How muse saved my life

weishar

Amazing stories. I cried after reading them. :supersad:

Muse has inspired me to become a better person in life. I was a loner, hardly talk to anybody at school. But things were getting better, and most importantly Muse has helped me to build my self esteem. I'm so grateful that now I have a few close friends, that always be there for me.

I used to cry alone at night because of loneliness, I felt like I was abandoned by my parents, nobody listen to me when I speak. Boys and girls at school don't even realise my existence. Muse has taught me to go fuck it. I'm happy being me and I've improved my relationship with my family. One day, after been inspired by KOC, I wrote down everything that I want to be happened in my life, one of it was to have a good life alongside my family. Yeah, from that moment I started to talk to my parents, and everything went so well.

Now, I have started my study at the Uni, I paste all the inspiring Muse lyrics on my wall because I need them in my life. (:

Muse has inspired me to become a better person in life

Muse helped me when I was questioning my faith.

Me either! I am so thankful!

I am so much different compared to people I am close to. I always felt alone with my views to life, politic, religion, opinions etc. But I am NOT! Thanks to the true and honest lyrics of Muse! It means alot to me!

OP, your story made me cry.

• 3 months later...

The stories that have been shared here have been very touching, especially at 11:30 at night. My story does not come close, but here it is.

I have only known about Muse since Abso, and it was at that same time that my life turned shit for about 4-5 years. In 2007, there were sooooo many times where I though about suiciede and was just about to kill myself when my Mom started playing Sing for Absolution in the other room, and I started crying. That stopped me, and I'm glad it did. There was just a mix of things going on. My grandpa was told he had 6 months to live (and I'm very glad to say that he is still with us) my parents seemed to argue every day (they are still together), and much more. Muse helped me through it all. Muse does change lives, and they are mostly the reason I'm still here.

My story still doesn't come close to some of the others posted here though

That is truely one touching story! My eyes started watering :(

My story isnt as moving as some on here, but Muse still helped me get through a difficult time in the past year.

Earlier this year, my close group of friends whom i had had for 5 years, started gradually leaving me out of everything they did, and when i questioned it, they always denied it, and said i was to blame. This got me very upset, and i used to sit alone in my room on a night and just cry. No one could help me, as i felt as i was not worthy enough to even have any friends any more.

This went on for about 5 months, and towards the end of those 5 months i made some new friends, but i was still very depressed about the whole situation. But on June 26th 2010, i was sat in the lounge flicking through the Tv, and i saw that Muse were on at Glastonbury, so i thought ' Hey, i like a few of their songs, and there is nothing else on the Tv, so why not?'

I watched the entire set, mezmorised by each and every song. i had never heard a band perform so well live! The next day, i watched it again on BBC Iplayer, and still couldnt get over how one show could get me so emotional, one band that i only ever had Hysteria, SMBH, Uprising, KOC and MK Ultra on my ipod. I immediately downloaded all 5 albums, and sat with them of repeat every day. They made me feel happy inside, each song had so much emotion in it and it made me smile. over the next few weeks i had noticabley become more happy, and more outgoing, and i was reverting back to my original self.

I am now very happy, with some great friends, and a rather unhealthy obsession with the best band in the world <3 ;))

I wouldn't say Muse immediately saved my life, but they've with no doubt changed it. I could write down all the things on here that they've done for me, but all I can think of right now is how much they've opened me up more as a person and how Exogenesis Part 3 consoled me after a classmate of mine died of a rare cancer. Right after another classmate died in a car accident in winter. Right after another alum of our high school died in a snowmobile accident. And right after another perished in Iraq. Oh, and right after one of the members of my church suddenly died.

Death brings a toll on a person.

This year at school was not good for me; Redemption felt like redemption from all the depression I went through (and still feel every winter (I'm pretty certain I have SAD, but that's a tad beside the point)). I'm so glad I met Matt. I'm so glad to have met the man that brings so much happiness to me and the rest of Muse's fans.

I'm so happy one person or a couple people can have so much positive impact on thousands of individuals' lives.

• 7 months later...

I know have already posted a story on this thread, but for a second time their music has kinda saved my life.

In the past year, I have been self harming, and I'm currently on suicide watch (again). I had been bullied to the point of this, and what really triggered the cutting was my best friend telling me "I don't care if you die, go kill yourself". Many people that see someone that has self harmed, most of the time they think "that person's weird" or "my God what an emo" and sometimes they even pick on you more, which drives more self harm. This happened to me so much, and mainly why it lasted for so long. Up until a month ago, the only person other than myself was this one girl (may God bless her) that has helped me through this whole thing. She really was the one that pushed the music therapy for me, and would keep asking what music do i want to listen to and would then put that music on. It wasn't just Muse's music, it in general was all types of music (but Muse had more of an impact than other bands) that really has got me through this all.

