The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Is that a reply to my question? If so, what variation of English is your mother tongue and are there any free translation sites for it?

Possibly excepting the 535Q, the newer crybaby models have a single pole switch instead of true bypass; using single pole switching instead of true bypass adds a load impedance which affects the tone.

is that black and white enough for you?

True bypass just goes through a wire one end to the other, so the dry signal is unchanged when the pedal is off and it goes on to other pedals unchanged down the chain like your overdrive or flanger etc.....im no expert on teh pedulz though, there are other people here who have more pedals than hairs on their head

I was not talking about whether or not it was TB - which is why I hadn't got a clue what you were on about.

I was asking why a passive wah pedal would alter the impedance of the signal and therefore fuck with the FF.

I have about 30 pedals, but more like 30000 hairs on my head.

Well, a short wire would not lose you any signal....whereas a different type (non true bypassing) would cause more resistance or impedance, which wouldn't be desirable if you want all your signal from the pickups to go to the FF

do you have a crybaby and a FF atm?

well, you can buy lots more pedals and lose hair so maybe someday!

I don't think resistance and impedance are the same thing.

I don't have a FF or a crybaby so I can't try it. I've always fancied a FF but it's quite a pricey pedal for what it does.

My hair will remain long and luscious for years to come!

I don't think resistance and impedance are the same thing.

I don't have a FF or a crybaby so I can't try it. I've always fancied a FF but it's quite a pricey pedal for what it does.

My hair will remain long and luscious for years to come!

:p

impedance is an opposition in flow of say electrical current....so say your signal was opposed by the non true bypassing features of some pedals and then into the FF, you wouldn't get the most desirable fuzz factory sounds, it depends on which pedal you use before it, I doubt it would be a dramatic difference but it would be noticeable

Why would a passive wah mess with your impedence? I obviously don't understand this shit.

Wht do you mean by passive?

Most pedals have a different output impedance to your guitar, which generally doesn't matter unless you're dealing with fuzzes... They can often be picky about the impedance they 'see', so you get all sorts of shittiness happening if they aren't first in the chain.

I was not talking about whether or not it was TB - which is why I hadn't got a clue what you were on about.

I was asking why a passive wah pedal would alter the impedance of the signal and therefore fuck with the FF.

I have about 30 pedals, but more like 30000 hairs on my head.

The TB thing matters as in cry babies they use a SPDT bypass switch which effectively means that the circuit remains physically connected to your signal, thus affecting it if not actually effecting it!

Wht do you mean by passive?

Most pedals have a different output impedance to your guitar, which generally doesn't matter unless you're dealing with fuzzes... They can often be picky about the impedance they 'see', so you get all sorts of shittiness happening if they aren't first in the chain.

Yeh, this is what we were talking about in the other thread where a guy was asking about using fuzzes with his active bass - I know what everyone means, I just thought it wouldn't be a problem with a standard wah because......

What I mean by passive is non-powered. I always figured standard guitar wahs would be two sockets a little filter circuit and pot attached to a treadle - no battery. I suppose I am wrong? I don't have one you see. Anyway, in the case that it was non-powered, would the circuit still affect the impedance?

The TB thing matters as in cry babies they use a SPDT bypass switch which effectively means that the circuit remains physically connected to your signal, thus affecting it if not actually effecting it!

I know!

Sorry, I'm obviously not getting my words out right today.

Yeh, this is what we were talking about in the other thread where a guy was asking about using fuzzes with his active bass - I know what everyone means, I just thought it wouldn't be a problem with a standard wah because......

What I mean by passive is non-powered. I always figured standard guitar wahs would be two sockets a little filter circuit and pot attached to a treadle - no battery. I suppose I am wrong? I don't have one you see. Anyway, in the case that it was non-powered, would the circuit still affect the impedance?

As far as I know, most wahs are powered - I'm guessing they use a modified buffer to increase the filter Q... I think when the standard circuit was designed, fx chains weren't an issue. There are a few people who make improved buffers for crybabies/etc but I can't remember if they're for the input or output!

If it was non-powered, I'm not sure - it'd essentially be like the tone control in a guitar (ie low-Q) but bandpass... I can't remember if the tone control messes with ff like the volume does :LOL:

I know!

Sorry, I'm obviously not getting my words out right today.

Ha no worries - I thought you would but it needed clarifying for arguments sake!

As far as I know, most wahs are powered - I'm guessing they use a modified buffer to increase the filter Q... I think when the standard circuit was designed, fx chains weren't an issue. There are a few people who make improved buffers for crybabies/etc but I can't remember if they're for the input or output!

