I don't understand why they play so many riffs/jams (borrowed from other bands for the most part) instead of playing their OWN songs. It's really frustrating.

As I said last night, considering the price of the tickets, when they play 15 songs you're basically paying 4-5$ for each song... That makes me sad.

What's been this foolishness of dropping Map lately? Sadly, New Born is probably packing its belongings and and will be on the way out after this tour being an old song and all... But Map?

I don't really mind though... since New Born really lost most of its energy...

Also after this tour, New Born will most probably go into the "rare" bin along with Bliss and CE. Then some fans will probably go "Play New Born" like "Play CE" now.

My friends saw him at Glasto a couple of year ago: he played for 2 hours and he pointed at a few banners in the crowd with song request throughout the gig and just started playing the songs that were written on those banners.

didnt muse do this in SA 2008?

You have to wonder why Muse even bothered coming back to the US this autumn. Obviously it's good that people have been able to see them, but playing 15-16 song setlists consistently just suggests they're not really interested at the moment.

$$$ and 'conquering America' of course. The towers were expensive and they have to get the most use out of them before they are retired.

I agree they are over-scheduling and the length of the tour approaches the ridiculous. Their SoCal + NorCal schedule was quite intense and insane, with NorCal apparently feeling the brunt of the burnout.

Maybe Matt's voice is going *gasp* and needs to be preserved with less and easier songs (and filled with more riffs).

Maybe the guys have back and knee and work-related problems and knackered but the show has to go on since they were booked back to back.

If they book less shows then there will be a different kind of complaints. I bet they are jaded to complaints from the bloody messageboard long ago!

Muse is in the middle of a stretch of 6 gigs in 8 days. Ridiculous. I'm sure they have good intentions but whoever does their scheduling needs a reality check. It's no surprise they've progressively lost steam over the course of the tour. But as long as they're drawing huge crowds and their shows are getting rave reviews, they really don't have any incentive to change things up. Unless they get bored, or out of the kindness of their hearts perhaps.

Muse is in the middle of a stretch of 6 gigs in 8 days. Ridiculous. I'm sure they have good intentions but whoever does their scheduling needs a reality check. It's no surprise they've progressively lost steam over the course of the tour. But as long as they're drawing huge crowds and their shows are getting rave reviews, they really don't have any incentive to change things up. Unless they get bored, or out of the kindness of their hearts perhaps.

Yeah, that 9-day break after the gig on the 12th will be much needed for 'em.

This is an absolute joke, to me.

I paid $65 for GA tickets to Oklahoma City. I paid $40 for the epic Lights in the Sky NIN show where they played 31 songs. I'm paying more for half that and an inferior light show. Muse *used* to put on a better show than NIN, they're far from that now, because Muse is too busy jamming shit like Guiding Light down my throat live.

Muse's energy and performance is unbeatable--no doubt. But seriously, 15 songs? I could give two shits about the towers or the general setlist, it's not bad at all. But 15 songs? Doesn't Matt have *any* clue that a good majority of the Muse fans HATE Guiding Light? You've really just dropped Unnatural Selection, the last remaining "rock" from TR? Seriously, call your goddamn show a Lady Gaga concert and go with it. Not to mention New Born? Why not ignore OoS altogether.

And you British have no clue--you just got a tour with CE, Bliss, B+H, and Unintended as rotation. We've gotten a tour pretty much with no Origin, singles from Abso, singles from BHaR, and the shittiest songs on TR. It's a goddamn joke that New Born, one of your most famous songs, is about to become a rarity. What the hell? You'll never gain a large fanbase in America Muse until you stop giving your diehards the fucking middle finger. We're as good as your British fanbase, for the love of God. Radiohead's figured that out, why can't you? Muse'll end up like Blur in America, always on the brink, but never big enough. Oh well.

If you don't agree, take off the goddamn rose-colored glasses you KoolAid drinker and see that Muse is getting lazy, stagnant, and caught up in their title as "Best Live Act in the World". Someone in the media needs to pan the shit out of Muse so Matt will wake up.

I'm going to be fucking LIVID if I get 15 songs after driving 3 hours to see them and play $65 dollars for tickets.