I am currently going through therapy for this, and every day I am thankful that I am still alive, and though not fully due to Muse, their music had such a huge impact. I will forever be in debt to that one girl (we're now dating), and in the past month my parents have been really trying to get me through this. It has now been about a week since I've last self harmed, and even though there's always that feeling to do it again, I constantly blast Muse in my ears to drown it out :happy:.

I know have already posted a story on this thread, but for a second time their music has kinda saved my life.

In the past year, I have been self harming, and I'm currently on suicide watch (again). I had been bullied to the point of this, and what really triggered the cutting was my best friend telling me "I don't care if you die, go kill yourself". Many people that see someone that has self harmed, most of the time they think "that person's weird" or "my God what an emo" and sometimes they even pick on you more, which drives more self harm. This happened to me so much, and mainly why it lasted for so long. Up until a month ago, the only person other than myself was this one girl (may God bless her) that has helped me through this whole thing. She really was the one that pushed the music therapy for me, and would keep asking what music do i want to listen to and would then put that music on. It wasn't just Muse's music, it in general was all types of music (but Muse had more of an impact than other bands) that really has got me through this all.

I am currently going through therapy for this, and every day I am thankful that I am still alive, and though not fully due to Muse, their music had such a huge impact. I will forever be in debt to that one girl (we're now dating), and in the past month my parents have been really trying to get me through this. It has now been about a week since I've last self harmed, and even though there's always that feeling to do it again, I constantly blast Muse in my ears to drown it out :happy:.

Awww. Good luck. I think listening to the music from Muse can be a way to deal with things.

I'm so sorry to hear this but glad you're on the road to recovery. Hold on to that girl! Much love <333

:happy: I'm really happy for you. You go, Zach!

I dont have any stories to match all of yours, but I'll tell mine anyway.

Muse were incredibly helpful during the main period of growing up. I'd always felt different, even to my friends (the sort of friends who people say are different to begin with) and Muse helped deal with this in many ways. They seem to have music for every emotion but importantly, as someone has said, there is always a sense of hope in every song, whatever the tone. During a particular low point in my life I read a quote from Bellamy about how he used guitar playing as an escape, that whatever negative thing happened in his life, he would just go and play guitar and be reminded that he is happy with himself. This pretty much led to me imitating this exactly and whenever anything happens in my life its always an excellent way to vent.

A quick mention to the forum, the last year has been probably the most challenging of my life as far as being happy is concerned. I have a girlfriend who I very much love but everything else in my life has been falling apart a little. My student life, whatever it maybe, seemed to have no future and I was accused of stealing at work but havent been able to find another job. Not groundbreaking stuff, but all of it led to issues with first illegal substances and then later on bits of insomnia. During this time Carinarose from this forum was always online to talk to, and was generally reassuring and awesome to me, and so was Silentenvy, for the same reasons, but different methods (though you are still a prick). So thank you to you two. If either of you take the piss I will murder you.

Glad to see such a positive thread.

edit : After several dark years, I am now very happy.

Muse were incredibly helpful during the main period of growing up. I'd always felt different, even to my friends (the sort of friends who people say are different to begin with) and Muse helped deal with this in many ways. They seem to have music for every emotion but importantly, as someone has said, there is always a sense of hope in every song, whatever the tone. During a particular low point in my life I read a quote from Bellamy about how he used guitar playing as an escape, that whatever negative thing happened in his life, he would just go and play guitar and be reminded that he is happy with himself. This pretty much led to me imitating this exactly and whenever anything happens in my life its always an excellent way to vent.

A quick mention to the forum, the last year has been probably the most challenging of my life as far as being happy is concerned. I have a girlfriend who I very much love but everything else in my life has been falling apart a little. My student life, whatever it maybe, seemed to have no future and I was accused of stealing at work but havent been able to find another job. Not groundbreaking stuff, but all of it led to issues with first illegal substances and then later on bits of insomnia. During this time Carinarose from this forum was always online to talk to, and was generally reassuring and awesome to me, and so was Silentenvy, for the same reasons, but different methods (though you are still a prick). So thank you to you two. If either of you take the piss I will murder you.

Aw, you seem like a dead nice person on here, I'm glad things are going better for you. Also, you are from the North West so are automatically very cool indeed.

