I didn't even initially see the second one. Apocalypse Please was about someone being happy the world is going to end, but then again that's assuming Matt remembers what he's said any of his songs are about, I suppose...

His latter statement's still pretty naïve, though.

I'm not sure the character's point of view in Apocalypse Please is a happy one. I think its from the POV of someone desperate and fearful calling on something to wipe the slate clean.

Although tbf there are people out there who relish the thought of the end of the world as an excuse to test out their doomsday prepping equipment and survival skills. Which some may also accuse Matt of given how much he's spoken about having supplies for it over the years.

Matt has always struck me as the kind of person who would like to see it all go to hell just to see if something better happens afterwards. And who has enough money and security to not have to worry about it. Or at least he thought it would cool to come across that way. Although I do recall something about him having a doomsday stockpile and a crossbow, and a past girlfriend threatening to commit him.

And that he still has the survival kit, which was mostly just an axe and trashbags.

But hey, there's crazier things. Like some Christians who don't believe we should have to take care of the planet or worry about climate change, because God gave us dominion over it, and He wouldn't let us fuck it up so bad we die.

Yes - I seem to recall reading something in Q magazine when The Resistance came that his then-girlfriend blocked an attempt to buy a crossbow, to go with the tinned food supply and axe to chop firewood. Freeze dried meals in case of long-term periods without food supply have also been mentioned in other articles in pieces. Plus there was that Russian interview in the summer mentioning it a bit more too. But then doomsday prepping is hardly unique to Muse.

Also, yeah, that's a pretty fucking weird philosophy.

• 3 weeks later...
Starlight, Soldier's Poem, Invincible, Exo-Politics, the neutered version of Assassin and Knights Of Cydonia say otherwise.

I think that's a little harsh on Assassin and KoC.

Assassin is only a dissapointment becuase we know what could have been, but it's still one of the better tracks on the album.

KoC is a great song, but I agree that on the album it has terrible production.

Agree on the first 4 though, they are all a big step down in quality from Absolution standards. Maybe SP could have been a b-side and the others ditched.

I love Assassin to bits, but I think Debase's intro with the ghost notes (800000800000XXXXXX kind of thing), drums and verses are better. I'm starting to think that the bridge makes more sense at the end of the song, like they usually play it live.

When if ever will we see a Muse and Radiohead supergroup.. that would blow so many minds away, not least those of Matt and Thom.

Well the answer to when is obviously never.

And if they did...we'll have you listened to their output in the last 10 years? They probably wouldn't even be able to finish an album without breaking up.

Agreed. I don't think there's a bad song on Abso either.

Not that many great songs on it either tho.

Survival does the job well enough imo.

^^^ That's a little more understandable like, considering Matt used to sound like he was having 4 asthma attacks by the end of it on a good day.

I think they've pretty much settled on Knights now though, sadly. Doubt we'll ever see another song even rotated in for any substantial amount of time.

They probably wouldn't even be able to finish an album without breaking up.

Let's be honest, there'd be at least one murder.

We've all seen how much Matt annoys his best friends in confined spaces, let alone Thom Yorke.

Edited by Jobby

Well the answer to when is obviously never.

And if they did...we'll have you listened to their output in the last 10 years? They probably wouldn't even be able to finish an album without breaking up.

It wouldn't be the craziest of collaborations.. perhaps someday, probably never yes.

granted that there would be alpha male syndrome and it would probably take a decade to pump out an album if they don't give up or kill each other over whose falsetto is best.

Not that many great songs on it either tho.

The only songs I wouldn't call great are TSP (still a beast live), Toada and mayyybe FD (but I really really like it).

^^^ That's a little more understandable like, considering Matt used to sound like he was having 4 asthma attacks by the end of it on a good day.

True, it was always a bit of a mess both vocally and instrumentally, but damn, that 16\4444 riff is huge.