So I was wrong!

If it was non-powered, I'm not sure - it'd essentially be like the tone control in a guitar (ie low-Q) but bandpass... I can't remember if the tone control messes with ff like the volume does :LOL:

Yeh, I figured normal wahs were like a tone pot but bandpass - but obviously passive wahs don't exist so :$

• 4 months later...
yes, i even did a demo of it.

Aight, here is an easy one for you guys. I believe I have these in the right order. I know how to conventionally set up a board, but all this talk of whammy and FFs has confused me a bit. People have said all sorts of different things.

My current order is:

Guitar-->FF (attached to my guitar usually, but always first.)-->Whammy-->Dunlop Cry Baby Wah-->Fender Tuner-->Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer-->Line 6 Crunchtone-->Ernie Ball Volume-->Line 6 DL4-->Fender Blues Deville Reissue-->Marshall Cab (don't ask what kind, I'm not 100% sure. I just know it sounds friggin' sweet!)

I run through a Fender Blues Deville reissue. I'm all-for running anything through an effects loop; however, I'm not sure if my amp has one. The specs on Musician's friend say it does, but I'm not sure where this effects loop is on the amp :/

This is the amp I speak of: http://http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-DeVille-410-Reissue-Guitar-Amp?sku=483719

Any ideas?

P.S. My FF and whammy both work great and "behave" just like they are supposed to, but I am not opposed to making them sound better.

Have you got the digitech whammy wh4? Im presuming you have, so run the tuner from the "dry out" output of the, and from the Wet output on the whammy, go to the TS9. I have a cheapo fender tuner i got with a guitar, and when its on, it causes an annoying constant faint beep and sucks tone horribly. Im not sure if youve got the same tuner, but putting it from the Dry Output would still allow you to tune, and not suck tone.

Nothing wrong where the wah is, but you could experiment with it after the gain stage, as aposed to before it. Some people prefer wah after gain, some people prefer it before, but theres no b33f with putting it in either place.

If your amp does have a FX loop, it should be on either the front plate (near the EQ, gain etc knobs), or on the back of the amp. There should be 2 jacks, one "FX send" and one "FX return".

Nothing wrong where the wah is, but you could experiment with it after the gain stage, as aposed to before it. Some people prefer wah after gain, some people prefer it before, but theres no b33f with putting it in either place.

just to add to this.. wah pre gain tends to be a little subtler in tone, as the filter sweep is compressed a bit by the gain stage, and the opposite for post-gain

Here is the scheme for a wah unit I've just got from an old electronic book I "borrowed" from college. Sorry no scanner but you can tell what things are anyway.

img1116fn2.jpg

img1116fn2.1a1ba493fb.jpg

I'm presuming the 9v powers the op-amp.

take again with close up mode plz. kthx.

2 questions :p

The effects loop on my amp? why does no one use them and what good are they? and what should i put through it.

And where do I put a multiple effects unit, at the end (apart from the tuner) or at the start of a chain?

thanks

Depends on what you use from it, if you use the Distortions, place it at the start, if you use the modulations and time based stuff like delay, place it in the end, if you use both I would still say put it in the end.

If you have other Distortions put them in front of it ( thats imo the best)

Overall i would say put it at the end cuz most of the time effects go like: Overdrive + Distortions > Modulation > Time based (Delay, Reverb)

Depends on what you use from it, if you use the Distortions, place it at the start, if you use the modulations and time based stuff like delay, place it in the end, if you use both I would still say put it in the end.

If you have other Distortions put them in front of it ( thats imo the best)

Overall i would say put it at the end cuz most of the time effects go like: Overdrive + Distortions > Modulation > Time based (Delay, Reverb)

Thanks =D

so it would be

Russian Big Muff > GT-6B > TU-2 (i hate the tuner on the GT-6B it's balls)

Thanks =D

so it would be

Russian Big Muff > GT-6B > TU-2 (i hate the tuner on the GT-6B it's balls)

Most people do use the effects loop on their amps, especially if they have some pedals which sound better in the loop. However, the big muff in the loop might sound strage, i know when i tried my Ehx USA Big muff in the loop of my amp it sounded really weird and flappy

Most people do use the effects loop on their amps, especially if they have some pedals which sound better in the loop. However, the big muff in the loop might sound strage, i know when i tried my Ehx USA Big muff in the loop of my amp it sounded really weird and flappy

Big muff in the loop of a distorted amp sounds huge.

Archived