1. 1. Best Album

• Showbiz
    • OoS
    • Absolution
    • BHaR
    • The Resistance
    • The 2nd Law
    • Drones

BHR doesn't actually seem that bad. A turn in a different direction perhaps, but some of it reminds me of Queen - I don't like Soldier's Poem, though, and there aren't enough truly anthemic tracks on the album for it to really get you into the fantasticorgasmic zone. OOS is perhaps more consistent, and probably my favourite, very powerful stuff on there for me.

Showbiz, because it was the amazing discovery (band, songs, arrangement, their potential...)

Then the two following (OoS, Absolution) seems to me as copies of the first one (same arrangements, same kind of songs, same feelings, .... played in concert, you can't just say if a song is played or not, or played twice... Ok, ok, ok, don't throw me stone, it's just imho). Even if I really like them, they are, for me, the sign that Muse really really has to evolve before I get bored.

BHaR in second, just because it sounds as a beginning of an evolution I really like (even if some guitar riff could have been played on any other albums, some parts of songs sounds different, more .. funky? punk? Dance? all-of-them?).

Again, imho, lot's of songs sounds very alike from an album to another, so it's very difficult to say what album I prefere. BHaR sounds the beginning of something new, hope they will go on this way (and in a way I'll like :p). And this is maybe why this album is not very well rated in this thread :), but for me, it's a very good surprise, and Now, I'm waiting for more (I didn't before, almost bored...)

PS: I don't know hullaballo.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my favourite album will have to be Origin of Symmetry. I love EVERY SINGLE SONG in that album. In fact, if some of you are wondering, I like, no, LOVE Feeling Good. I love every song from OOS, although I find Darkshines a tad boring.;)

Next in line would be BH&R and Abso. BH&R has its fair share of great songs and shite ones. For example, KoC, TaB, SMBH, MotP and EVEN Invincible are masterpieces. Songs like Starlight and Exo, however, ruin what would have been a fantastic album. If CS, Easily and Glorious were placed on the album, it would have topped OOS.

As for Abso, there are all-time favourites present in abundance in this album. Apocalypse Please is probably the most powerful album opener and it demonstrates Muse's genious simply because they made a piano song sound extremely heavy. Needless to say, SS and Hysteria are big hits among fans and for good reason. S4A, perhaps the most underrated Muse song, dwells in this album whilst adding to the gloomy atmosphere. There are let-downs in the form of TIRO and TOADA though, both sound too poppy and mainstream.

Showbiz is a charm of an album. It has many masterpieces but the album as a whole lacks kick. Muscle Museum, Showbiz and Sunburn are all present here. Cave and Uno also adds to the charisma that this album offers. Sadly, there are numerous let-downs on this album such as Overdue and the grossly overrated Unintended. This makes it a less attractive package as compared to OOS/Abso/BH&R.

ApocalypsePleasure's Showbiz Rating:

Sunburn 8/10

Muscle Museum 9/10

Filip 7/10

Falling Down 6/10

Cave 8/10

Showbiz 9/10

Unintended 5/10

Uno 8/10

Sober 7/10

Escape 7/10

Overdue 6/10

Hate This and I'll Love You 7/10

Average Showbiz Rating: 7.25/10

ApocalypsePleasure's Origin of Symmetry Rating:

New Born 10/10

Bliss 10/10

Space Dementia 8/10

Hyper Music 8/10

Plug in Baby 8/10

Citizen Erased 8/10

Micro Cuts 9/10

Screenager 8/10

Darkshines 7/10

Feeling Good 8/10

Megalomania 8/10

Average Origin of Symmetry Rating: 8.4/10

ApocalypsePleasure's Absolution Rating:

Apocalypse Please 9/10

Time is Running Out 6/10

Sing for Absolution 9/10

Stockholm Syndrome 9/10

Falling Away with You 8/10

Hysteria 9/10

BlackOut 9/10

Butterflies and Hurricanes 8/10

The Small Print 9/10

Endlessly 8/10

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist 5/10

Ruled By Secrecy 9/10

Average Absolution Rating: 8.2/10

ApocalypsePleasure's Black Holes and Revelations Rating:

Take a Bow 9/10

Starlight 6/10

Supermassive Black Hole 9/10

Map of the Problematique 9/10

Soldiers Poem 6/10

Invincible 9/10

Assassin 7/10

Exo Politics 5/10

City of Delusion 9/10

Hoodoo 8/10

Knights of Cydonia 10/10

Average Black Holes and Revelations Rating: 7.9/10

So as all of you can clearly see, OoS > Absolution > BH&R > Showbiz.

My earlier view about BH&R and Absolution being tied as the second best has clearly changed due to the drastic drop in my love for Exo Politics and Starlight. I cringe everytine I remember that the (rubbish) Starlight was once my fav song.:eek:

Then the two following (OoS, Absolution) seems to me as copies of the first one (same arrangements, same kind of songs, same feelings, .... played in concert, you can't just say if a song is played or not, or played twice... Ok, ok, ok, don't throw me stone, it's just imho). Even if I really like them, they are, for me, the sign that Muse really really has to evolve before I get bored.

Again, imho, lot's of songs sounds very alike from an album to another, so it's very difficult to say what album I prefere. BHaR sounds the beginning of something new, hope they will go on this way (and in a way I'll like :p). And this is maybe why this album is not very well rated in this thread :), but for me, it's a very good surprise, and Now, I'm waiting for more (I didn't before, almost bored...)

PS: I don't know hullaballo.

PS. You don't really know Muse.

