I think Matt's old TR tone worked a lot better with the punchy stuff like Stockholm, US, Butterflies and Hyper Music. The glitchy fuzz-scape he uses now works better for stuff like Supermassive, Dead Inside, Revolt and Madness. I think the T2L Tour had the best combo of the two, now he just kinda fuzzes out everything.

So, basically, the trade-off is that the thin stuff sounds thicker and less tinny but the beefy stuff sounds a bit muddy.

Maybe - I do think the tone for Plug in Baby is too FX-pedal soaked on the Drones tour. But then I've liked the tones for Reapers on this tour, and the version of Stockholm at Glasto was pretty decent... hmmmmm. Maybe its all a song-by-song thing.

Why he stopped doing the Supermassive screams so quickly will forever be one of my saddest Muse mysteries :(

Maybe he felt silly or sutin?

He wanted to focus on the guitar parts instead.

Oh wait, he just fucked about on the kaoss pad instead.

Part of the reason I find SMBH a bit dull these days is due to him barely doing any improvisation these days. He used to vary the guitar part up a fair bit on the BHaR and TR tour but it's pretty routine now, 'safe' for lack of a better word.

That Hovet whammy solo was cool, hadn't seen that before.

As far as I recall he did something like that whammy solo for SMBH at the O2 show I saw in 2010. Something different to the Kaoss squawk is probably due now though.

Actually Matt has said that he needs to do more with the Kaoss pads than that and the bit during Unsustainable. Hopefully next album has something like that.

Actually Matt has said that he needs to do more with the Kaoss pads than that and the bit during Unsustainable. Hopefully next album has something like that.

This. The possibilities of creating new sounds with a KP integrated into an electric guitar are limitless. He could obtain very crazy stuff from that and begin to experiment for real (although not taking it too far, I suppose). :)

This. The possibilities of creating new sounds with a KP integrated into an electric guitar are limitless. He could obtain very crazy stuff from that and begin to experiment for real (although not taking it too far, I suppose). :)

Well, if they do move in a more electronic direction, you'd like to think there could be a role for the Kaoss. Even if Matt has stripped down the electronic stuff to his guitars of late.

Well, if they do move in a more electronic direction, you'd like to think there could be a role for the Kaoss. Even if Matt has stripped down the electronic stuff to his guitars of late.

He could always go back to use all of his old KP guitars that he has unexplainably retired in these years (the ones that aren't broken, I mean...). He could always ask Manson to "regenerate" them without purchasing tons of new ones...

Oh, wait...

He could always go back to use all of his old KP guitars that he has unexplainably retired in these years (the ones that aren't broken, I mean...). He could always ask Manson to "regenerate" them without purchasing tons of new ones...

Oh, wait...

I thought Matt now had his guitars subject to weight limits, hence why a load of old ones are now somewhere gathering dust. Probably. I wouldn't know where to store a shitload of fancy guitars tbh.

Whilst writing a review for Drones, I realised I do have a couple of controversial Muse opinions.

1. The Globalist is one of the worst songs Muse have ever done.

2. Undisclosed Desires is Muse's 2nd best pop song after SMBH.

I would rate the following:

SMBH > UD > Dead Inside > Madness > Starlight > Mercy > Follow Me > Revolt

He's never really used the pad to its potential

Hardly controversial!

He hasn't, but then you need to be hands-on with KP's to get the best out of them, which with guitars generally taking both hands to play makes it quite difficult to really push it beyond gimmick.

I do wonder how much higher The Globalist would be generally rated if it'd come before stuff like Eurasia and Explorers (or, preferably, if they'd never existed :awesome:). Obvs the disjointedness and the shortness of the mid-section would still be there but the 'been there, done that' feel of the piano section seems to be one of the biggest detractors.

As it is though, I think it's rated pretty fairly.

I do wonder how much higher The Globalist would be generally rated if it'd come before stuff like Eurasia and Explorers (or, preferably, if they'd never existed :awesome:). Obvs the disjointedness and the shortness of the mid-section would still be there but the 'been there, done that' feel of the piano section seems to be one of the biggest detractors.

As it is though, I think it's rated pretty fairly.

I like Eurasia and (albeit to a lesser extent) Explorers. :phu:

I don't think it helps its basically Elgar's Nimrod with bass, drums and lyrics about the destruction of the world. Maybe if it was a slightly more original composition than the prog-rock equivalent of sampling, it might help.

• 1 month later...

I honestly think, without actually have experienced it, that invincible is one of their strongest live songs. Probably THE strongest out of the slower songs. Or wait no that would be Sing For Absolution, but still. Never understood why people found it boring.