• Showbiz
    • OoS
    • Absolution
    • BHaR
    • The Resistance
    • The 2nd Law
    • Drones

4.Black Holes and Revelations

-Muse's latest album, BH&R is deffinatly a "Supermassive Album". There are many great songs, including my favorite, Map of the Problematique, that leave you wanting to come back for more. Im not quite sure what it is about this album, but theres something lacking and it just seems way less prepared than the other albums were. Assassin seemed very rusehd and like a last min song or something. Some songs on the album just didnt click with me very well and the lack of piano was a huge dissapointment.

I completley agree with evey point you made. It's not that i really dislike any of the songs it's just that the album doesn't have that wow factor of the other albums.

1 - Absolution

2 - Origin of Symmetry

3 - Showbiz

4 - BH&R's

5 - Hullabaloo

1. Origin of Symmetry because it has: New Born, Bliss, Space Dementia, Hyper Music, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased and Micro Cuts on it! Plus Screenager, Dark Shines and Feeling Good are quite decent too. It is the best, its bassline driven with some riffs scattered around.

2.Black Holes and Revelations, a bit hit and miss but the last 3 songs are immense, as is Take A Bow and Map of

3.Showbiz - A bit rough round the edges but Showbiz and Sunburn are still 2 of my favourite Muse songs. Muscle Museum and Uno are also very good. Hate This and I'll Love You is beautiful. Stuff like Fillip and Escape show potential but are a bit weak.

4.Absolution - Its basically just Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome with some other nice tracks but a bit disappointing.

Awarded full marks

It's hard because I think they're all very good in their own way. But....

1. Absolution: a "pwoper" emotional rollercoaster which never really stops. It has no really weak songs, other than FAWY/Endlessly/Blackout/Ruled by secrecy, and that's only because they're slow.

=2. Origin of Symmetry: beaten to the top spot because it doesn't end well. After Micro cuts it all goes a bit too random. If it had a better finish it could be awesome, and it does have 2 or 3 of their best songs in (New Born, Bliss, Citizen Erased), it's just not good enough.

=2. Showbiz: Strong all the way through, but I particularly love the last 5 songs. It's very angsty and very raw, and I prefer them that way. This is why it's tied with OoS: I can't really choose between them.

4. BH&R: It was my first taste of muse, and I originally thought WOW because of 5 main songs: TaB, MotP, Invincible, CoD, KoC. While KoC and TaB are arguably their greatest songs, apart from MotP,CoD, SMBH and Assassin it's not really all that great.

Origin of Symmetry. For me, this was the album that restored my faith in Muse. I don't think anything by Muse was played much in Australia until TIRO, which is the song that hooked me. T

hen came Hysteria and I loved it too. I immediately bought the album and initially loved it but grew sick of it very quickly. After a few months I listened to it again and wondered if their earlier albums would have been any better. I bought Showbiz and OoS and listened to them both.

At first I flicked through the songs on Showbiz, not really paying too much attention and not particularly too impressed by it - then I did the same with OoS and was more impressed.

The more I listened to it, the more I loved it and to this day, it is my favourite album by Muse, ranked ahead of Showbiz, Hullabaloo and Absolution while Black Holes and Revelations is last (yet still very good)

How opinions change...

Currently, the order goes OOS (forever the number one spot, never to be displaced......probably) Absolution, Black Holes, Showbiz, Hullaballoo - to be fair, I only listened to hullabaloo for the first time in the middle of this year so it was relatively new to me when I posted - but HCM, Recess and Shrinking Universe kick arse!

Tomorrow, I'll do my album reviews and proper ranking but now I need sleep as I'm very tired.

I didn't know where to put this, but I thought you guys might wanna see this. It's one hell of a review for OoS I found by accident.

http://www.cluas.com/music/albums/muse.htm

What makes it so darn funny is that he uses such lame arguements (if any) only those twelve year olds he mentions would be proud of. :LOL: Well, now you know that people who actually hate OoS do exist.

I didn't know where to put this, but I thought you guys might wanna see this. It's one hell of a review for OoS I found by accident.

http://www.cluas.com/music/albums/muse.htm

What makes it so darn funny is that he uses such lame arguements (if any) only those twelve year olds he mentions would be proud of. :LOL: Well, now you know that people who actually hate OoS do exist.

That guy deserves to be hung or burned on a stake alive. How he described New Born and Bliss were too much to bear! Especially Bliss! "Horrible synthesisers...horrible lyrics".:'(

I know this is quite redundant but just to prove to myself that opinions can always change....

ApocalypsePleasure's Showbiz rating:

Sunburn : 9/10

Muscle Museum : 8.5/10

Filip : 6.5/10

Falling Down : 4/10

Cave : 8/10

Showbiz : 8/10

Unintended : 7.5/10

Uno : 7.5/10

Sober : 5/10

Escape : 7/10

Overdue : 5/10

HT&ILY : 8.5/10

ApocalypsePleasure's Origin of Symmetry rating:

New Born : 9.5/10

Bliss : 10/10

Space Dementia : 8/10

Hyper Music : 8/10

Plug in Baby : 8/10

Citizen Erased : 10/10

Micro Cuts : 10/10

Screenager : 8/10

Darkshines : 8/10

Feeling Good : 8/10

Megalomania : 8.5/10

ApocalypsePleasure's Absolution rating:

Intro : 8/10

Apocalypse Please : 10/10

Time is Running Out : 7.5/10

Sing for Absolution : 9.5/10

Stockholm Syndrome : 9.5/10

FAWY : 6/10

Interlude : 5/10

Hysteria : 9.5/10

Blackout : 8/10

Butterflies and Hurricanes : 9/10

The Small Print : 8.5/10

Endlessly : 8.5/10

TOADA : 4/10

Ruled by Secrecy : 9/10

ApocalypsePleasure's Black Holes & Revelations rating:

Take a Bow : 9.5/10

Starlight : 6.5/10

Supermassive Black Hole : 9/10

Map of the Problematique : 9/10

Soldier's Poem : 7/10

Invincible : 8.5/10

Assassin : 6/10 [Assassin (GOB edit) : 9/10]

Exo-Politics : 7/10

City of Delusion : 9.5/10

HooDoo : 9.5/10

Knights of Cydonia : 9/10

This shows that Abso/OOS/BH&R are equally good. Showbiz suffers, because it's their first album. I'll still say my favourite album is BH&R because it carries most of my favourite songs. Having said that, my top 2 favs come from OOS and Abso respectively.

Origin of Symmetry- I really love every song and probably listen to it the most. Plus it was the album that got me into Muse in the first place.

Black Holes- BH&R is slightly underrated by Muse fans, imo. The best ones on there are up with the highest quality OoS songs. Most of the weaker songs are still brilliant live, and I guess when you're trying out different ideas, it's natural it would be hit and miss.

Absolution- I love Absolution as an album, but I can't listen to half of it. Just because the second half of the album sounds much better live. It also feels a bit too cold for my liking sometimes. As a whole though it works.

Hullabaloo- Hullabaloo's great! It's so Musey and has a couple of my favourites.

Showbiz- Probably their weakest, but for some reason I've always loved the Showbiz era so it's got a special place in my heart. :)

All of them have their charm. :happy:

Archived