The definitive "What order should my FX pedals be placed in?" thread

zeuzman

Bah that's why I don't use compression anymore :p Although having said that I'm about to probably get a cheap Alesis 3630.

the 3630 is a great compressor for the price... of course it beats the CS3 into the floor because for a start it has proper controls (hah) but also sounds okay. that and its a dual channel compressor and supports sidechaining.

Needz0r Helpz0r

Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion(set for distortion)

Boss BD-2 blues overdrive

Boss TU-2 Tunerr

Boss PW-10 Wah

Boss DD-3 delay

Digitech Whammy reissue

USA Big Muff

Alesis 3630 compressor

I r own quite teh collection now :D Suggestions for order plz?

Needz0r Helpz0r

Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion(set for distortion)

Boss BD-2 blues overdrive

Boss TU-2 Tunerr

Boss PW-10 Wah

Boss DD-3 delay

Digitech Whammy reissue

USA Big Muff

Alesis 3630 compressor

I r own quite teh collection now :D Suggestions for order plz?

I would go:

Tuner > Compressor > Whammy > Blues OD > OD/Dist > Big Muff > Wah > Delay

Guest bshuker

Tuner > Wah > Whammy > Compressor > Blues OD > OD/Dist > Big Muff > Delay

I think this is a bit of an improvement. Delay in the fx loop aswell if possible.

• 2 months later...

Why is it that people thnk compressors should go first? Pedals respond to your playing dynamics - by compressing them you reduce the amount that the pedals will be effected. Dynamic filters and Overdrives in particular - put your compressor after!

Why is it that people thnk compressors should go first? Pedals respond to your playing dynamics - by compressing them you reduce the amount that the pedals will be effected. Dynamic filters and Overdrives in particular - put your compressor after!

and then if you put the compressor after, youll have a more consistent level. depends what you're after i guess... e.g. if you want to have a more consistent level before or after pedalz

and then if you put the compressor after, youll have a more consistent level. depends what you're after i guess... e.g. if you want to have a more consistent level before or after pedalz

Yeh, obviously, but I can't ever imagine a situation where you would want a more consistent level before pedals that respond to dynamic changes. I suppose i'm being close-minded.

a common use of compression by guitarists is to boost distortion pedals or channels on amps. which has resulting in everyone going along with the comp goes first thing.

personally wouldn't use compressors with guitar unless it's post everything when recording

Guest bshuker

Well you get a similar effect whether it is pre or post gain so it's up to you really. If you have it pre-gain you can use it as like your guitar's volume control and clean up the sound if you wish, or if you've got it post-distortion (or in the effects loop pre-delay) you can use it more as a master volume (depending on the type of effects loop you have it may not work (parallel loops where you can't have 100% wet specifically)).

It's more or less easiest just to put it towards the start of the chain.

Well you get a similar effect whether it is pre or post gain so it's up to you really. If you have it pre-gain you can use it as like your guitar's volume control and clean up the sound if you wish, or if you've got it post-distortion (or in the effects loop pre-delay) you can use it more as a master volume (depending on the type of effects loop you have it may not work (parallel loops where you can't have 100% wet specifically)).

It's more or less easiest just to put it towards the start of the chain.

If you want your swells to swell the gain in a dirt pedal of some sort, put the pedal before that.

If you don't want variation in your dirt, but want swells, put the volume pedal after.

thank you both of you :)

not necessarily a question about the order of effects, however...

I've heard some people put their wah pedals in their effects loops - how much of a sound difference is there vs. putting it in front?

don't have a working wah pedal at the moment, so i can't try.

for example, tom morello - not sure what order his effects are in, but i know his wah is in his JCM 800s loop. i know it sounds different (microphone fiend intro is a good example) from regular wah sounds, but...

i've also realized tim wheeler (of ash) actually has that f**k load of effects BEFORE the wah pedal, and everything is in the effects loop of his triple rectifier (including the wah)

i don't understand how that doesn't sound absolutely awful...actually has a really cutting sound.

basically, should i bother setting my rack up so i have everything in the loop? it's just going to have a few effects really..some modulation, compression, delay, etc. nothing much.

Archived