Record Store Day 2010

KirkBot

Sooo, I asked this a while back, but it got flooded or something lol.

Someone had mentioned that the digital turntables (the usb connection or something... i don't know) was bad and damaging to the vinyls... is this true? if it is... how exactly? and how badly can it damage it if so?

This is only from bits I've read - no personal experience. What I do know for sure is that a cheap USB turntable with a ceramic cartridge even if it does not damage the vinyl will not sound good.

If you have very little vinyl then just get a USB turntable but avoid a ceramic cartridge.

A terrible way for your first listen to vinyl is via a USB turntable (not including in a night club when it’s cranked up and you maybe full of booze). The USB T brings out all the problems of vinyl and very little of the good points. Your going to get a lot of pops and clicks, surface noise and rumble (you don’t get this on a good turntable), you will get software to clean the recording up – but here you will loose some good stuff as well as the bad. With a USB T most are going to digitise to mp3 and listen on a computer – the best bit about vinyl should be no digitisation at the play back stage. It’s the converting to digital in which information is lost - the cheaper the set-up the worse the conversion. Certainly if you have a good turntable and a good Analogue to Digital converter then the digital version may sound good (don’t ripp to mp3) but your not getting that with a USB T.

If you use a USB T and ripp to mp3 the result will be worse than just downloading the mp3 from itunes (or elsewhere). The only exception is on a few vinyl albums the album has been re-mastered for the vinyl with less loudness and more dynamics. They could have done the same for the CD but with the loudness war ruining good recordings that’s not going to happen. Note: all vinyl albums have an equalization curve applied but this is different to a complete re-master in relation to the digital versions being wrecked by loudness.

http://www.knowzy.com/usb-turntable-comparison.htm#LP2CDAvoidCeramicCarts

What is wrong with ceramic cartridges?

Ceramic cartridges found in USB turntables have two basic problems: Increased distortion and accellerated record wear.

http://www.cheapism.com/cheap-turntables

According to the experts at Knowzy.com, anti-skate prevents records from being damaged and worn down

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=78040

Exaggerated results if the stylus is bent.

Don't you already have a couple of copies? Why are you buying up more?

i have one for myself to open / listen. i attempted to buy another one, to remain sealed, for my collection purposes. i got lucky by having an order filled for the second one.

however, i placed multiple orders at various stores in hopes of merely getting at least ONE for my collection. i was shut out at almost all stores. ...except for a couple.

yeah...vintage vinyl sent me a final e-mail...saying that my order would be shipped on monday w/ 2-day delivery.

they also said i was the LAST person in the queue list to actually get one of their 18 copies. wow.

i placed my order on sunday morning. didn't quite a few of you on here do so, as well...?

yeah...vintage vinyl sent me a final e-mail...saying that my order would be shipped on monday w/ 2-day delivery.

they also said i was the LAST person in the queue list to actually get one of their 18 copies. wow.

i placed my order on sunday morning. didn't quite a few of you on here do so, as well...?

I placed my order Sunday afternoon... Damnit.

This is only from bits I've read - no personal experience. What I do know for sure is that a cheap USB turntable with a ceramic cartridge even if it does not damage the vinyl will not sound good.

If you have very little vinyl then just get a USB turntable but avoid a ceramic cartridge.

A terrible way for your first listen to vinyl is via a USB turntable (not including in a night club when it’s cranked up and you maybe full of booze). The USB T brings out all the problems of vinyl and very little of the good points. Your going to get a lot of pops and clicks, surface noise and rumble (you don’t get this on a good turntable), you will get software to clean the recording up – but here you will loose some good stuff as well as the bad. With a USB T most are going to digitise to mp3 and listen on a computer – the best bit about vinyl should be no digitisation at the play back stage. It’s the converting to digital in which information is lost - the cheaper the set-up the worse the conversion. Certainly if you have a good turntable and a good Analogue to Digital converter then the digital version may sound good (don’t ripp to mp3) but your not getting that with a USB T.

If you use a USB T and ripp to mp3 the result will be worse than just downloading the mp3 from itunes (or elsewhere). The only exception is on a few vinyl albums the album has been re-mastered for the vinyl with less loudness and more dynamics. They could have done the same for the CD but with the loudness war ruining good recordings that’s not going to happen. Note: all vinyl albums have an equalization curve applied but this is different to a complete re-master in relation to the digital versions being wrecked by loudness.

http://www.knowzy.com/usb-turntable-comparison.htm#LP2CDAvoidCeramicCarts

What is wrong with ceramic cartridges?

