The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

I am getting a whammy for my birthday, and i need help with effects setup.

When i get it i will have:

Whammy

Crybaby Wah

Electro Harmonix Big Muff

Boss DS-1 Distortion

Boss Chorus (double pedal)

Boss DD-3 Delay

How shall i set these up?

Cheers, (for the gizillionth time!)

Matt

I am getting a whammy for my birthday, and i need help with effects setup.

When i get it i will have:

Whammy

Crybaby Wah

Electro Harmonix Big Muff

Boss DS-1 Distortion

Boss Chorus (double pedal)

Boss DD-3 Delay

How shall i set these up?

Cheers, (for the gizillionth time!)

Matt

I have near enough the same set up :D

I think it's something like:

Guitar > wah . whammy > big muff > BOSS DS-1 > chrous > delay > amp

I think :S

Any kind of gain device like distortion should come first in line I think, then you move on to modulation, like chorus or whammy...then finally you would have any echo devices...like Delay.

Also, try putting the whammy in your FX loop if you have one. :)

no whammy comes first in line because you want the sound to come in to the whammy to be as dry as possible. and put the wah in front of your distortion/fuzz. it will sound better that way.

Tis a good point my friend! :D

I concur.....well other modulation comes after then. :p

well don't be fooled by my signature :p

;)

Actually, now you`ve mentioned your sig....that pic...do you know anything about Matts double cut les paul?

I know he customised it (Duh) but what is that on the body? it always looked like a bit of fretboard to me :confused:

well before he had all his mansons, he used to stuck his effects on his guitar [hence the tape]. so he could run about with his guitar. he hadn't actually custumized it, by putting stuff in his guitar, he just stuck it on the body of the guitar :) his peavey wolffgang also got some tape on the sides

now you mention it.. that piece of "fretboard".. dunno what that is

well before he had all his mansons, he used to stuck his effects on his guitar [hence the tape]. so he could run about with his guitar. he hadn't actually custumized it, by putting stuff in his guitar, he just stuck it on the body of the guitar :) his peavey wolffgang also got some tape on the sides

...He must have been made up to get shot of them when he got his mansons :D ahhhhh

...So you dont know what the fretboard looking bit is? ..if it is an FX wossname?

...He must have been made up to get shot of them when he got his mansons :D ahhhhh

...So you dont know what the fretboard looking bit is? ..if it is an FX wossname?

No i don't know. i never saw him play with it either on live shows [e.i. fiddling with it live], so i don't know.

No i don't know. i never saw him play with it either on live shows [e.i. fiddling with it live], so i don't know.

I just watched an old video of PIB and the tape is there...but no whatever it was..just bare body...I just Matt just likes taping fretboard to his guitar :p

back to the question at hand, i'd do it this way:

whammy -> wah -> ds1 -> muff -> chorus -> delay

if your amp has an effectsloop put the chorus and delay in there

i think driving the muff with the ds1 would sound cool, otherwise just switch them around or if you're never going to have both of them running at the same time it doesn't matter

well at that stage on the picture (showbiz) he didnt have built in effects like the roland pickup preamp thingy, i think that is it

hypermuse

you use small cables called patch cables about 6 inches long each

yeah, i use Cordial cables (30 cm, so that's about the same length i think)... they're 15 euro a piece, but really good so well worth the cash IMO... there are much cheaper cables as well, so it's all up to what kind of quality your looking for

but the important thing to know is: about 75% of the price of a cable are the plugs/connectors... so don't expect the price of a 6 inch cable to be 5% of that of a 20 ft one

yeah, i use Cordial cables (30 cm, so that's about the same length i think)... they're 15 euro a piece, but really good so well worth the cash IMO... there are much cheaper cables as well, so it's all up to what kind of quality your looking for

but the important thing to know is: about 75% of the price of a cable are the plugs/connectors... so don't expect the price of a 6 inch cable to be 5% of that of a 20 ft one

you can get 6 really crappy ones for £6 or 2 for £12 from planet waves, if the PW ones break they instantly replace them.

please may you knowledgable guitar boffins gimmie a hand with what order to put me pedals in...and i need to know what wires etc to buy

i have:

guitar

big muff

fender tuner

digitech multi-fx

boss phaser

dan electro 7 band eq

flextone 2 (with effects loop)

i am currently:

guitar --->big muff---> multi fx--->phaser--->amp

but a) i want to include the tuner (for obvious reasons) b) i want to include the eq as a volume booster/tone shaper and was told that to do so it needs to be in the effects loop of the amp, so i wondered what else should go in the effects loop.

cheers in advance...and it would be nice to know by 5ish today as i have band practice 2night so would need to get the leads for effects loop etc

thanks

leo

please may you knowledgable guitar boffins gimmie a hand with what order to put me pedals in...and i need to know what wires etc to buy

i have:

guitar

big muff

fender tuner

digitech multi-fx

boss phaser

dan electro 7 band eq

flextone 2 (with effects loop)

i am currently:

guitar --->big muff---> multi fx--->phaser--->amp

but a) i want to include the tuner (for obvious reasons) b) i want to include the eq as a volume booster/tone shaper and was told that to do so it needs to be in the effects loop of the amp, so i wondered what else should go in the effects loop.

cheers in advance...and it would be nice to know by 5ish today as i have band practice 2night so would need to get the leads for effects loop etc

thanks

leo

guitar-bigmuff-tuner-multieffects-Amp

phaser-EQ-effects loop

get some planetwaves wires for it all

i'd go: multi-fx >> muff >> amp and the loop like biblical said

if the multi-fx has a dry out or something throw the tuner on that, if not put it in first

it's all a matter of personal preference

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about investing in some new effects, namely a phaser, wah and some sort of delay in addition to the Big Muff and Whammy i already have, but i dont have an effects loop in my amp (im playing through a Marshall MG30DFX at the moment). Is there an order these effects should be placed in that would minimize any loss of tone and maximise their effect?i remember seeing a topic about this ages ago but twas vapourised long ago it seems!

Archived