How muse saved my life

weishar

My story is slightly different to the majority on here, because it wasnt just Muse that got me through my tough times, it was the community of Musers online that helped me get through it all. Even if I wasnt directly talking about my problems to people, just the fact that i could interact with other people with similar interests to me made a real difference. Being a 'Muser' made me feel like part of something huge and great. Its just about the only thing I feel I can be really proud of.

this is so true. I always feel left out but being a muser makes me feel like I am part of something :happy:I loved seeing them live and seeing so many other musers

Yeah, it's horrible when people try to say, "Well you have it good compared to the starving kids in Africa" or stuff like that. Sure, that's true, but that doesn't mean your problems don't mean anything. It's all about expectation and what you see around you. If anything, the starving kids are better off emotionally because everyone else is starving as well, so they're not alone or odd. But in your case, you're surrounded by a world where families seem perfect and happy, or at least they're supposed to, but you've got huge problems in yours, making it seem abnormal. So being emotional about this type of thing is totally understandable. Just my theory.

And I know what you mean by the emotional rollercoaster thing, it sucks. If you need to talk about anything I'm here too. :)

Exactly! You don't know how many times I've heard people say something like that. I know that starving children are worse off than me, but that doesn't mean what I am dealing with is easy or anything. Something people tell me the most is, "You should be thankful that he puts a roof over your head." True, but I have a feeling I would be a bunch happier in a rickety old shed with a father who loved me.

Exactly! You don't know how many times I've heard people say something like that. I know that starving children are worse off than me, but that doesn't mean what I am dealing with is easy or anything. Something people tell me the most is, "You should be thankful that he puts a roof over your head." True, but I have a feeling I would be a bunch happier in a rickety old shed with a father who loved me.

Yep. The only thing that this "putting into perspective" thing does is make you feel guilty that you're depressed, on top of being depressed as well. Not a good thing.

As a parent of two mini-Musers, and the confidant of two awesome teenage cousins I want to thank you all for sharing your experiences. It takes a lot of courage to write those things down, even if it is to strangers. That is something I have never been able to do about my 'father'.

Your stories are real and should be acknowledged as such, you should not be told to put it into perspective. I acknowledge your stories and pain (for what that may be worth).

Take care and stay true to yourselves. Cheers!

Yep. The only thing that this "putting into perspective" thing does is make you feel guilty that you're depressed, on top of being depressed as well. Not a good thing.

Very true. Some people just shouldn't talk at all. :LOL:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I can't believe what I did to myself! I can't believe that it's today that I went on page2 and found this thread!Well done for coming across with this thread.

I've read some of your stories and they are truly amazing and very touching.That makes me feel better coz now I know that some of you in here can understand my obsession and...the difficulties I had the last couple of years.

Muse has helped me a lot.YOU have helped me alot too.Sorry for the mistakes I'll make writing all I want to tell you but unfortunately English is not my language.Im gonna try to express myself though.

I'm not sure if it was last year or this spring because I've made myself to forget those days of my life without,of course,forget how this amazing music helped me.Anyway.I was very happy.Everything in my life was like I wanted to be.Until,one night I woke up due to a terrible pain on my ankle.The pain wouldn't go,even if I was trying in vain to make it stop by taking medicine.I hadn't told any1 nothing about that for about a month I think.Through that horrible month I tried to find out what had caused this pain.I searched on Google and finally I thought I had cancer.That made me talk to my parents.

For a month or two I wa going from doctor to doctor having painful tests.After those tests I had to wait for a couple of weeks to get the results

I was afraid that I could die and anyway to make this story shorter,I was in the car,I openedthe radio and KoC was playing then.When I heard the lyric "No one's gonna take me alive" I felt better and when I was supposed to be afraid and cry I found out that i wasn't afraid anymore!

Finaly it wasn't cancer as I thought.Sorry for reading that.I had to take it of my chest:)

Wow! I can't believe what I did to myself! I can't believe that it's today that I went on page2 and found this thread!Well done for coming across with this thread.

I've read some of your stories and they are truly amazing and very touching.That makes me feel better coz now I know that some of you in here can understand my obsession and...the difficulties I had the last couple of years.

Muse has helped me a lot.YOU have helped me alot too.Sorry for the mistakes I'll make writing all I want to tell you but unfortunately English is not my language.Im gonna try to express myself though.

I'm not sure if it was last year or this spring because I've made myself to forget those days of my life without,of course,forget how this amazing music helped me.Anyway.I was very happy.Everything in my life was like I wanted to be.Until,one night I woke up due to a terrible pain on my ankle.The pain wouldn't go,even if I was trying in vain to make it stop by taking medicine.I hadn't told any1 nothing about that for about a month I think.Through that horrible month I tried to find out what had caused this pain.I searched on Google and finally I thought I had cancer.That made me talk to my parents.

For a month or two I wa going from doctor to doctor having painful tests.After those tests I had to wait for a couple of weeks to get the results

I was afraid that I could die and anyway to make this story shorter,I was in the car,I openedthe radio and KoC was playing then.When I heard the lyric "No one's gonna take me alive" I felt better and when I was supposed to be afraid and cry I found out that i wasn't afraid anymore!

