Record Store Day 2010

KirkBot

Yeah, it would still apply. But honestly, even systems that audiophiles deject as "bad" are still better than compressed digital files. Clean your records and your needles frequently, but realize these aren't CD's, and they're not harmless lasers scanning the disc (though I did see a laser based turntable from Japan for about $10,000). It's inevitable that after repeated use, any player will damage a record.

I have a Sony PS-LX300USB; I think it sounds great and have had only very few problems with it. Despite that, I am looking to upgrade to a Technics SL-1200M3D at some point. Just interviewed for a promotion at work so if I start making more money, I might finally get around to it.

I have a Kenwood turntable in the roof space which I used from 1990 to 98. The turntable on that system didn’t sound as good as the CD player. The turntable part cost around £100 and the CD player was about £20 more. The turntable sounded cheap & plasticity but still way better than what most of my friends had (I stopped lending out vinyl records – don’t learn that one the hard way). The turntable still sounded more natural and open than the CD but it also sounded tinny, hollow and lacked punch. When I change my system in 98 I got a Rega Planar 3 – the difference was outstanding. Vinyl that previously sounded poor was brought back to life. This turntable sounded better than a CD player at twice the price.

If a good turntable & cartridge is set-up correctly it should not damage the vinyl: I think they mention it somewhere in this Deep Listening: Why Audio Quality Matters:

of course there has to be some wear & tear – there is friction but I have never wore a record out (not on my good system – yes on my very 1st turntable and the needle was built like a knitting needle)

from personal experience - handle your vinyl carefully. To clean vinyl I use a carbon fibber vinyl record cleaning brush and that’s only when there is a build up of dust. Years ago I would use record cleaning solution – you shouldn’t have too if you are carefull. Maybe if you buy second-hand records then they will need cleaned. Check this out (but remember sometimes they are only trying to sell you something you don’t need) http://www.discomusic.com/101-more/6193_0_7_0_C/

Vinyl actually "loses" more than digital formats do, except mp3 and other forms of file compression, but if you use a sample rate of 24bit/96kHz, the amount of headroom available is larger than human hearing :)

I agree :stunned:

it's also much worse to convert from vinyl to digital.

Don't forget that digital only sounds as good as the system it's played on and a lot of set-ups sound "digital".

It isn't at all.

So you think it's a good idea to convert vinyl to digital. Even though to get the recording on to vinyl, the recording has had an equalization curve applied (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization). Then you pop the vinyl onto a USB turntable (maybe worth £80 with a cartridge not good enough to use in a night club) and ripp it to a PC (all be it some lossless format, maybe FLAC).

Why not just buy the CD?

So you think it's a good idea to convert vinyl to digital. Even though to get the recording on to vinyl, the recording has had an equalization curve applied (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization). Then you pop the vinyl onto a USB turntable (maybe worth £80 with a cartridge not good enough to use in a night club) and ripp it to a PC (all be it some lossless format, maybe FLAC).

Why not just buy the CD?

That's a cheap method of doing it and you won't get a quality A/D converter for that sort of money anyway.

I record all my vinyl and no issues at all.

Oh and the EQing involved isn't hard to replicate.

Are you a Chelsea supporter by any chance???:p

You must be joking. I despise everything about that freeloading bunch of lottery winners. I really hope you stuff them tomorrow, though I rather doubt it after Thursday.

No, I am a life long gooner (also remembering good times past) but at least we strive to do it on our own merits!

Now, what shall I do with my Muse vinyls?

That's a cheap method of doing it and you won't get a quality A/D converter for that sort of money anyway.

I record all my vinyl and no issues at all.

Oh and the EQing involved isn't hard to replicate.

no worries, I'm just glad people are still buying vinyl :)

I have a heap of vinyl I would love to convert - someday I will but I'm still ripping all my CD's to FLAC at the minute. There some vinyl that I just refuse to re-buy on CD.

I listen to my vinyl reguarly but it would be good to get some on the ipod or even to CD to play in the car. If i'm in the house I would still play the vinyl but it would be great to free it up and get it elsewhere. Out of interest my turntable etc is quite good but I don't know much about the PC side of things - what do you recommend for the PC side of things - are we talking a good sound card - if so what sort of price?

You must be joking. I despise everything about that freeloading bunch of lottery winners. I really hope you stuff them tomorrow, though I rather doubt it after Thursday.

No, I am a life long gooner (also remembering good times past) but at least we strive to do it on our own merits!

Now, what shall I do with my Muse vinyls?

Well unfortunately my external soundcard gave up the ghost earlier this week so I can't plug in my turntable to record it :(:(:( Will just hug it instead :LOL::LOL:

I've just received mine! :D I can't play it as I still haven't bought a record player yet! :rolleyes: So I'll keep it in the cellophane for now, but I'm very happy to see that the Teignmouth recording of Uprising is from the 4th, as that was the day I was there! :happy:

no worries, I'm just glad people are still buying vinyl :)

I have a heap of vinyl I would love to convert - someday I will but I'm still ripping all my CD's to FLAC at the minute. There some vinyl that I just refuse to re-buy on CD.

I listen to my vinyl reguarly but it would be good to get some on the ipod or even to CD to play in the car. If i'm in the house I would still play the vinyl but it would be great to free it up and get it elsewhere. Out of interest my turntable etc is quite good but I don't know much about the PC side of things - what do you recommend for the PC side of things - are we talking a good sound card - if so what sort of price?

You want an audio interface, something like this: http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/apogee-duet-firewire-audio-interface-for-apple-logic-studio--45966

And I presume you already have an amplifier for the turntable, just connect from the amplifier to the interface and record in whatever software and edit it a bit. Will all seem very confusing at first though.

And mine came today and my reaction was pretty much this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx6fwfBKCIQ

:LOL:

Archived