1. 1. Best Album

• Showbiz
    • OoS
    • Absolution
    • BHaR
    • The Resistance
    • The 2nd Law
    • Drones

I have been listening to Abso more than OoS this whole week and I do realise why some consider it Muse's best album.

Its brilliant. The continuity and the dark theme of Abso owns the utter randomness of OoS. The Abso songs themselves are not as promising as those in OoS but they are good nonetheless. I'll give a song by song review because I love doing just that.:D

Intro + Apocalypse Please 10/10

Definitely one of my all-time favourites. This song DEFINES the album. An explosive opener to an album, the best in fact. The lyrics are relevant and strong towards the theme and the bassline and drumline are beyond fantastic. Needless to say, the violent piano adds to the atmosphere and Matt's voice range can be heard throughout the whole song. A masterpiece, along with New Born, Bliss and Knights of Cydonia.

Time is Running Out 7/10

A song that is in its entirety, an average one. I can understand why it appeals to the masses though. It is safe to assume that this song has grown on me tremendously and I actually look forward to listening to this everytime I play Abso. (I used to skip it.:LOL:)

Sing for Absolution 9/10

The third Muse song I ever heard and thus, a sentimental song for me. I really love this song because of the gloomy atmosphere it weaves and the amazing lyrics. This is the best Muse song written and one of the best live songs ever. Its too bad its severely underrated. I will still adore this song till the end of time.

Stockholm Syndrome 9/10

Hoho! Needless to say, this song is perhaps the heaviest and yet, one of the most brilliant. The riff is exceptionally good, the solo is orgasmic and the chorus and verses are very original especially with the use of strings in the chorus. Another masterpiece.

Falling Away With You 8/10

A break from SS' heaviness. Very touching lyrics and some genious lines in this song. i bet this would have been a great song live. Pity they didnt do it live. Another great song from Abso. It also prepares us for the one and only.....

Interlude + Hysteria 9/10

OMFG! This song was my second favourite song ( first was Bliss obviously) for nearly 2 years owing to the fact that it was the 2nd Muse song I heard. My favourite guitar riff and guitar solo in ANY song, bar KoC. The lyrics and build up are amazing with a kickass chorus, complete with a beefy bassline that inspires many or maybe even ALL bass players. Definitely one of the top 3 in the album.

Blackout 8/10

Another break from a heavy song. It's probably one of the most original songs. I absolutely adore the lyrics, I never fail to get moved whenever I hear this song live. One of the highlights at Wembley as well. Such a beautiful song.

Butterflies and Hurricanes 8/10

This song is simple, a build-up leading to a rocky middle part which ends in a magnificent piano interlude and then completing with a bang. The album version is meh, but its one of the best live songs ever.

The Small Print 8/10

This song is all about the drums and the riff. Make no mistake. Its fast and furious, it pumps your heart into overdrive. Basicaly a modern version of Hyper Music but HM is obviously better.

Endlessly 8/10

Whats with all the hate? This song was one of my instant favs when I first heard Abso. I really ponder over why its hated so much. Its basically a song with an uplifting beat but depressing lyrics. Which is genious if you think about it. I love the drumbeat in this song.

Thoughts of a Dying Atheist 6/10

If ther's any reason why people hate the album, it mustbe because of this. WTF is that waily chorus all about? And where did all the poppish guitar and bassline come from? The only saving grace is the ace guitar solo and the lyrics.

Ruled by Secrecy 10/10

One of my favourites. Period. This song has one solemn message and I think this song has a build up like no other. I cant even begin to describe why this song is such a great one, there are simply no words to describe its brilliance.

There you go, an Abso review. I think its safe to say that Abso is on par with OoS, dont you guys think?:happy:

No offence to these people rating and reviewing individual songs and albums. In fact i've been guilty of the very same thing. I just wonder how many people bother to read them lol. It's like blogging. Many people like to write them, very few like to read them... :rolleyes:

No offence to these people rating and reviewing individual songs and albums. In fact i've been guilty of the very same thing. I just wonder how many people bother to read them lol. It's like blogging. Many people like to write them, very few like to read them... :rolleyes:

:LOL: All too true.

So i'll make it simple!

