Piano on Exogenesis

DocOle

i also imagine they havent played it live because they havent figuered out how to go straight from that complex piano piece then back piano. A shame really because they said Part3 was easy to play but they didnt they could play part3 without playing part2 aswell.

i also imagine they havent played it live because they havent figuered out how to go straight from that complex piano piece then back piano. A shame really because they said Part3 was easy to play but they didnt they could play part3 without playing part2 aswell.

I'm still not ruling out an orchestra at wembley, although, if wembley did get an orchestra, where would it go? I'm not going but my friend is. He'd be very happy if exo was playrd full. Just take off unintended and add 2 more songs. No problem!

Cant wait to see Doris crash on the 11th! Sexy plane here i come!

Guest jessychickin
I believe it's also the obstacle that Matt wants to avoid playing live for fear of a mistake.

:yesey: Yup, he said that in an interview, its floating around youtube somewhere..

Even if he did make a mistake it would be phenominal live :)

i call bull on matt saying he doesn't want to make a mistake on the intro of Exo 2...I'm probably not even half the piano player Matt is and I can play the intro without making a mistake.. and he wrote the damn thing.

give me a break matthew.

i call bull on matt saying he doesn't want to make a mistake on the intro of Exo 2...I'm probably not even half the piano player Matt is and I can play the intro without making a mistake.. and he wrote the damn thing.

give me a break matthew.

At full speed, double octaves on both hands with the correct chromatic scale?

That's not easy stuff. Generally you're expected to have played fairly diligently for 6-10 years before you can do it.

That's not easy stuff. Generally you're expected to have played fairly diligently for 6-10 years before you can do it.

I found the double octaves part to be pretty easy. It's the part right after that and before the singing part that kills me every time... :erm: And I have small hands.

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I found the double octaves part to be pretty easy. It's the part right after that and before the singing part that kills me every time... :erm: And I have small hands.

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

The double octaves is "easy" but at the same time it is very easy to make mistake at speed.

The bit after that though where he plays this mixture of arpeggios and octaves... yeah, when you include the LH bits that can be a little tough. Just takes practice, I guess.

:happy: its so stunning :)

Indeed, I love it! I love this video. :happy:

Maybe they would consider doing just the piano at a more intimate gig, if they have another one. Hopefully. They did say they were considering performing all three parts with an orchestra at Glastonbury and had practice sessions. It's got to happen one day, surely!

Though I do totally understand the apprehension. Maybe if everyone in the audience promises on entry to block their ears and whistle to themselves if Matt makes a mistake, while he gets back on course! :chuckle: Or he could always have a sledge hammer under the piano and undertake a bit of instrument destruction to cover the awkward moment. :LOL:

He used to do mindblowing crap like Butterflies, Space Dementia, Sunburn, etc. - there's no way Exo is outside of the realm of live performance...

Well I'm not a pianist so can't compare the difficulty of the various pieces, but I suspect Matt may have lost his confidence a bit since he forgot Collateral Damage at Teignmouth. Matt has said himself, words to the effect that, it gets a bit heavy out there.

Saying that I'm sure he's perfectly capable.

Nope, he forgot it. There's a vid somewhere on Youtube where he just suddenly stops playing and says "can't remember how it goes". poor chap:happy:.

As someone who also plays the piano and composes music, I can say that it makes a huge difference whether you play your own pieces or someone else's, not least in terms of memorizing the music (in this case Chopins). You will always write your own pieces to suit your technique; e. g. Matt has always been great at playing double octaves (he used to play around with them live for years), so he shouldn't have a big problem with the intro to part II. Chopin is a different story altogether...

Still, Cross-pollination is definitely more difficult to play than the piano solo on B&H. The arpeggios in B&H are technically quite generic and repetitive, whereas you have to employ several techniques to play Cross-pollination.

EDIT: L., beat me to it!:happy:

Still, Cross-pollination is definitely more difficult to play than the piano solo on B&H. The arpeggios in B&H are technically quite generic and repetitive, whereas you have to employ several techniques to play Cross-pollination.

It's obviously not beyond him though, as he plays it on the video, so it appears to be just a confidence issue that prevents him from doing it live, something I totally understand, but hopefully he will be able to conquer that apprehension at some point.

It's obviously not beyond him though, as he plays it on the video, so it appears to be just a confidence issue that prevents him from doing it live, something I totally understand, but hopefully he will be able to conquer that apprehension at some point.

I think it highlights how "un"-live Muse have become. Playing live is all about making mistakes and how you deal with them.

Yes at full speed, yes double octaves on both hands and yes in the correct chromatic scale.. it's not as hard as you think... then again I've been playing piano on and off for 10 years. Any fool with decent reach can do it with enough practice, you're not expected to have played anything before you can play the intro to Exo 2.

He used to do mindblowing crap like Butterflies, Space Dementia, Sunburn, etc. - there's no way Exo is outside of the realm of live performance...

Butterflies Solo is relatively easy. It's just octaves and arpeggios like most of his stuff. Space Dementia is a little bit trickier and Sunburn is not difficult at all. All of Muse piano songs are moderate at best.. except maybe Apocalypse Please, that is one tricky mofo for me.

Butterflies Solo is relatively easy. It's just octaves and arpeggios like most of his stuff. Space Dementia is a little bit trickier and Sunburn is not difficult at all. All of Muse piano songs are moderate at best.. except maybe Apocalypse Please, that is one tricky mofo for me.

Archived