• Resistance
    • Undisclosed Desires
    • Guiding Light
    • Exogenesis
    • Uprising
    • Who knows who
    • Neutron Star Collision
    • Helsinki Jam

I'll say NSC is shit, but Exogenisis is great.

Did ANYONE else think Butterflies and Hurricanes is kinda sucky?

Exogenesis is just pure kitsch. It also has no structure of a symphony whatsoever. Its just three songs that somehow thematically tie together and have and orchestral background. To be honest the boys didn't really think this through. Sure, the strings arrangement is a great achievement for Matt, but musically it's quite sucky. Plus there are a lot of stolen pieces in it. For example Liebestraume by Franz Lizst can be heard clearly in part 3. Plus the lyrics..really bad.

I think it could have been a good piece if they released it seperately and put more thought into it. The fact, thats it is on a rock album just ruined the whole point of it and forced them to make it sound more kitsch. It was just a bad decision to put it on TR. They (Matt especially) should have waited a while and make a proper symphony piece out of it.

And I also thought Butterflies and Hurricanes are a bit of an overrated song. Plus the solo is by Rachmaninov and Matt doesn't cite him anywhere which kind of pisses me off, because he never does that when he steals pieces from great composers like him or Chopin and Lizst.

:eek: I don't understand how people can not understand the beauty of Exogenesis :eek:

I had to vote Time Is Running Out, it's a good song and it works well to get the crowd going live, but i dont feel it has much 'substance' about it. The best thing about it is Matt managed to fit the word asphyxiated in :p

Archived