Hucksy! Showbiz Rating:

Sunburn 9/10

Muscle Museum 8/10

Filip 7/10

Falling Down 5/10

Cave 7/10

Showbiz 9/10

Unintended 9/10

Uno 7/10

Sober 6/10

Escape 8/10

Overdue 6/10

Hate This and I'll Love You 9/10

Average Showbiz Rating: 7.5/10

Hucksy! Origin of Symmetry Rating:

New Born 10/10

Bliss 10/10

Space Dementia 9/10

Hyper Music 6/10

Plug in Baby 9/10

Citizen Erased 7/10

Micro Cuts 8/10

Screenager 5/10

Darkshines 6/10

Feeling Good 7/10

Megalomania 8/10

Average Origin of Symmetry Rating: 7.72/10

Hucksy! Hullabaloo Rating:

Forced In 6/10

Shrinking Universe 8/10

Recess 5/10

Yes Please 7/10

Map of Your Head 8/10

Nature_1 7/10

Shine (Acoustic) 9/10

Ashamed 7/10

The Gallery 4/10

Hyper Chondriac Music 9/10

Average Hullabaloo Rating: 7/10

Hucksy! Absolution Rating:

Apocalypse Please 9/10

Time is Running Out 8/10

Sing for Absolution 9/10

Stockholm Syndrome 10/10

Falling Away with You 6/10

Hysteria 9/10

Blackout 9/10

Butterflies and Hurricanes 9/10

The Small Print 7/10

Endlessly 5/10

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist 7/10

Ruled By Secrecy 9/10

Average Absolution Rating: 8.08/10

Hucksy! Black Holes and Revelations Rating:

Take a Bow 9/10

Starlight 8/10

Supermassive Black Hole 8/10

Map of the Problematique 8/10

Soldiers Poem 7/10

Invincible 7/10

Assassin 6/10

Exo Politics 5/10

City of Delusion 8/10

Hoodoo 9/10

Knights of Cydonia 10/10

Average Black Holes and Revelations Rating: 7.72/10

Hucksy! Hullabaloo Rating:

Forced In 6/10

Shrinking Universe 8/10

Recess 5/10

Yes Please 7/10

Map of Your Head 8/10

Nature_1 7/10

Shine (Acoustic) 9/10

Ashamed 7/10

The Gallery 4/10

Hyper Chondriac Music 9/10

Average Hullabaloo Rating: 7/10

Absolution > OoS + BH&R > Showbiz > Hullabaloo

In Order:

Origin Of Symmetry. I love every song on this album, it's not only my favourite Muse album but my favourite album of all time. Hyper Music, Plug In Baby, Bliss, Citizen Erased, New Born, Micro Cuts and Screenager (guitar version is far superior to piano version btw :p) I would all give 10/10 to and the remaining songs 8 or 9 out of 10. For me there just isn't a weak spot. I love how the album flows too starting off in this demented riff heavy space rock and descending via the end of CE and Microcuts into dense atmosphere and madness with Feeling Good offering the only let up, but even that sound vaguely menacing and disturbing. Original, inspiring and to my ears perfection. 10/10

Black Holes and Revelations. If Glorious, Assassin GOB edit, Crying Shame had been included (in that order - try it!) instead of Invincible and the album verison of Assassin then this would rival OOS. It's that middle lull that annoys me, indeed i felt the need to make my own version with those above changes. Invincible is not Muse's worst song (and it would have made a v good b side) but I now skip it every time and it makes me feel embarassed every time I hear it on the radio, whilst Starlight & the album version of Assassin just sound vaguely dull (especially in comparison to the awesome GOB edit), but otherwise this album is fantastic. Supermassive Black Hole, Map Of The Problematique, City Of Delusion, the GOB edit and KOC are amongst Muse's best. I even love the vastly under rated Exo Politics and Soldiers Poem whilst Take A Bow is a fantatic opener. It's an album which is diverse and more often than not brilliant. 8/10 or with my changes - 9/10

Hullabaloo is often forgotten of overlooked by fans but over the years I've come to appreciate it more and more. There are average songs on here (like Ashamed & Shrinking Uuniverse) but they are more than balanced by others which I prefer to many of Muse's A sides. Forced In, Hyper Chondriac Music & The Gallery are atmospheric masterclasses, which I wish Muse would do more of. I find it impossible to sit still in Yes Please (I wish they'd included the studio of Agitated as well). Recess (a surreal maserpiece!), Nature_1, Shine acoustic are all amongst my favourite Muse tracks too. It is just a fantastic and seriously under rated album. It's Muse's Kid A. 7.5/10

Absolution. First off I hate Apocalypse Please. I'm sorry but it's just bad imo :p. The production on this album is also pretty bad, everything sounds too samey and made to try and sound too mainstream, the vocals often far too high in the mix whilst the guitars are occasionally too low, or in the case of the album mix of B&H not there at all. In fact B&H is a perfect example - awesome build up, bass, piano solo but the whole thing feels sterile, it lacks energy, the vocals sound too harsh and high in the mix and I now end up skipping it everytime. On the positive side tho Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Ruled By Secrecy & Blackout are all brilliant and I also love the hugely under rated Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist, Time Is Running Out and Endlessly. The whole album flows together pretty much seamlessly and on the whole does work well. 7/10

Showbiz sounds like a first album. Cave, Filip, Sunburn and Showbiz are all brilliant (and, whilst it's not on there Spiral Static is one of my fav muse songs), but on the whole the album lacks a bit in song writing polish and the later riffs, whilst the vocals occasionally sound a bit strained (and the lyrics are often hilarious!). Uno is terrible and I can never make up my mind whether to love or wince at Unintended! I have to be in the right mood to listen to it but it has some awesome songs and I worry it may be over looked too much as Muse's catelogue of songs expand. 7/10

Archived