The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Thanks =D

so it would be

Russian Big Muff > GT-6B > TU-2 (i hate the tuner on the GT-6B it's balls)

No, put the tuner first in your chain. You want the clearest signal going into it, which the GT and Big Muff might affect.

Tu-2 > Big Muff > GT-6B

No, put the tuner first in your chain. You want the clearest signal going into it, which the GT and Big Muff might affect.

Tu-2 > Big Muff > GT-6B

oh ohkay =D

lol

oh btw

i want to split my signal between two amps

and i want a splitter which allows me to run both at once

what should i get?

and i don't want the whirlwind one that everyone seems to go on about because a) you have to toggle between amps (theres an A/B button and a BOTH button instead of an A and a B and a BOTH button) and b) it decreases the volume.

thanks again /kit&tab/ ;]

Big muff in the loop of a distorted amp sounds huge.

Only if you have a very good amp, with a good quality loop, I once tryed to do the same with a Blackstar HT-Dual in the loop, on the clean channel, and somehow it sounded more muddy than ever before...

Tu-2 > Big Muff > GT-6B

Quoted for truth

oh ohkay =D

lol

oh btw

i want to split my signal between two amps

and i want a splitter which allows me to run both at once

what should i get?

and i don't want the whirlwind one that everyone seems to go on about because a) you have to toggle between amps (theres an A/B button and a BOTH button instead of an A and a B and a BOTH button) and b) it decreases the volume.

thanks again /kit&tab/ ;]

You want an A/B/Y pedal, they are pretty easy to make if you want to save some cash. There aren't many that give you all the functions on one switch though, it's usually A/B on one switch and Y on another.

You want an A/B/Y pedal, they are pretty easy to make if you want to save some cash. There aren't many that give you all the functions on one switch though, it's usually A/B on one switch and Y on another.

Damn

yeah, I was reading into them last night and apparently if you make your own and don't do loads of grounding and other stuff then it'll suck aload of volume and create hum etcetc.

So umm what would you recommend?

Well they are not that hard to make but if you want one that wont hum or have any volume issues they can be difficult if you have no experience with electronics. Most people seem to recommend one made by Morley, have a look into that one if your not too keen on making one yourself.

Well they are not that hard to make but if you want one that wont hum or have any volume issues they can be difficult if you have no experience with electronics. Most people seem to recommend one made by Morley, have a look into that one if your not too keen on making one yourself.

I had a look at the morley one and half the people said it caused loads of hum and the other half said it was fine :confused:

Does anyone have the Morley one here?

All right kids, help me out here. I need a good order.

I have:

Digitech Whammy (the red one Jack White *peace be upon him* uses.)

Boss Fuzz FZ-1

Visual Sound Route 66 Overdrive/Compression

The Route 66 is an interesting pedal, the overdrive and compression run parallel (is that the term?) to each other, so the signals don't actually mix. You if you turn up the volume on the compression, you can hear the clean, compressed signal over the top of the drive signal. I figured the compression subdued by the drive PLUS the Fuzz FZ-1 would be the easiest way to replicate Bellamy's tone... and it sort of works.

I have:

Boss Fuzz FZ-1

The Route 66 is an interesting pedal, the overdrive and compression run parallel (is that the term?) to each other, so the signals don't actually mix. You if you turn up the volume on the compression, you can hear the clean, compressed signal over the top of the drive signal. I figured the compression subdued by the drive PLUS the Fuzz FZ-1 would be the easiest way to replicate Bellamy's tone... and it sort of works.

Well you've only got 3 pedals.. mess with the order and see what sounds best.

I don't use FX loops. Personal choice, plus blues juniors don't have them, I'm pretty sure Fender amps in general rarely have them also, but am no doubt completely wrong.

My current problem (in regards to distortion pedals rather than the pathetic mess that is my life) is that I have a Satchurator, a DS-2, an American metal, a Big Muff (new EHX), all have different sounds and colour my sound differently. I'm also using an EQ which has a volume boost anyway which I can use as a weakish OD and a compressor which I've been using also as a booster.

What would be the best way of setting it up you think?

Wah/EQ into some splitter to go through each different box (Like it even fucking matters at the moment) or just line 'em all up, it might affect cleans a bit if they're all off. But who cares, clean tones r 4 fags lolololol

I wouldn't use a compressor as a boost. Use it as a compressor, or get a booster!!

I would have all your dirt boxes in a line. Some of them will sound better in different orders. I would generally put them in the order of the amount of gain you're using them for EG:

Guitar > Wah > EQ > Light grit > OD > Fuzz > Amp

That way you have loads of combinations. If you stick them all in seperate loops you'll probably not use the combinations as much, and an OD driving an OD driving a Fuzz is something you shouldn't miss out on!

Obviously not with them all on 10!!

But i've used a jackhammer into a muff before, that was a great sound. On bass (blended) I use EQ overdriving a Zoom multi effects pedal overdriving an ibanez dirt pedal. It sounds great, and it means I have all those options but generally use the Zoom for a big of grit, the EQ to drive it into OD and the Ibanez pedal to fuzz it up. The gain on the ibanez is basically 0 as the input is so hot.

I have:

Boss Fuzz FZ-1

Clean compression + parallel OD is my favourite way to get really heavy tones that still cut :happy:

I wouldn't use a compressor as a boost. Use it as a compressor, or get a booster!!

I would have all your dirt boxes in a line. Some of them will sound better in different orders. I would generally put them in the order of the amount of gain you're using them for EG:

Guitar > Wah > EQ > Light grit > OD > Fuzz > Amp

That way you have loads of combinations. If you stick them all in seperate loops you'll probably not use the combinations as much, and an OD driving an OD driving a Fuzz is something you shouldn't miss out on!

A fuzz driving an OD is better :p

I'd also stick the wah in the middle of the dirt somewhere so you've got the option of filtered distortion or distorted filter...

Clean compression + parallel OD is my favourite way to get really heavy tones that still cut :happy:

And me! That's an interesting pedal.

A fuzz driving an OD is better :p

I'd also stick the wah in the middle of the dirt somewhere so you've got the option of filtered distortion or distorted filter...

The only fuzz into OD combo I tried was my danelectro black paisley (or liquorice or something) into my zooom multi ('cos it has a gate and that pedal is mental) and it wasn't as good as the fuzz on it's own. I guess it depends on the pedals you use.

Good point about the wah, but that's why you need 3 wahs.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone tell me how I should arrange these?

Digitech EX7 (Mainly using the Whammy and occasional flange)

Ibanez WD7 wah

Vox Sathurator

Boss DD6

My guitar's a Fender Strat and I dont really have a 'real' amp, but I plug into a Marshall JCM900 when I'm in the studio rehearsing. My practice amp's a Micro Cube.

Thanks in advance. :)

Ibanez WD7 wah

Vox Sathurator

Boss DD6

My guitar's a Fender Strat and I dont really have a 'real' amp, but I plug into a Marshall JCM900 when I'm in the studio rehearsing. My practice amp's a Micro Cube.

Wah --> Satchurator --> EX7 --> DD6

That's how I would have it. You may prefer to have the Satchurator first though and have the wah come after it.

Ibanez WD7 wah

Vox Sathurator

Boss DD6

Wah --> Satchurator --> EX7 --> DD6

That's how I would have it. You may prefer to have the Satchurator first though and have the wah come after it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Wah >> EX-7 >> Satchurator >> DD6.

EX7's FTFW.

Archived