Finaly it wasn't cancer as I thought.Sorry for reading that.I had to take it of my chest:)

That would be scary. I hope you are doing better. :) Muse (and just music in general) has done wonders for me and i'm glad that it has helped you also.

That would be scary. I hope you are doing better. :) Muse (and just music in general) has done wonders for me and i'm glad that it has helped you also.

I'm doing better,thanks:)Actually the pain has gone.I bet music ha helped everyone but not all of us can admit it.I'm glad,too, for sharing this with you:happy:

Hey everyone well it's been a long time and im going to see them again in quebec city and i think its about time i explain to all those who say "why is Muse so amazing" ill tell you

P.S get ready for a landslide.

When i was 8 years old my parents got divorced and i lost 12 thats right 12 very close people to me aunts, uncles, and most of all my grandparents :( i suffered for years now anyone who lives in ontario canada knows muse is never on the radio.

One day i just had enough im sorry for all you haters out there but life was to harsh to bare... I set aside a bottle of pills one morning and about a quart of rum and i set of to highschool (grade 12) and i told all my teachers i was going on vacation to california when really i was going to go home and kill myself... Then i walked into my last classroom but i had to wait for my teacher to finish her class before i could tell her. THEN at that moment Invincible came on the radio and i was approached by the most amazing girl ive ever seen and she asked me to help her for a second this was on april 23rd 2009 and we became connected it was amazing and no word of a lie as she said will you help me with my project Muse sang "Together We're invincible" ......

Folks... That girl and muse has kept me alive for a whole year as of April 26th 2010

Why is Muse amazing?

Muse is amazinf because they gave people who lost hope.. hope again and their lyrics speak to us in ways other bands dont.

I dont know any of you people but i know we matter because of Muse we all love the band and because of that we are united :)

You may be gangster, prep, goth, emo, doesnt matter because we care about the same thing and THAT is what matters.

So to everyone on the forum THANK YOU because i want you to know YOU TOO just by taking part in loving this band saved my life take care everyone.

Thank you,

Mike Weishar

That is an Incredible story Mike. Invisible has also helped me with some of my struggles. I've had some nasty problems with OCD and there's something about that song that is so beautiful and powerful that can help you threw almost anything. Like you said I also believe music, especially bands like MUSE, can really pull people together. MUSE is incredible at writing songs that everyone can connect to

• 2 weeks later...

Invincible did a similar thing to me a few months ago.

My story (some of the "Oldies" know most of this story):

I split up with my husband in 2008. We had a 4 year old daughter and a 9 month old son together and we decided it would be easier for me to move out and have the kids live with me as he was working full time and was the main earner, he could afford his house on his own, but as a single parent, I would get government help and be able to work part-time and still have the kids living with me. We had been together for about 6 years and only married for just over 1 year, but we remained good friends. We both moved on and began new relationships, he was seeing a few different people, I began a relationship with a long-time friend at work (and am still with him).

About 6 months later, my (soon-to-be-ex) husband met a girl he liked, but she had serious jealousy issues and said she couldn't be with someone who was still in contact with their ex. He cut all contact with me, except anything to do with the kids. He would have them stay overnight every other weekend and he was paying child support regularly, so I just let him get on with it and hoped he would see the light.

A year and a half later, in November 2010 he came to collect the kids for a weekend, packed them in the car and then told me he was taking them to live with him. His girlfriend had quit her job to stay at home and look after the kids and there was nothing I could do about it. He is their father and is named on both of their birth certificates and therefore had equal legal parental responsibility. I have been working ever since then with solicitors and trying to get legal aid to get them back. My boyfriend and his mum have both been amazing, supporting me emotionally, physically and sometimes financially.

A few months ago, my boyfriend and I were playing Lips on the Xbox 360 and we were playing songs from my own music collection. Invincible came on and we both just looked at each other and sang:

"During the struggle

They will pull us down

But please, please

Let's use this chance

To turn things around

And tonight

We can truly say

Together we're invincible"

I think that moment I realised that though this is really hard for me, with his help, I can get through this.

I still see the kids and am still working through this, but the tables have turned and I have them every other weekend, plus every wednesday for dinner.

(PS, I don't want advice or anything, just wanted to share my story)

I choked up multipe times reading this thread. I just want to give all of you one giant hug :supersad:

Wow. This thread is amazing. All of you are amazing. Here is my story.

