The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

unfortunately not. If i get this grant thing though, i'll make sure that whatever amp i buy has at least one.

Any ideas as to how i might be able to sort out that hiss? Noise gate? Compressor?

I know there's a right way and a wrong way to use a compressor, but i've only ever used the one on my amp and it sounds great.

it's not uncommon for warnings to be given out for overly large images. It's the first time i've noticed you doing it though tom, so i thought i'd just post up a friendly reminder :). There's also a "Dear Kev" thread. You could ask him for auto-resize type action there.

• 8 months later...

yeah russell said pretty much what i'd go for. you'll probably have to have the zoom after the fuzz. you could try the Phase 90 in front of the fuzz and see if you like how it sounds. i'm pretty sure matt has his infront of his FF in his guitars

In this modern era fashion with sofa has become a common sight.So if you haven't chosen sofa to decorate your house then just go the link given below to satisfy your hunger for furniture.

http://www.moderncollections.com/

Just fuck off will you. Your badly worded spam is driving me mental!!

Fucking bots. I thought we had a mod in here?

so it looks like i'll be getting new gear in the next few weeks, between building and orders being delivered. I've been doing a little rethinking about the layout of my board, trying to figure something out involving boosters and od's.

I could be massively wrong on all this, and i think it'll only really be clear once it's tested.

So consider, for example, a preamp or an od pedal.

Looking at guides on the interweb, they all seem to say that things like boosts, ods, preamps etc etc, should be more or less at the start of your chain, with the exception of EQ, Wah and Pitch Modulation. This got me thinking though, looking at the way actual amps are put together, where you've a preamp into a power amp, what happens if you put your preamp or od right before the amp?

If you have a pedal that is either based on, or essentially is, the preamp section of an amp, would that not be better as the last pedal before a clean amp?

From what i can figure out, that basically gives 2 options/situations.

Where you use the preamp pedal at the start of the effects chain, it's kinda like having all your other effects in the FX loop of your amp. The FX loop is usually between the preamp and poweramp. So you're kinda going Input > preamp > fx loop + fx > (preamp) > poweramp.

Or, buy putting your preamp right before your amp, you're basically having an effects chain into a distorted amp: input > effects > preamp > (preamp) > poweramp

anyone else share some experience/ideas on this?

Interesting. I've often wondered why the hell people buy "pre-amp pedals" to plug into the front of their amp. Either buy an amp you like the pre-amp of, or run your pre-amp into the effects return of your amp.

Putting a pre-amp at the start of your chain, is just like having active pups, or a pre-amp built into the guitar/bass. Putting one at the end of your chain and bypass the amp's pre-amp is just like running into an amp.

You can drive the pre-amp of your amp with pedals, but you could also drive pedals with the pre-amp of your amp.

It's all just different ways of "gain structure" i'm sure there's plenty of science which can explain reasons to do it certain ways, but i've no idea about that. Interesting though

yeah i never thought about it till today. one of the peddles i'm planning on building; de stijl; is effectively a solid state version of the Silvertone 1485 preamp. It could probebly be used as a preamp if you just had a poweramp. I like the way JW has his setup, that he can easily switch between 3 dynamics, just by using the big muff, microamp and the 1485. That's kinda what i'm aiming for.

Part of this was to do with the suggestion a while ago that a compressor might help with the glitchyness of the whammy. So, if i turned the output of the guitar way down, into the compressor and whammy, and then used the microamp to bring the levels back up to where i wanted them.

It'll certainly be something i'll try out, just using the amp, De Stijl, Microamp and Muff. It might even be worth while doing a little demo video on.

Archived