OOS: New Born 9/10, Bliss 10/10, Space Dementia 8/10, Hyper Music 10/10, Plug in Baby 10/10, Citizen Erased 9/10, Micro Cuts 9/10, Screenager 9/10, Darkshines 8/10, Feeling Good 8/10, Megalomania 7/10

= 9/10

Abso: Apocalypse Please 5/10, Time is Running Out 8/10, Sing For Absolution 7/10, Stockholm Syndrome 10/10, Falling Away With You 7/10, Hysteria 9/10, Blackout 9/10, Butterflies & Hurricanes 6/10, The Small Print 7/10, Endlessly 7/10, Thoughts Of A Dying Athiest 7/10, Ruled By Secrecy 9/10

= 7.5/10

OoS: New Born 8/10, Bliss 8/10, Space Dementia 10/10, Hyper Music 9.5/10, Plug In Baby 6/10, Citizen Erased 5.5/10, Micro Cuts 6.5/10, Screenager 9/10, Dark Shines 6.5/10, Feeling Good 8.5/10, Megalomania 5/10

=7.5/10

Absolution: Apocalypse Please 9/10, Time Is Running Out 9/10, Sing for Absolution 9.5/10, Stockholm Syndrome 10/10, Falling Away with You 7/10, Hysteria 10/10, Blackout 9/10, Butterflies and Hurricanes 9/10, The Small Print 9/10, Endlessly 9/10, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist 7/10, Ruled by Secrecy 10/10

=8.96/10

Wow I managed to reverse the scores without even trying! We must be polar opposites...

Run down...

Showbiz

I only really like Muscle Museum and Showbiz. The rest is pretty shit in my books.

Origin Of Symmetry

10 brilliant tracks, New Born being my favourite Muse song of all time. Shame it's ruined by Feeling Good.

Absolution

My favourite album simply because it flows so well. Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria and Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist are among my favourite Muse songs of all time. The album however, is let down by a few tracks, namely Sing For Absolution (shit) and Butterflies & Hurricanes (a bit shit).

Black Holes & Revelations

Same as Absolution really, it holds some of my favourite Muse songs of all time, Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique, Assassin (Grand Omega Bosses ofc) and City Of Delusion. Again, like Absolution it is spoilt by a few weak songs, Starlight and Exo-Politics being the two main culprets (the latter being almost the worst song Muse have ever produced).

Overall...

Showbiz - 4/10

Love: Muscle Museum, Showbiz

Ergh: Falling Down, Escape

Origin Of Symmetry - 8.5/10

Love: New Born, Bliss, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased

Ergh: Feeling Good

Absolution - 9/10

Love: Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

Ergh: Sing For Absolution, Butterflies & Hurricanes

Black Holes & Revelations - 8/10

Love: Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique, Assassin (GOB Edit), City Of Delusion

Ergh: Starlight, Soldier's Poem, Exo-Politics

In Order:

Origin Of Symmetry. I love every song on this album, it's not only my favourite Muse album but my favourite album of all time. Hyper Music, Plug In Baby, Bliss, Citizen Erased, New Born, Micro Cuts and Screenager (guitar version is far superior to piano version btw :p) I would all give 10/10 to and the remaining songs 8 or 9 out of 10. For me there just isn't a weak spot. I love how the album flows too starting off in this demented riff heavy space rock and descending via the end of CE and Microcuts into dense atmosphere and madness with Feeling Good offering the only let up, but even that sound vaguely menacing and disturbing. Original, inspiring and to my ears perfection. 10/10

Black Holes and Revelations. If Glorious, Assassin GOB edit, Crying Shame had been included (in that order - try it!) instead of Invincible and the album verison of Assassin then this would rival OOS. It's that middle lull that annoys me, indeed i felt the need to make my own version with those above changes. Invincible is not Muse's worst song (and it would have made a v good b side) but I now skip it every time and it makes me feel embarassed every time I hear it on the radio, whilst Starlight & the album version of Assassin just sound vaguely dull (especially in comparison to the awesome GOB edit), but otherwise this album is fantastic. Supermassive Black Hole, Map Of The Problematique, City Of Delusion, the GOB edit and KOC are amongst Muse's best. I even love the vastly under rated Exo Politics and Soldiers Poem whilst Take A Bow is a fantatic opener. It's an album which is diverse and more often than not brilliant. 8/10 or with my changes - 9/10