And you British have no clue--you just got a tour with CE, Bliss, B+H, and Unintended as rotation. We've gotten a tour pretty much with no Origin, singles from Abso, singles from BHaR, and the shittiest songs on TR. It's a goddamn joke that New Born, one of your most famous songs, is about to become a rarity. What the hell? You'll never gain a large fanbase in America Muse until you stop giving your diehards the fucking middle finger. We're as good as your British fanbase, for the love of God. Radiohead's figured that out, why can't you? Muse'll end up like Blur in America, always on the brink, but never big enough. Oh well.

As much as I agree with most of your rant, you don't get big by pleasing your diehard fans. $65 is $65 whether it comes from you or someone fresh off the Twilight train, unfortunately.

As much as I agree with most of your rant, you don't get big by pleasing your diehard fans. $65 is $65 whether it comes from you or someone fresh off the Twilight train, unfortunately.

You don't get big that way, but you stay big that way.

The key is finding a way to reel in the new people without alienating too many of the old people, because at the end of the day, a lot of the new faces are just lookieloos and fad chasers who aren't in it for the long haul. Soon enough, their interest is going to fade and when hat happens, if you've ticked off most of the old timers in your pursuit of the new people, you're going to find yourself alone ;)

EDIT: That's why the setlist length and choices matter - one old song, one rarity, one bone thrown to the "old school" types would go a long way to making a difference. I have no problem with them playing singles, or with them always including things like SMBH and Starlight or even Feeling Good, but it just needs a little bit more.

They're two-thirds along the way to balance - they've got the singles "everyone" knows and the showcase of new album songs. But they're consistently leaving out that last third unless it's a second night (LA) or a random gig where the mood hits them (Edmonton).

EDIT 2: And, what makes it even more frustrating is that it's not even a case where they're playing so many things that there's no room for the random old album song or rarity... they've currently got 3 empty slots on the setlist!

:LOL: I really should complete my thoughts before submitting the post ;)

I'm beginning to wonder if the label really does control what they play, and how often. :erm:

That would really explain why we don't see earlier material and why the gigs as of late have been more Warner heavy.

I just saw an ad in Rolling Stone for Muse, and they showed just their last three albums with the title: "Do you have them all?" Um...last I heard, Muse had more than just three albums! :LOL:

Lol yeah, I dig that. I don't think it'd take much effort for muse to please their older fan base while also staying the course to mainstream stardom in the US. But I also feel that for every diehard fan that decides to quit supporting the band, there will be just as many continuing to buy their albums, attend their shows, etc. How long they can ride this gravy train, I don't know.

At least you guys get to see Muse :erm:

although if this disturbing trend continues, i won't see them at all :LOL:

By the time they get around to playing Florida they're going to play WAHTOOO and when it ends and the curtains drop the band won't be there, the lights will come up and the show will be over :chuckle:

You don't get big that way, but you stay big that way.

The key is finding a way to reel in the new people without alienating too many of the old people, because at the end of the day, a lot of the new faces are just lookieloos and fad chasers who aren't in it for the long haul. Soon enough, their interest is going to fade and when hat happens, if you've ticked off most of the old timers in your pursuit of the new people, you're going to find yourself alone ;)

EDIT: That's why the setlist length and choices matter - one old song, one rarity, one bone thrown to the "old school" types would go a long way to making a difference. I have no problem with them playing singles, or with them always including things like SMBH and Starlight or even Feeling Good, but it just needs a little bit more.

They're two-thirds along the way to balance - they've got the singles "everyone" knows and the showcase of new album songs. But they're consistently leaving out that last third unless it's a second night (LA) or a random gig where the mood hits them (Edmonton).

EDIT 2: And, what makes it even more frustrating is that it's not even a case where they're playing so many things that there's no room for the random old album song or rarity... they've currently got 3 empty slots on the setlist!

:LOL: I really should complete my thoughts before submitting the post ;)

^THIS x 3... :D

I'm beginning to wonder if the label really does control what they play, and how often. :erm:

That would really explain why we don't see earlier material and why the gigs as of late have been more Warner heavy.

I just saw an ad in Rolling Stone for Muse, and they showed just their last three albums with the title: "Do you have them all?" Um...last I heard, Muse had more than just three albums! :LOL:

If that were the case then why did Europe get longer and better setlists?

This is an absolute joke, to me.

