The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

I hope you're not playing U2 with those delay pedals!

Jonneh - looking good!

give me a verbzilla for some shimmer and i'm there haha.

I need to maybe either play around with the placement of the RAT or perhaps invest in another down the chain. Currently hitting distortion even with just a slight bit of reverb creates a weird low-fi crunch. It's cool, but i miss being able to get some radiohead br00talz :(

paul I don't understand your problem with the rat. None of your other pedals should effect the sound you're getting from the rat significantly. They should just add reverb or delay on top.

to be fair. my use of the holy grail is pretty much set with the band i'm playing.. it's on pretty much all the time. The rat isn't playing nice with it and basically the distortion is sounding a bit too spacey and delayed.

The HG to be fair is turned up quite high... i'm gonna start using a line selector i've got more, might be time to seperate the space from the rawwk.

Some people tend to think they need to add reverb to their sound all the time to re-create the effect of being in a room. What they forget is that they're actually in a room. Don't use reverb after your rat unless it's for a solo or an ambient section or the like.

Heh, 'tis all subjective isn't it? Sometimes it can sound fucking awful and shrill but if I'm just wanting to make a heap of fuzzy noise (which I do a lot at home, not so much in a band setting) it's brilliant :)

yeh its totally subjective. i find it muddies up the sound too much for me

gwah! amp reverb on distorted sounds is awful for me

its ok on cleans though, but i tend to still leave it off

Think it depends on the amp and the use. Listen to Dick Dale playing Misrolou and that sounds amazing with verb and a well overdriven amp.

i hate reverb on guitar, dunno why.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

good god you're mad.

i think i live for reverb. BLEUGHHHH when it's distorted. i dont really play cleans without reverb tbh. its quite awesome :happy:

• 3 months later...

i'm just finally getting around to having a pretty nice FX lineup, but i want to make sure i have it in the correct order. The pedals i'll have in the loop are:

Digitech Whammy

Big Muff Pi with Tone and Wicker

ZVex Super Hard On (Using this for Overdrive, so treat it as an OD pedal)

ZVex Fuzz Factory

Calgate (Fancy Noise Gate)

Behringer Phaser

Korg MiniKP

So, am i correct in guessing that the setup should be:

Input > Digitech Whammy > Overdrive(s) > Fuzz(s) > Modulation > Amp?

edit:

found this: http://guitarpedalboard.tumblr.com/post/34810459/order-order

Dirt as I said with gate at the end I guess. Then whammy phaser and kp in loop. Unless you want phase pre gain. You might want you whammy infront of the muff too. Just try some different stuff out see what you think. Every now and the I mix my whole board up and rebuild it to where it works best.

Archived