Record Store Day 2010

KirkBot

k. i'm done. one copy for myself to open/listen. one for collection purposes. have one extra.

will sell to a member on the boards for list + shipping. i'm going to have to devise a way to pick a winner. i am NOT selling my extra on ebay. i will come up with a fair lottery within the next 12 hours.

to get a proper count of 'demand', so to speak, PM me w/ 'sisenegoxe' in the subject line within the next 24 hours of this post. nothing less, nothing more. by then, i will have come up with a fair way to determine who's going to get it.

at this point, i'm thinking of a riddle...with the correct answer being given to a 3d party member on the boards, who will then verify the first correct answer. but this plan may change in the next half day. i'm investing no more time in this sortie than what is requisite to properly exercise the plan above. this mofo is going quickly.

PLEASE NOTE: i'm a law student w/ exams. actual shipment MAY NOT OCCUR until april 28th. but, it could very well ship within the next 24-48 hours if i can find the time. but, no guarantees.

oh, and i'm going to automatically discard any PMs from accounts created within the last 24 hours.

on another note, feel free to PM me with suggestions as to how i should conduct this lottery. if you wan't to chastise me, feel free to do it on the boards. but, be reminded that i'm hardly the generic eBay touter...

cheers.

I have the best record store in town, dude. XD. i had a concert i couldn't get out of and because i kept asking and asking and have muse attack on my picture, name, and page, they held it for me til i could come in around noon. also, went back later and bought a bunch of stuff!! i officially love record store day. :). and my record store. <333.

oh, and - usb turntables damage vinyls?! how? :(. (i don't have one - but i'm looking into which kind of turntable to buy.

Hey all,

I managed to snag a copy of the Exo 12" yesterday. That makes my third copy (don't hate, I'm actually giving 2 of my copies to a couple of unsuspecting Muser's mmmmkay?). Anywho, the store I went to yesterday in Oklahoma City had 7-8 copies. Strangely, the place was absolutely packed and hardly anyone was buying them. I know there were at least 5 on the shelf when I left. I'd wager that they are most likely gone by now though.

I primarily went up to get REM's Chronic Town EP (numbered limited ed. 2000, on blue vinyl) and managed to luck out BIGTIME and get the only copy the store received. I also came home with the Beastie Boys secret surprise white label 12", but I haven't opened it and still have no idea what's on it.. :)

Anyway, after knowing that .mu got 500 of Exo and some went to Coachella, and there were so many at the store I went to, I can't help but wonder if this really as limited as we've been told. If you really want it, my advice is to get it asap before you see many of them snatched up off evilbay. It's heartbreaking to see the prices most are asking for already knowing that I gave a whole $10 for my copy. I hope some of those sellers enjoy their stay in hell for ripping people off. :)

On another note, some of you were discussing the Pro-ject Debut III. I can highly recommend it! Great turntable for the price. If you're in need of a pre-amp, don't skimp! Try to put your hard earned cash to a good one like the Bellari VP130 (about $250). That's my setup running through an ancient Pioneer vsx-d608 receiver and Cerwin Vega LS-15's. Not the greatest in the world, but it sounds pretty darn good imho. Hearing vinyl again reminds you just how much all those mp3s you've downloaded over the years sound like shit. My *only* complaint with the Debut III is that nothing is automatic on it (nope, when the arm reaches the end and the record, you have to lift it yourself...it won't lift and turn itself off) and the on/off toggle is underneath the table. Other than that, it's a steller turntable. I love it.

Hey all,

I managed to snag a copy of the Exo 12" yesterday. That makes my third copy (don't hate, I'm actually giving 2 of my copies to a couple of unsuspecting Muser's mmmmkay?). Anywho, the store I went to yesterday in Oklahoma City had 7-8 copies. Strangely, the place was absolutely packed and hardly anyone was buying them. I know there were at least 5 on the shelf when I left. I'd wager that they are most likely gone by now though.

I primarily went up to get REM's Chronic Town EP (numbered limited ed. 2000, on blue vinyl) and managed to luck out BIGTIME and get the only copy the store received. I also came home with the Beastie Boys secret surprise white label 12", but I haven't opened it and still have no idea what's on it.. :)

Anyway, after knowing that .mu got 500 of Exo and some went to Coachella, and there were so many at the store I went to, I can't help but wonder if this really as limited as we've been told. If you really want it, my advice is to get it asap before you see many of them snatched up off evilbay. It's heartbreaking to see the prices most are asking for already knowing that I gave a whole $10 for my copy. I hope some of those sellers enjoy their stay in hell for ripping people off. :)

On another note, some of you were discussing the Pro-ject Debut III. I can highly recommend it! Great turntable for the price. If you're in need of a pre-amp, don't skimp! Try to put your hard earned cash to a good one like the Bellari VP130 (about $250). That's my setup running through an ancient Pioneer vsx-d608 receiver and Cerwin Vega LS-15's. Not the greatest in the world, but it sounds pretty darn good imho. Hearing vinyl again reminds you just how much all those mp3s you've downloaded over the years sound like shit. My *only* complaint with the Debut III is that nothing is automatic on it (nope, when the arm reaches the end and the record, you have to lift it yourself...it won't lift and turn itself off) and the on/off toggle is underneath the table. Other than that, it's a steller turntable. I love it.