Aww Luke <3

I'm usually around if you ever need anyone to talk to.

This thread is absolutely heart-breaking, I just can't believe what you've been through. Your stories are all so touching, it's just amazing how much their music can affect people. I really hope things get better for all of you.

I'm glad you're getting through this, it's nice to hear that things are changing for the good. I honestly can't believe how heartless some people can be, you deserve happiness.

Yes..alot of amazing stories on here..I just love going on here..I just love muse in general i feel like matt dom and chris are the brothers i never had..And on here all of you are like my family.

Muse is my life. And im glad Muse is my life. I've went through ALOT so far of my 16 years of life..Havent really had anyone there for me..always been put down and have had no self asteem..But Muse has helped me so much..Including all the fans on here along with me. You are incredible and i love you all. :happy:

One big family on here basically i feel ahaha im cheesy but thats how i feel i guess you can say. Im a very emotionial person in many ways and people always make quick judgements on me because i express myself way to much like i did right now but i just like to spill out everything.

i feel the same

d'aww Lukeee! :happy: I feel honored. Lol. I can honestly say that you are one of my closest friends and I can talk to you about anything, even though we have an entire ocean between us. Haha. You know I'm here for you. ;)

(Just noticed I posted in here a lonnnnggggg time ago. xD)

Awww. Good luck. I think listening to the music from Muse can be a way to deal with things.

I completely agree, but it wasn't just Muse. (Believe it or not) Limp Bizkit actually helped a lot too, some of their songs was just like so explanatory of how I felt, it actually really helped.

I'm so sorry to hear this but glad you're on the road to recovery. Hold on to that girl! Much love <333

Thank you :) I am holding on to that girl and I don't think I will ever let go :happy:

:happy: I'm really happy for you. You go, Zach!

Thank you Tofu!!

This thread is absolutely heart-breaking, I just can't believe what you've been through. Your stories are all so touching, it's just amazing how much their music can affect people. I really hope things get better for all of you.

I'm glad you're getting through this, it's nice to hear that things are changing for the good. I honestly can't believe how heartless some people can be, you deserve happiness.

Even though I'm on the road to recovery, it is so fucking hard to find happiness. There still is not a big enough outlet for all the stress that I have, so I'm still depressed a lot, I'm just not cutting any more now

I completely agree, but it wasn't just Muse. (Believe it or not) Limp Bizkit actually helped a lot too, some of their songs was just like so explanatory of how I felt, it actually really helped.

Thank you :) I am holding on to that girl and I don't think I will ever let go :happy:

Thank you Tofu!!

Even though I'm on the road to recovery, it is so fucking hard to find happiness. There still is not a big enough outlet for all the stress that I have, so I'm still depressed a lot, I'm just not cutting any more now

:supersad: I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope (and think!) you can get through this. I can't possibly understand what your going through, but I think you're an incredibly strong person if you've managed to stop cutting, your story shows you've come a long way and somehow, I'm sure you'll find a way out. Good luck! :)

Wow. This thread is amazing. All of you are amazing. Here is my story.

My step dad has been verbally abusing my mom, brother, two sisters and I for my whole life, which is 15 years. When my mom married him, he was prince charming, she said. After a year, he changed. Some people may say that verbal abuse isn't that big of a deal. I disagree. He has bruised my mother before and recently kicked my little brother. He throws things at my mom including a heavy tape measure that just missed her and broke her shower door. When my sister was five, he taped her to a chair because she didn't finish her dinner. My "father" hasn't talked to me in three years. He doesn't acknowledge that I exist, except for when he wants to yell at me. He gets mad when I sing or even when I talk around him. Nobody believes us. I don't blame them. Outside of the home, he is the nicest guy, so they say. When we try to tell them, they just say, "I just don't see him doing that!" I guess it makes sense. Out in public, he is happy and cheerful and we are sad, standoffish, and shy. He acts inappropriately towards other woman, which hurts my mom so very deeply, and yet gets furious when my mom talks to a young man who could be her son! My stress level is unhealthily high. I have trouble trusting anyone and have a intense fear of men. I cry almost every night, wishing I was never born. I've had suicidal thoughts that nobody knows about. I know it may seem easy just to leave him, but it isn't that simple. My mom would have to find a job and support four kids. My mom has been subjected to abuse her whole life. Even as a kid. But it is all my fault. If only I wasn't so stupid, annoying, bratty, then maybe he wouldn't hurt us anymore. I hate the feeling, when he walks into the room, I get scared. I can feel his hatred towards me. Anyways, enough with my stupid self-pitying. Muse had served as my escape. A world where he doesn't exist. It's all mine. The music takes me away and helps me cope. It gets me through. Not to mention Matt's dashingly good looks which helps me take my mind off whatever is happening in the real world. So thank you Muse for being there for me and thank you Musers for listening to me.