I paid $65 for GA tickets to Oklahoma City. I paid $40 for the epic Lights in the Sky NIN show where they played 31 songs. I'm paying more for half that and an inferior light show. Muse *used* to put on a better show than NIN, they're far from that now, because Muse is too busy jamming shit like Guiding Light down my throat live.

Muse's energy and performance is unbeatable--no doubt. But seriously, 15 songs? I could give two shits about the towers or the general setlist, it's not bad at all. But 15 songs? Doesn't Matt have *any* clue that a good majority of the Muse fans HATE Guiding Light? You've really just dropped Unnatural Selection, the last remaining "rock" from TR? Seriously, call your goddamn show a Lady Gaga concert and go with it. Not to mention New Born? Why not ignore OoS altogether.

If you don't agree, take off the goddamn rose-colored glasses you KoolAid drinker and see that Muse is getting lazy, stagnant, and caught up in their title as "Best Live Act in the World". Someone in the media needs to pan the shit out of Muse so Matt will wake up.

I'm going to be fucking LIVID if I get 15 songs after driving 3 hours to see them and play $65 dollars for tickets.

I hated Guiding Light at first, its only got better with age though, both on record and definitely live. I think to casuals/alot of America, its goes down a treat.

And this is just your arena tour. Europe got 0 surprises on this until MK came about an then nothing until the closing night randomly got a good set. Youve gotten RBS, Bliss and the best versions of Take A Bow Ive seen. thats more than our arenas got straight away. I agree 15 songs is insulting but dont say we are spoilt. If they filled stadiums over there, you'd be getting what we got.

Agree with the rest.

Lol yeah, I dig that. I don't think it'd take much effort for muse to please their older fan base while also staying the course to mainstream stardom in the US. But I also feel that for every diehard fan that decides to quit supporting the band, there will be just as many continuing to buy their albums, attend their shows, etc. How long they can ride this gravy train, I don't know.

There will be plenty continuing to support them--but not for long. They're "cool" and "hip" in America. That doesn't last, the mainstream American public is a very fickle base. You have to be prevalent for years for respect here, and one-off hit singles like TiRO, Starlight, and Uprising isn't going to do that. You continue to be prevalent and be respected musically by critics and fans alike, that'll gain you support. Not the way Muse is going about it. They've been growing because they've been commercially and critically successful, but now they're spitting in their diehards, who've been fans for years. This is a disgrace to us.

And by you British I mean, you can go to a Muse show and still be relatively satisfied. You are usually guaranteed to get at least one of CE, Bliss, B+H, MK, Map, New Born, or Unintended. We haven't gotten anything at a few shows. We're getting a *MAJOR* short end of the stick, and the shaft. Muse literally thinks we are all a bunch of Twilight-loving nutjobs. They think they can maintain this major burst of popularity where they are a household name like they are now by rehashing shitty pop songs like NSC, but it doesn't work. Muse's recent popularity won't last unless they continue to keep their live reputation in tact, which 15 song sets won't do, and do better than TR.

Look at The Smashing Pumpkins. THAT'S what happens when you spit in the face of your diehards. They turn around and spit in your face, and you end up as a no-name band.

I'm on the edge, and tired of getting the middle finger. Sorry that I'm not British. :| You people get all the best music.

And this is just your arena tour. Europe got 0 surprises on this until MK came about an then nothing until the closing night randomly got a good set. \.

Cave? They even played it semi-regularly, far more so than any other 'rarity' at an arena tour

Cave? They even played it semi-regularly, far more so than any other 'rarity' at an arena tour
until that turin gig it was Cave and Unintended. The North American shows have had more surprises but also worse setlists in general so I guess it evens out.

it seems to me that every euro show on the arena tour except the festivals got something pretty special... lets look at it shall we

Bern - 21 songs, "unintended" and "I Belong To You"

Milan - 21 songs, cover of "back in black" and "unintended"

Nijmegen - 20 songs, "bliss", "citizen erased",

Helsinki - 17 songs - "bliss"

manchester - 21 songs - "butterflies & hurricanes", "citizen erased",

so we all know what happened at wembley, and most of the festivals got copy cutter setlists like we are at headlining shows in the usa, but every headlining show got something pretty special and 20+ songs

Archived