My step dad has been verbally abusing my mom, brother, two sisters and I for my whole life, which is 15 years. When my mom married him, he was prince charming, she said. After a year, he changed. Some people may say that verbal abuse isn't that big of a deal. I disagree. He has bruised my mother before and recently kicked my little brother. He throws things at my mom including a heavy tape measure that just missed her and broke her shower door. When my sister was five, he taped her to a chair because she didn't finish her dinner. My "father" hasn't talked to me in three years. He doesn't acknowledge that I exist, except for when he wants to yell at me. He gets mad when I sing or even when I talk around him. Nobody believes us. I don't blame them. Outside of the home, he is the nicest guy, so they say. When we try to tell them, they just say, "I just don't see him doing that!" I guess it makes sense. Out in public, he is happy and cheerful and we are sad, standoffish, and shy. He acts inappropriately towards other woman, which hurts my mom so very deeply, and yet gets furious when my mom talks to a young man who could be her son! My stress level is unhealthily high. I have trouble trusting anyone and have a intense fear of men. I cry almost every night, wishing I was never born. I've had suicidal thoughts that nobody knows about. I know it may seem easy just to leave him, but it isn't that simple. My mom would have to find a job and support four kids. My mom has been subjected to abuse her whole life. Even as a kid. But it is all my fault. If only I wasn't so stupid, annoying, bratty, then maybe he wouldn't hurt us anymore. I hate the feeling, when he walks into the room, I get scared. I can feel his hatred towards me. Anyways, enough with my stupid self-pitying. Muse had served as my escape. A world where he doesn't exist. It's all mine. The music takes me away and helps me cope. It gets me through. Not to mention Matt's dashingly good looks which helps me take my mind off whatever is happening in the real world. So thank you Muse for being there for me and thank you Musers for listening to me.

I've been there. This is so similar to what three years of my life was like it's not even funny. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm just a message away. I know it's hard and you will get crazy thoughts, and that's where Muse can help you. But I would also love to help in any way possible.

I choked up multipe times reading this thread. I just want to give all of you one giant hug :supersad:

I've been there. This is so similar to what three years of my life was like it's not even funny. If you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm just a message away. I know it's hard and you will get crazy thoughts, and that's where Muse can help you. But I would also love to help in any way possible.

Thanks for your nice reply. :happy: I'm sorry that you had to deal with something similar. Muse has helped tons.

Invincible did a similar thing to me a few months ago.

My story (some of the "Oldies" know most of this story):

I split up with my husband in 2008. We had a 4 year old daughter and a 9 month old son together and we decided it would be easier for me to move out and have the kids live with me as he was working full time and was the main earner, he could afford his house on his own, but as a single parent, I would get government help and be able to work part-time and still have the kids living with me. We had been together for about 6 years and only married for just over 1 year, but we remained good friends. We both moved on and began new relationships, he was seeing a few different people, I began a relationship with a long-time friend at work (and am still with him).

About 6 months later, my (soon-to-be-ex) husband met a girl he liked, but she had serious jealousy issues and said she couldn't be with someone who was still in contact with their ex. He cut all contact with me, except anything to do with the kids. He would have them stay overnight every other weekend and he was paying child support regularly, so I just let him get on with it and hoped he would see the light.

A year and a half later, in November 2010 he came to collect the kids for a weekend, packed them in the car and then told me he was taking them to live with him. His girlfriend had quit her job to stay at home and look after the kids and there was nothing I could do about it. He is their father and is named on both of their birth certificates and therefore had equal legal parental responsibility. I have been working ever since then with solicitors and trying to get legal aid to get them back. My boyfriend and his mum have both been amazing, supporting me emotionally, physically and sometimes financially.

A few months ago, my boyfriend and I were playing Lips on the Xbox 360 and we were playing songs from my own music collection. Invincible came on and we both just looked at each other and sang:

"During the struggle

They will pull us down

But please, please

Let's use this chance

To turn things around

And tonight

We can truly say

Together we're invincible"

I think that moment I realised that though this is really hard for me, with his help, I can get through this.

I still see the kids and am still working through this, but the tables have turned and I have them every other weekend, plus every wednesday for dinner.

(PS, I don't want advice or anything, just wanted to share my story)

This is awful. I knew bits of what went on but not the whole story. I have two children myself and I can't imagine how someone taking them away from me must feel.

Best of luck and I hope you get them back sooner rather than later.

Hugs for everyone!! :supersad:

I'm so young, so life hadn't shown me it dark moments so much. But Muse's music is always there for me, when I feel down, or bad, it gives me strenght to keep living as I am, and as I want to be.

Last summer, it was some of worst of my life. I live 30 kilometers away from centre and all my friends, I had massive fights with my parents and I felt so lonely and so depressed. But every time when it felt, that life itself was against me, I put The Resistance in the CD player (only album I had back then :p) and felt that my worrys was take away from my shoulders.

Muse's gig in Kaisaniemi was amazing and livechanging to me, eventhought "I didn't deserve it" like my parents said. They really didin't notice how bad I felt.

Sometimes I thought ending my life, but that was too big thing to think, and I didn't want to follow my mom, who killed herself (not entirely at purpose, but still) when I was three. And I cried, and I drowned everything bad to music, and felt like Muse was spporting me, holding me up when I felt down :)

I secretly whispered lyrics of Uprising when they tried to push me down, and lonely moments I gave my fate to that, that I someday will be Invincible with someone :p Now I'm more mature and more stronger, and it's all 'cause of Muse. :happy: Love them of that!

Archived