The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

See if that pad switch does anything much too while you're at it plx ;)

Will do immediately after it arrives.

:D.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Wah >> EX-7 >> Satchurator >> DD6.

EX7's FTFW.

I know, I know. The EX7 really sucks tone doesnt it? It's filling in until I can afford an actual Whammy pedal.

Will do immediately after it arrives.

:D.

I know, I know. The EX7 really sucks tone doesnt it? It's filling in until I can afford an actual Whammy pedal.

ftfw = for the fucking win n00by. and compared to the whammy, it doesnt suck tone at all. as much as i miss my whammy, im glad i have the ex-7. so much more fun. i still have my whammy. it's a little bit "in pieces".

OK, thanks in advance.

Akai Intelliphase Phaser

Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

Big Muff

Behringer US600 Pitch Shifter

Boss TR-2 Tremolo

Behringer EM600 Echo Machine

I have a vague idea of what order they should be in but I'm not 100% positive. I do like to have the Akai at the start of the chain so here's a starting point.

Akai Intelliphase -->

OK, thanks in advance.

Akai Intelliphase Phaser

Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

Big Muff

Behringer US600 Pitch Shifter

Boss TR-2 Tremolo

Behringer EM600 Echo Machine

I have a vague idea of what order they should be in but I'm not 100% positive. I do like to have the Akai at the start of the chain so here's a starting point.

Akai Intelliphase -->

id be going:

US600 -> TR-2 -> Intelliphase -> Muff -> OS-2 -> EM600

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be better to get a Digitech multi-fx pedalboard that emulates a DigiTech Whammy, or better to just get the Whammy?

I have a decent sized pedal board (with conditioner) that has plenty of room for the whammy, but i'm not sure how the other pedals work with a multi-fx....

Fox example would it go:

Guitar > MultiFX > Pedal Board (Wah Wah - Phaser - Distortion - Delay - Suppressor) > Amp

or

Guitar > Pedal Board > MultiFX > Amp

or does the Multi-FX plug in to the Pedal Boards conditioner???

And then why would anyone get the whammy pedal if you can just get the multi-fx (for a bit more money) or do you lose certain features?

the stand alone whammy would have more features (i'm guessing the multi wouldn't have all the features the whammy has) although a lot of them aren't that useful. i'd guess the whammy would be slightly better quality too, although it's notoriously bad anyway... if you don't need the other FX from the multi go with the whammy, but if you'd find the multi useful then it would be a good shout.

before, then you have the option of distortion before or after your crybaby? if you like the sound of that, if not put it after.

edit: that was me assuming the EX-7 has distortion, does it?

Yeah it has several different styles... Though to use the distortion you have to use whatever effect it's on so i hear so that can be a pain.... but i'll probably just end up using the distortion i've got now or my amps lead channel i suppose. neither are that great but they're not bad.

Hiya ive got my self a Fuzz Factory, Boss CS-3, Boss OS-2, Boss TU-2, MXR Phase 90 and was wondering what the best way to have them would be or best selection to use togeather.

Wouldnt mind adding in a Digitech Whammy or Wah Probe too at some point some tips on placement for those.

It doesnt have to, its all down to preference really. Having it in the later stages of the signal means its phasing the whole sound, thus giving a "true phaser sound". If you have it behind a wah for example, the wahs going to affect the phasing if you use them both at the same time (making more trebly/bassy etc). Most people want a smooth phase sound, so its generally accepted that, along with all the other modulation effects, it goes near the end of your chain.

Hiya ive got my self a Fuzz Factory, Boss CS-3, Boss OS-2, Boss TU-2, MXR Phase 90 and was wondering what the best way to have them would be or best selection to use togeather.

Wouldnt mind adding in a Digitech Whammy or Wah Probe too at some point some tips on placement for those.

Guitar > Phase 90 > Fuzz Factory > CS-3 > OS-2 > TU-2 > Amp

The phasing from the Phase 90 will cause the FF's oscillation to modulate in pitch and you can't use any Boss pedals in front of it if you want oscillate and all the other weird stuff the FF does.

It doesnt have to, its all down to preference really. Having it in the later stages of the signal means its phasing the whole sound, thus giving a "true phaser sound". If you have it behind a wah for example, the wahs going to affect the phasing if you use them both at the same time (making more trebly/bassy etc). Most people want a smooth phase sound, so its generally accepted that, along with all the other modulation effects, it goes near the end of your chain.

Actually having it before keeps the modulation under control and retains the overall sound. The majority of people put it after purely because they think they should, then wonder why the effect is too dramatic and in a live situation, not particularly pretty, unless you're cranking amps, the earlier in your chain it is, the better, unless you're using it sparingly for that effect.

• 3 months later...

Archived