Wow. This thread is amazing. All of you are amazing. Here is my story.

My step dad has been verbally abusing my mom, brother, two sisters and I for my whole life, which is 15 years. When my mom married him, he was prince charming, she said. After a year, he changed. Some people may say that verbal abuse isn't that big of a deal. I disagree. He has bruised my mother before and recently kicked my little brother. He throws things at my mom including a heavy tape measure that just missed her and broke her shower door. When my sister was five, he taped her to a chair because she didn't finish her dinner. My "father" hasn't talked to me in three years. He doesn't acknowledge that I exist, except for when he wants to yell at me. He gets mad when I sing or even when I talk around him. Nobody believes us. I don't blame them. Outside of the home, he is the nicest guy, so they say. When we try to tell them, they just say, "I just don't see him doing that!" I guess it makes sense. Out in public, he is happy and cheerful and we are sad, standoffish, and shy. He acts inappropriately towards other woman, which hurts my mom so very deeply, and yet gets furious when my mom talks to a young man who could be her son! My stress level is unhealthily high. I have trouble trusting anyone and have a intense fear of men. I cry almost every night, wishing I was never born. I've had suicidal thoughts that nobody knows about. I know it may seem easy just to leave him, but it isn't that simple. My mom would have to find a job and support four kids. My mom has been subjected to abuse her whole life. Even as a kid. But it is all my fault. If only I wasn't so stupid, annoying, bratty, then maybe he wouldn't hurt us anymore. I hate the feeling, when he walks into the room, I get scared. I can feel his hatred towards me. Anyways, enough with my stupid self-pitying. Muse had served as my escape. A world where he doesn't exist. It's all mine. The music takes me away and helps me cope. It gets me through. Not to mention Matt's dashingly good looks which helps me take my mind off whatever is happening in the real world. So thank you Muse for being there for me and thank you Musers for listening to me.

That story is heart wrenching. I'm really, very sorry for what your going through. Please don't think of it as self pitying, its great you've got it into the open, and it always helps to talk to people. I know I don't know you, but you seem like a nice person, and no one deserves to feel that scared and absolutely none of it is your fault. I really hope that things change for you, for what you've been through, you and your family deserve to be happy. Don't let anyone belittle your problems, honestly, those people should be listening to you, their ignorance is disgraceful.

I can relate to the idea of Muse being an escape, its strange how their music offers that comfort when you need it, its just so relatable in a way.

If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you. :)

d'aww Lukeee! :happy: I feel honored. Lol. I can honestly say that you are one of my closest friends and I can talk to you about anything, even though we have an entire ocean between us. Haha. You know I'm here for you. ;)

(Just noticed I posted in here a lonnnnggggg time ago. xD)

Carina <3. Roll on Benicassim '12!

That story is heart wrenching. I'm really, very sorry for what your going through. Please don't think of it as self pitying, its great you've got it into the open, and it always helps to talk to people. I know I don't know you, but you seem like a nice person, and no one deserves to feel that scared and absolutely none of it is your fault. I really hope that things change for you, for what you've been through, you and your family deserve to be happy. Don't let anyone belittle your problems, honestly, those people should be listening to you, their ignorance is disgraceful.

I can relate to the idea of Muse being an escape, its strange how their music offers that comfort when you need it, its just so relatable in a way.

If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you. :)

Thank you so much. Reading that really was a comfort. We are coping and I'm just looking forward to when I can move out and hopefully things will get better for my mom. Thank you for your friend request and I would love to talk sometime! :kiss:

So, my story isn't nearly as depressing as everyone else's, but whatever. And Muse didn't save my life, but it certainly helped. I get panic attacks when I'm going to social events. So, I was going to a friend's party one day, and when I was going to get out of the car, my heart started pounding, I started breathing hard, and I was absolutely positive that it was the wrong house and I was going to embarrass myself somehow even if it was the right house. I sat in the car for literally half an hour, trying not to cry or scream. So I ended up turning on my iPod. A Muse song (I forget which) came on, and I sat for another minute, took a deep breath, and got out of the car and walked slowly to the door and knocked. The party turned out pretty good, and I didn't end up totally embarrassing myself. And of course it was the right house. The song calmed me down when I really needed it :happy:

Archived