Ceramic cartridges found in USB turntables have two basic problems: Increased distortion and accellerated record wear.

http://www.cheapism.com/cheap-turntables

According to the experts at Knowzy.com, anti-skate prevents records from being damaged and worn down

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=78040

Exaggerated results if the stylus is bent.

Thanks so much, this helps a whole lot! :). I appreciate all the explanation!!!

So don't hate me, but I came across 3 of these in 3 different stores. 1 I got on Record Store Day, 2 I found in stores this past week. All 3 for $10 each.

I framed one, gave one to my brother, and now I have an extra one.

I would be more than willing to trade someone for a Resistance 7" picture disc if anyone is interested.

So don't hate me, but I came across 3 of these in 3 different stores. 1 I got on Record Store Day, 2 I found in stores this past week. All 3 for $10 each.

I framed one, gave one to my brother, and now I have an extra one.

I would be more than willing to trade someone for a Resistance 7" picture disc if anyone is interested.

I don't have anything to trade you, but I would love to buy it from you if no one wants to trade. The store I ordered from online cancelled my order without so much as an email letting me know. :(

Did you order via the Muse shop or from an American source?

I should have put - an American source.

Was lucky to have some help from a board member. I was not expecting the record so soon. It was much quicker delivery than my normal amazon US deliveries - but then again I always go for the cheap option and this time my postage was expensive!

I should have put - an American source.

Was lucky to have some help from a board member. I was not expecting the record so soon. It was much quicker delivery than my normal amazon US deliveries - but then again I always go for the cheap option and this time my postage was expensive!

Yes, I ordered via Electric Fetus, as suggested by someone here. They say it was despatched a week ago. Anyone else order through them?

In response to the USB turntable post. Would these flaws apply if I were to hook it up to a home system? I've found an Ion Profile at a good price, and while I'm still trying to find out if it has a ceramic cartridge, I know it can be hooked up to a stereo player to go through that. I was going to go for a Pro-ject debut, but with having just eBay'ed MUSE at Stade de France tickets, I'm short on cash, so an Ion at £40 seems like the best I can afford.

Yeah, it would still apply. But honestly, even systems that audiophiles deject as "bad" are still better than compressed digital files. Clean your records and your needles frequently, but realize these aren't CD's, and they're not harmless lasers scanning the disc (though I did see a laser based turntable from Japan for about $10,000). It's inevitable that after repeated use, any player will damage a record.

I have a Sony PS-LX300USB; I think it sounds great and have had only very few problems with it. Despite that, I am looking to upgrade to a Technics SL-1200M3D at some point. Just interviewed for a promotion at work so if I start making more money, I might finally get around to it.

In response to the USB turntable post. Would these flaws apply if I were to hook it up to a home system? I've found an Ion Profile at a good price, and while I'm still trying to find out if it has a ceramic cartridge, I know it can be hooked up to a stereo player to go through that. I was going to go for a Pro-ject debut, but with having just eBay'ed MUSE at Stade de France tickets, I'm short on cash, so an Ion at £40 seems like the best I can afford.

I know what's it like recently with money & Muse tickets, flights, hotels, beer, wine etc :)

Your only going to get what you pay for and at the bottom end it's probably more important to be more careful. With a quick google on the Ion Profile it looks like it has a Magnetic cartridge (you will need to check your model) which is good. The flaws I mentioned apply regardless to whatever it is connected, i.e. if it’s connected to a good HiFi or a PC. At that sort of price it will sound a bit noisy with maybe a bit of rumble. Unless you can pick up a good second hand one you don’t have much choice.

As long as you don’t damage your vinyl (ceramic cartridge) you can always up-grade the turntable at a later stage. I would usually recommend listening to a piece of HiFi equipment first (it’s amazing how many people now don’t). At that price if you don’t like it maybe you can just sell it on without losing much.

Looks like you have your priorities right – worry about a turntable after the Muse gigs – at some point they will take a break, you can save then.

This isn't the case at all. Vinyl actually "loses" more than digital formats do, except mp3 and other forms of file compression, but if you use a sample rate of 24bit/96kHz, the amount of headroom available is larger than human hearing :)

Archived