Billboard : Nikki & Rich Put Soul Into Muse's "Uprising"

chudenk

In this week's Mashup Monday, up-and-coming pop-soul duo Nikki & Rich tackle Muse's "Uprising," bending the British band's angular prog-rocky rage against the machine into a more intimate sounding hurt something like heartbreak.

"We just thought it was something so different from us," says Rich Velonskis of their take on the Muse song, which hit No. 1 on the Alternative Songs chart in 2009. "We were fans of that song specifically, so we just wanted to take a chance with it and try it.... I wanted to break it down more acoustically [than Muse's version]. I wanted to have a little bit more of a hip hop feel to it in the background."

"I was excited to take it on," says Nikki Leonti, whose "big" soulful vocals mark the biggest departure from the original.

One thing Nikki & Rich certainly hope to have in common with Muse, however, is chart success. And if the early buzz on their upcoming debut album "Everything," which we predicted will be one of the summer's must-hear sets, is any indication, they have a great shot.

Source

Hmm, rather shouty in parts. I think I can see what they were trying to do, but kind of odd to try and make Uprising sound like a break-up song. I have no idea who these performers are btw. Made me enjoy Matt singing it even more in the clip at the end, his voice is far superior imo, but not terrible, just a bit pointless, but at least they love the song whoever they are.

Quite a generic cover that wouldn't be out of place in the top 40 of the UK charts at the minute. All they need is some one like Jay-Z cutting in to talk over the top of it, telling the listener how great he is and how he formed some kind of musical uprising during his career.

I actually had high hopes for this. It sounds good in theory. But then I listened to it and realized how wrong I was. It picked up a little for me on the chorus...but just a little.

Pretty bad as far as Muse covers go. I actually like quite a few of them too.

Quite a generic cover that wouldn't be out of place in the top 40 of the UK charts at the minute. All they need is some one like Jay-Z cutting in to talk over the top of it, telling the listener how great he is and how he formed some kind of musical uprising during his career.

Did you just diss Jay-Z

I thought it was going to be worst..:$

I guess it would have made more sense to make that kind of arrangement to another type of song like let me think... NSC :LOL:

I'm sorry for them, because I already forgot who they are :LOL::LOL:

Well, that was weird. I think the singer has a lot of talent (and suspect she wants to be the next Tina Turner), but even Ms. Turner didn't overshadow her rhythm section as Nikki did in this song. It's jarring to hear that big, throaty soul voice paired with acoustic guitar (as lovely as that was), just as it is to hear a soulful treatment of a paranoid political screed.

They've got real talent, but it was an ill-advised choice of song and stylistic choices, IMO.

Archived