTP, Take A Bow and maybe Citizen Erased. Four songs that made me say "Oh, didn't see that coming"? Not enough, if you ask me.

When your Thom sitting in a room writing the setlist, and you have 15 hits to fit into a 23 song setlist, you can sit there and think ok, this rarity will fit in between these two songs etc...Which is how variation comes about.

The songs Thom/the band kept the same won't all have been hits - that's one of the best things about Radiohead's setlists, they don't cater to casuals.

If Muse played the same 15 songs in a different order every night, it wouldnt make any difference because its still just the same 15 songs.

Yes it would, it would get rid of at least some of the predictability.

Edited by Jobby

To be honest, I really hope the next album is full of good live tracks. I think that's part of what made this tour so stagnant. There were only a few really good live tracks on it. In fact, the only one I thought went really well live was Uprising. I think the fact that there was very little new material that was actually decent live or regularly played meant that they effectively fell back on the Black Holes setlist, with a few songs swapped out for the new ones. If all goes well and this album kicks all kinds of ass, I'm hopeful we'll have a more interesting tour.

But when your Matt sitting in a room writing the setlist, and you have 15 hits to fit into a 15 song set (not including jams/interlude) you obviously are going to keep the same basic setlist.

Why are you even arguing about a possible situation like Muse HAVE to play 15 songs?

Or that they HAVE to play all their hits?

To be honest, I really hope the next album is full of good live tracks. I think that's part of what made this tour so stagnant. There were only a few really good live tracks on it. In fact, the only one I thought went really well live was Uprising. I think the fact that there was very little new material that was actually decent live or regularly played meant that they effectively fell back on the Black Holes setlist, with a few songs swapped out for the new ones. If all goes well and this album kicks all kinds of ass, I'm hopeful we'll have a more interesting tour.

Well Dom told a fan that this was the case do lets hope he's right! :)

With any luck there'll be more variety of songs on this tour, given Muse seemed to eager to fall back on the classics on the last tour.

Even if that variety is just swapping out, say, UD and TiRO for Butterflies & Hurricanes and Hyper Music every 2 or 3 shows, that's still more variety than most of the TR tour managed.

Oh and that SWU bill would almost certainly be one of the most expensive bills ever. Though personally I'd put Muse above The Killers.

Even if that variety is just swapping out, say, UD and TiRO for Butterflies & Hurricanes and Hyper Music every 2 or 3 shows, that's still more variety than most of the TR tour managed.

That's probably never gonna get played again, let alone rotated.

That's probably never gonna get played again, let alone rotated.

I think it's safe to say Hyper Music, if even played, will be a rarity. Which is fair enough, it does seem quite draining on their voices, however another replacement could be something like Dark Shines, or maybe even Fury or the Small Print. my theory is, if this album is much more energetic then The Resistance, even if they have predictable setlists, the shows will be much better, and complaints will be kept to a minimum. Songs like Guiding Light and Undisclosed Desires just dragged to much.