Hullabaloo is often forgotten of overlooked by fans but over the years I've come to appreciate it more and more. There are average songs on here (like Ashamed & Shrinking Uuniverse) but they are more than balanced by others which I prefer to many of Muse's A sides. Forced In, Hyper Chondriac Music & The Gallery are atmospheric masterclasses, which I wish Muse would do more of. I find it impossible to sit still in Yes Please (I wish they'd included the studio of Agitated as well). Recess (a surreal maserpiece!), Nature_1, Shine acoustic are all amongst my favourite Muse tracks too. It is just a fantastic and seriously under rated album. It's Muse's Kid A. 7.5/10

Absolution. First off I hate Apocalypse Please. I'm sorry but it's just bad imo :p. The production on this album is also pretty bad, everything sounds too samey and made to try and sound too mainstream, the vocals often far too high in the mix whilst the guitars are occasionally too low, or in the case of the album mix of B&H not there at all. In fact B&H is a perfect example - awesome build up, bass, piano solo but the whole thing feels sterile, it lacks energy, the vocals sound too harsh and high in the mix and I now end up skipping it everytime. On the positive side tho Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Ruled By Secrecy & Blackout are all brilliant and I also love the hugely under rated Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist, Time Is Running Out and Endlessly. The whole album flows together pretty much seamlessly and on the whole does work well. 7/10

Showbiz sounds like a first album. Cave, Filip, Sunburn and Showbiz are all brilliant (and, whilst it's not on there Spiral Static is one of my fav muse songs), but on the whole the album lacks a bit in song writing polish and the later riffs, whilst the vocals occasionally sound a bit strained (and the lyrics are often hilarious!). Uno is terrible and I can never make up my mind whether to love or wince at Unintended! I have to be in the right mood to listen to it but it has some awesome songs and I worry it may be over looked too much as Muse's catelogue of songs expand. 7/10

I cannot believe how much I agree with you :eek:

The only thing I'd change, apart from the order of the albums, which I can't really decide, is your dislike for Uno.

Showbiz:

Love: Muscle Museum, Showbiz, Sunburn, Unintended

Ergh: Falling Down, Overdue

Origin Of Symmetry

Love: New Born, Bliss, Plug In Baby

Ergh: Screenager, Citizen Erased

Absolution - 9/10

Love: Apocalypse Please, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Ruled by Secrecy

Ergh: Endlessly

Black Holes & Revelations - 8/10

Love: Knights of Cydonia, HooDoo

Ergh: Assassin, Exo-Politics

I can't seem to listen to Origin of Symmetry unless I'm in the zone or else it just annoys me. What I mean by "zone" is somewhere where I can listen to the whole album through and not be distracted. I dunno why, that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, the album is brilliant. It's just it's not the kind of music I can listen to on my iPod whilst on the bus or something. I have to be in deep concentration. lol.

But yeah, I would have to say Absolution is my favorite mostly because how great the songs are live.

So it's:

1. Absolution

2. OoS

3. BHAR

Thats the thing about it, you see. People who are arsed to discover what the opinions of others are usually have a wider knowledge and greater appreciation of things around them.

EDIT: And may I kindly ask, WTF is wrong with S4A? Its a great song and an even better one live.

adore all of em, Absolution probably wins for me though. it keepd the instruments in control of the sound, Black Holes is a bit too electronic-y.

addicted to the Showbiz album at the minute, can't stop listening to Origins, and Black Holes is a favourite album in my collection.

Guest Muse Fanatic

Absolution was the first and best album I bought of MUSE, it has most of my favourite songs in it. :p

Thats the thing about it, you see. People who are arsed to discover what the opinions of others are usually have a wider knowledge and greater appreciation of things around them.

EDIT: And may I kindly ask, WTF is wrong with S4A? Its a great song and an even better one live.

Who you asking? Can't be me as Sing for Absolution is like in my top 2 or 3 favourite Muse songs.

