Muse and Foo Fighters share many fans

The Small Print is such a rip-off of Everlong guys

Maybe they do, but people aren't comparing them, people are comparing Muse with Radiohead. Even if it doesn't make sense to you, it obviously does to others.

Btw, you are neither being funny or smart, so just cut the sarcasm will you?

Muse and Foo Fighters share many fans

The Small Print is such a rip-off of Everlong guys

I think its fairly obvious why we compare Radiohead and Muse.... even if you ARE being sarcastic, its not funny. If you cant tell if its sarcasm or not, its sure as hell not working.

I notice a lot of Muse fans are also Franz Ferdinand fans so I dunno wtf that says :LOL:

(Personally I feel it just means a lot of people like fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously...)

Seeing as Radiohead came first, if anyone must use the "X is a shit version of Y" that'd make Muse the poor man's Radiohead but I HATE that argument because they're two different bands famous for different reasons. Muse did have a Radiohead-lite sound in the early part of their career but I always thought that was down to the choice of producer/them not quite knowing their own sound yet and also journalists are lazy and can't think of any other ways to describe a new band.

I notice a lot of Muse fans are also Franz Ferdinand fans so I dunno wtf that says :LOL:

(Personally I feel it just means a lot of people like fun music that doesn't take itself too seriously...)

Seeing as Radiohead came first, if anyone must use the "X is a shit version of Y" that'd make Muse the poor man's Radiohead but I HATE that argument because they're two different bands famous for different reasons. Muse did have a Radiohead-lite sound in the early part of their career but I always thought that was down to the choice of producer/them not quite knowing their own sound yet and also journalists are lazy and can't think of any other ways to describe a new band.

My theory is:

Showbiz sounds a bit like The Bends and Pablo Honey in places, so comparisons began to be drawn. Then Muse released Origin and Radiohead went all computer-y with Kid A and Amnesiac, and both bands had different sounds even by this point, yet both still had relatively large fanbases compared to the media exposure/promotion they were getting, so lazy journalists continued to say 'well Muse are kinda big, and no one really talks about them, and Radiohead are huge and only a few people talk about them, so they must still sound the same'

This was how it was until 2006, and then Muse got really huge and everyone was talking about them, and their popular songs really sound nothing like Radiohead at all so it's all really not that important.

Aye I agree with that. Just didn't want to come out with it and say Showbiz DOES have an obvious Radiohead influence cos everytime I have done some wankspider comes along and calls into question my Muse fan credentials.

Part of the reason I got Showbiz in 1999/2000 was cos I liked that the singing style was similar to Radiohead :LOL: Even though it's a lazy comparison it did no harm in getting people like me on board the Muse train.

Don't you see it?! There are many more heavy riffs now! Also there are less commercial songs and no cheesy lyrics to be seen! Guiding Light is the best song they have ever done! It is musically complex and simply a fantastic song to jump around to.

In Manchester after Neutron Star Collision Riff + Guiding Light I'm surprised they carried on at all, I mean they were never going to top that.

Don't you see it?! There are many more heavy riffs now! Also there are less commercial songs and no cheesy lyrics to be seen! Guiding Light is the best song they have ever done! It is musically complex and simply a fantastic song to jump around to.

so you wanna talk "cheesy" now? i see.

k here it is, i think that Bliss "which i find highly overrated on this forum" is just as "cheesy".

so are Unintended, Endlessly, and Falling Away With You. just to name a few.

so this whole "muse are cheesy now" thingy is not new, really.

Aye I agree with that. Just didn't want to come out with it and say Showbiz DOES have an obvious Radiohead influence cos everytime I have done some wankspider comes along and calls into question my Muse fan credentials.

Part of the reason I got Showbiz in 1999/2000 was cos I liked that the singing style was similar to Radiohead :LOL: Even though it's a lazy comparison it did no harm in getting people like me on board the Muse train.

They were always going to have a little bit of a similar sound, seeing as John Leckie did both Showbiz and The Bends.

But beyond those specific albums there's hardly any comparison at all. Personally I think Muse are far more in-your-face than Radiohead ever were, and that Radiohead are far more intricate and (in my own opinion) much more intelligently constructed. That's not comparing, that's me showing the contrasts.

They're different, and I like them both for different reasons. Well, in Muse's case, I don't really like them after the last couple of albums which have been quite boring to me.

Tbh I've never heard the Radiohead/Muse similarity. I only became aware of the constant comparisons after I joined this board. I know some of my friends and family think that they sound alike sometimes. For example my mam thought Muse sang Paranoid Android when it came on the radio one day and a friend thought 'Hearing Damage' was the Muse song in New Moon.

Tbh I've never heard the Radiohead/Muse similarity. I only became aware of the constant comparisons after I joined this board. I know some of my friends and family think that they sound alike sometimes. For example my mam thought Muse sang Paranoid Android when it came on the radio one day and a friend thought 'Hearing Damage' was the Muse song in New Moon.

I remember my sis walking into my bedroom in the summer of 2000 and saying "this sounds like Radiohead" to Uno of all things :LOL:

I nearly fell off the bed...because she was in her commercial RnB (like Dru Hill and Destiny's Child) phase so I didn't know she even knew who Radiohead were!