Just googled your speakers. They look MASSIVE. I think I am going to go for a Pro-ject Debut III... just need to get the money. I'm using an old Sony reciever that I suspect was made back in the 70'/80's, and using the Sony speakers that are with it. Should I spend a good bit of money on that before a turntable, or is the turntable the main part. I don't think I need a pre-amp as the receiver has one built in. I'm very uneducated in this stuff. I spent a good £200 on vinyls before I actually thought it might be worth playing them on something decent.

Yeah, I wonder as well how "limited" this release is when this place:

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/muse-exogenesis-symphony/517

seems to have an unlimited supply....:indiff:

Just makes me feel like I maybe I made too much effort to get it, thinking it was in limited supply, as I spent the better part of yesterday walking around to various stores in San Francisco and ending up at Amoeba finally and getting two copies, but maybe all that effort was unnecessary as we come to find out it's available at the normal price online......oh well...:rolleyes:

Just makes me feel like I maybe I made too much effort to get it, thinking it was in limited supply, as I spent the better part of yesterday walking around to various stores in San Francisco and ending up at Amoeba finally and getting two copies, but maybe all that effort was unnecessary as we come to find out it's available at the normal price online......oh well...:rolleyes:

They definitely don't have a limited supply. I bet we'll all get emails saying, "sorry, out of stock" tomorrow. It says when you order it that RSD stuff is first come, first serve and they'll get back to you if they don't actually have it, so. Yeah, worth a shot, though. And they had the Hysteria single, so definitely worth it!

They definitely don't have a limited supply. I bet we'll all get emails saying, "sorry, out of stock" tomorrow. It says when you order it that RSD stuff is first come, first serve and they'll get back to you if they don't actually have it, so. Yeah, worth a shot, though. And they had the Hysteria single, so definitely worth it!

Ah, I see... I hope you get your copy! :)

I wasn't begrudging anyone getting copies at that place either, mind, I was just saying that had I known, I would have saved myself hours of walking around and ordered one online myself! ;)

Ah, I see... I hope you get your copy! :)

I wasn't begrudging anyone getting copies at that place either, mind, I was just saying that had I known, I would have saved myself hours of walking around and ordered one online myself! ;)

It's ok if I don't because I got a copy yesterday, but I'm trying to get one for a friend. :D In other news, while searching legit record shops for a copy, I came across the Muse EP for $20. :eek: Let's hope they don't email me saying they don't actually have it! Weird though, as it was called Muse(DVD), but it had the EP cover and the description was of the EP, so.... let's hope I'm really that lucky! :p

EDIT: Just released the release date says May 4... did I just order the new tour DVD or something? ...

Just googled your speakers. They look MASSIVE. I think I am going to go for a Pro-ject Debut III... just need to get the money. I'm using an old Sony reciever that I suspect was made back in the 70'/80's, and using the Sony speakers that are with it. Should I spend a good bit of money on that before a turntable, or is the turntable the main part. I don't think I need a pre-amp as the receiver has one built in. I'm very uneducated in this stuff. I spent a good £200 on vinyls before I actually thought it might be worth playing them on something decent.

I think you'll like the Debut III. I just remembered that there are some youtube vids featuring it worth checking out...

Supermassive Black Hole on a Debut III...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMSKfGltxrE

And how to set it up. Bookmark this! It's very handy as the manual is crap...

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the turntable first since you've got some money in some vinyl. Hook it up to your Sony equipment and see how it sounds. At least you'll be able to play your records and you'll find out real quick if your existing equipment is up to the job. If not, upgrade accordingly. Good luck!

LOL! And yes, the Cerwin's are massive. Supermassive even! :LOL:

At least you got it and you even got it at Amoeba of all places! I was getting tweets yesterday of people being camped out there at 4am! Crazy!

But yes, it would be interesting to know just how many copies really exist. Seeing that it's not numbered doesn't really help matters much. They said what...2000...but really? How do we know that Warners didn't create some artificial hysteria (pun!) just to drive some business and get people into the stores? Hmmmm...

At least you got it and you even got it at Amoeba of all places! I was getting tweets yesterday of people being camped out there at 4am! Crazy!

But yes, it would be interesting to know just how many copies really exist. Seeing that it's not numbered doesn't really help matters much. They said what...2000...but really? How do we know that Warners didn't create some artificial hysteria (pun!) just to drive some business and get people into the stores? Hmmmm...

Yeah, I'm not sure if I trust the numbers. There were supposed to only be 5000 of the John Lennon but I just looked and my copy is out of 7000. :noey: Liars.

Really? :stunned: I went in there at 3pm and there were still tons of copies left, no waiting, but it was only one per customer, so that's probably why they still had any left.. ;) The friend I was with, who's not a Muser, got me my second copy.. ;)

I think you'll like the Debut III. I just remembered that there are some youtube vids featuring it worth checking out...

Supermassive Black Hole on a Debut III...:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMSKfGltxrE

And how to set it up. Bookmark this! It's very handy as the manual is crap...

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the turntable first since you've got some money in some vinyl. Hook it up to your Sony equipment and see how it sounds. At least you'll be able to play your records and you'll find out real quick if your existing equipment is up to the job. If not, upgrade accordingly. Good luck!

LOL! And yes, the Cerwin's are massive. Supermassive even! :LOL:

The guitar just pure roars on that link! :stunned: Convinced completely. Was it you who made that video?

If my sony reciever has a phono pre-amp built in, which I'm sure it does, would I even need to think about buying a pre-amp?

And if it is sounding slightly down to scratch, how do I tell if it's the speakers or the reciever thats being rubbish?

Archived