From most to least favourite:

Black Holes & Revelations

An album that made me a Muse fan and one of my favourite albums made by any artist, period. I think it's their most varied, consistent and enjoyable effort and a true album experience.

Absolution

Great album, but I find Small Print and Thoughts of a Dying Atheist pretty dull rockers. And there's something about Blackout that screams "perfect closer" to me, so it kinda throws me off pacing-wise; it's like, oh wait there's -more- music coming along. But otherwise it ranges from awesome to really good and I think that it's Muse's first mature, fully realised work where they truly nailed that big, epic sound thing.

Origin of Symmetry

Contains a few absolute gems - Bliss, Plug in Baby, New Born, Feeling Good - but overall I feel that there's something adolescent about the album (and that whole era in fact); it leaves me with an impression of a band who are still growing up and whose songwriting skills don't yet match their ambitions.

Showbiz

Very much a "baby" album. Sunburn and Muscle Museum are great but I'm not too fond of the rest. And working through the albums backwards, Matt's thin boyish vocals on their first album is at times embarrassing to listen to.

I'm starting to be obsessed with every single song on OoS now. Even those songs that I did not appreciate much before like Darkshines and Screenager are high in my books. I guess OoS would forever remain my favourite album because it houses my ultimate favourite song, Bliss.

Starting to appreciate Exo and Starlight and even SP now. I dislike Assassin a lot now though. BH&R for 1st runner up favourite album.

I don't remember writing in this thread...

Anyway, if I have, I'll just write again :p

1. OoS

2. Absolution

3. BHaR

4. Showbiz

5. Hullabaloo

My top three favorite albums,

1. Absolution

2. OoS

3. Showbiz

I like Absolution more than OoS only because, Absolution has Fury on it, and I LOVE that song. Also, Absolution was the first Muse album I ever bought, so I'm biased.

1.Absolution

-My favorite because of a couple reasons. This is the first album from Muse that i bought and really got into. Its simply amazing how 3 guys can produce such massive songs such as AP, The Small Print, and pretty much every thing on that album. There is not a dull moment, with every single song playing the exact role it was made to.

2.Origin of Symmetry

-I believe that this album was the turning point for Muse. Showbiz had been a success, but this really broke through. Very powerful songs on here that make it worth listening to, no matter what "genre" of Muse you prefer. Micro Cuts is my favorite song on this album because it shows how incredibly talented Bellamy is.

3.Showbiz

-Even though it was Muse's debut album, it certainly didnt suck. This album is amazing from from to back. My only problem is that they sounded like they really didnt know which direction they wanted to go yet. They had songs that forshadowed later music, such as Sunburn and Muscle Museum. But they also had songs that really didnt go anywhere, such as Uno.

4.Black Holes and Revelations

-Muse's latest album, BH&R is deffinatly a "Supermassive Album". There are many great songs, including my favorite, Map of the Problematique, that leave you wanting to come back for more. Im not quite sure what it is about this album, but theres something lacking and it just seems way less prepared than the other albums were. Assassin seemed very rusehd and like a last min song or something. Some songs on the album just didnt click with me very well and the lack of piano was a huge dissapointment.

5.Hullabaloo

-There are song great songs on this album. Shrinking Universe and the calm version of Hyper Music, Hyper Chondriac Music, both keep me listening to this album. There are just too many songs on here that I think never got any recognition for a reason...theyre not very good. By Muse standards that is of course. Overall, this is a good album, but like i said, by Muse's standards, this album is very lacking.

1. Origin of Symmetry because it has: New Born, Bliss, Space Dementia, Hyper Music, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased and Micro Cuts on it! Plus Screenager, Dark Shines and Feeling Good are quite decent too. It is the best, its bassline driven with some riffs scattered around.

2.Black Holes and Revelations, a bit hit and miss but the last 3 songs are immense, as is Take A Bow and Map of

3.Showbiz - A bit rough round the edges but Showbiz and Sunburn are still 2 of my favourite Muse songs. Muscle Museum and Uno are also very good. Hate This and I'll Love You is beautiful. Stuff like Fillip and Escape show potential but are a bit weak.

4.Absolution - Its basically just Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome with some other nice tracks but a bit disappointing.