The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Ok, this is how I have mine set up:

GUITAR -- Volume pedal -- Crybaby -- Treble booster -- Fuzz factory -- Memory man -- Small stone -- Whammy -- AMP

Is this a good way to set it up? I looked at the pedal order page the guy before had but it didn't make Fuzz or Whammy positions clear.

I also have a line selectro and Proco rat 2 pedals that I don't use. Would these be ood in the setup and if so, how?

Semi unrelated, my fuzz sounds horrible. I used to have an Marshall SLP stack until i blew it up, so i downsized to a DSL 401. Since then my FF sounds horrible. There's a sort of ticking noise that goes through the amp when the pedal is used in anyway decent. It's very hard to make squeals or use any sounds it makes. Any suggestions to how to remedy this? Or anyone else having this problem?

Ok, this is how I have mine set up:

GUITAR -- Volume pedal -- Crybaby -- Treble booster -- Fuzz factory -- Memory man -- Small stone -- Whammy -- AMP

Is this a good way to set it up? I looked at the pedal order page the guy before had but it didn't make Fuzz or Whammy positions clear.

I also have a line selectro and Proco rat 2 pedals that I don't use. Would these be ood in the setup and if so, how?

Semi unrelated, my fuzz sounds horrible. I used to have an Marshall SLP stack until i blew it up, so i downsized to a DSL 401. Since then my FF sounds horrible. There's a sort of ticking noise that goes through the amp when the pedal is used in anyway decent. It's very hard to make squeals or use any sounds it makes. Any suggestions to how to remedy this? Or anyone else having this problem?

put your fuzz factroy first and it'll behave.

did you try the whammy in your fx loop?

no, found out my amp doesn't have one :facepalm:

but, i think i've a gammy power supply. I had to get a US-UK power adaptor, and it's a bit..... crackly? like the latency is fucked on it. (i think that's the right term) so i'm going to order a digitech power supply.

can you buy some sort of pedal that does the same as an FX loop?

An effects loop puts pedals between the preamp and the poweramp so the only way to get one if you don't have one would be to mod your amp. There are a few guides out there to do it with Epi VJ's and a few other amps so there may be a way to do it to your amp. Although there are very high voltages within amps so I wouldn't really do it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

What about the rest of it? Does it all seem in the rightish place? I'm not sure about the whammy going last.

Personally I'd put the whammy as early n the chain as possible. People are often mislead by Morello's setup as he has it in the effects loop, but his Marshall is cranked to fuck so technically everything is before distortion, so a bit misleading.

i think i've got my (disappointing) board sorted...should it be like this?

tuner > whammy > wah > a/b switch for amps

EQ (in FX loop of one of the amps)

i wasn't sure what order the whammy and wah should be in, OR if any of them should be in the fx loop? i never really liked the sound of a wah in the FX loop anyway..

;6463663']aaah help

i have

guitar

boss od-2

compressor

dd-3

boss phaser

boss eq

fuzz factory

kp2

amp

order!?

-fuzz factory

phaser

od2

compressor-

amp

loop

<kp2

dd3

eq>

would be my probably order. not sure about the EQ and the compressor though. maybe EQ before the amp, depends how you're using it. same with the compressor i guess, you might want it right after the fuzz factory.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys Im wondering if any of you can help with my pedal board order.

I do have an effects loop but at the moment its easier to put everything before amp

I have my wireless transmitter which would go after my guitar

Then I have my whammy, delay and into a zoom pedal that i keep on bypass just for tuning and the volume pedal then to my amp

any thoughts on what I should change order of?

Cheers Dave x

If your Zoom is ok in bypass, put that first so you don't have to switch everything else of to tune. Then I'd probably go with the volume pedal, you can mute while you tune then if your Zoom doesn't already do that. Then go with the whammy, then the delay.

have your zoom pedal on the "dry out" on your whammy so that it's not in the signal chain. I'd go whammy, volume, delay. This way you can do volume swells into the delay pedal without having to use your guitar's volume pot.

Good call with the Zoom. Yeah you might be best with the volume after the whammy too, I think the tracking gets even worse if you are running a quieter signal into them.

Good call with the Zoom. Yeah you might be best with the volume after the whammy too, I think the tracking gets even worse if you are running a quieter signal into them.

This, though you can get cool sounds out of it, better left to be an option with the guitar's volume. And have it before delay.

Dont want to throw away my wirless kit its brilliant

New Line 6 relay g30 theres its actually better than using a lead and u can replicate the tone that you would gtet with different sizes of leads like 5m etc

u should check out some reviews!

And btw my volume pedal I was talking about was on my zoom pedal when its on bypass it works as volume pedal and tuner.

Archived