A VH4 is unatainable in my price range well in alot of peoples price range's also what pedal does matt use for most songs?

None, he uses channel 3 on the VH4. You are not going to be able to sound like him without spending some serious money.

Why are people dissing the Zvex? It's most likely the best pedal I've ever played, and the only one I continue to use for guitar. You can get it to do a bunch of different things if you actually take the time to learn how to use it.

People were dissing it because it can't get you near Matt's sound and people assume it's his tone in a box. It's an okish fuzz pedal but there are better ones out there, the woolly mammoth is far better imo. If it's the best pedal you have played then you need to play more.

Matts tone is a big fuck up of a lot of things, his signal goes through so much shit id be hard pressed to get his tone evan with a vh4. You can nail a few song with the DSL and a few with the VH4 but everytime i see the mlive his tone seems to alter everytime. I think you should spend some time watching and listening to some live tracks and learn his fill and abit of his style, always a good place to start.

Matts tone is a big fuck up of a lot of things, his signal goes through so much shit id be hard pressed to get his tone evan with a vh4. You can nail a few song with the DSL and a few with the VH4 but everytime i see the mlive his tone seems to alter everytime. I think you should spend some time watching and listening to some live tracks and learn his fill and abit of his style, always a good place to start.

I don't really like his live tone anyways. New born doesn't do it for me live, it's too smooth, not enough beef, I know it's probably near impossible to get a tone like he does in the studio due to practicality and whatnot.

I really like the tone he gets for SMBH, It's really saturated and compressed :D

I'm pretty sure this post would go under this topic...

But what would you guys recommend to a beginning band? (We've actually been playing for about a year but have only done acoustic gigs) Like exactly what kind of gear would you recommend for us, we want to start doing some big gigs and head into the studio. Our sound is kind of a big mix...we have influences like Muse (duh), Green Day, Paramore, Eisley, Queen, Zeppelin, Kansas and such. Not sure if that helps, but anyway, what would you guys recommend? Also don't know if this would help but we're an all girl band, so yeah. Oh and we have a tight budget, duh.

That's when he first started using the diezels (2003). and yes, there isn't much coloration - that sounds like all channel 3.

Definitely better than his sound now, but...showbiz toan ftw.

showbiz tonezzz > everything else. i love that octave-up harmony thing he used a heap back then (think early showbiz recordings)

in terms of the tone im after at the moment though, those supersonic recordings are spot on :happy:

you aint gonna get that sound wit ur tele man. i have a iabenz gio and line six spider and it NAILS dat tone, mannn

in all seriousness though

more cowbell. you need it.

Yeah, the super sonic tone is pretty good. It definitely sounds like channel 3 on the VH4. As for the showbiz tone - I don't mean showbiz the song in particular (I think that harmonizer thing is the whammy btw), but I have to say these are my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBcHRdaJvhI

olawd soldano? must not exist. That tone is basically the tone on the album, more or less.

And the 'raw' (?) tone he had from the DSL (I've managed to imitate that pretty well though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT52mcpSEV0

you aint gonna get that sound wit ur tele man. i have a iabenz gio and line six spider and it NAILS dat tone, mannn

in all seriousness though

more cowbell. you need it.

Yeah, the super sonic tone is pretty good. It definitely sounds like channel 3 on the VH4. As for the showbiz tone - I don't mean showbiz the song in particular (I think that harmonizer thing is the whammy btw), but I have to say these are my favorites.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBcHRdaJvhI[/y

olawd soldano? must not exist. That tone is basically the tone on the album, more or less.

And the 'raw' (?) tone he had from the DSL (I've managed to imitate that pretty well though)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT52mcpSEV0[/y

im getting a reasonable enough approximation of the sound with my rig, but just cant quiiiiite get it tight (olol) enough.

was he using the whammy back on the showbiz tour? i though it was th vg-88 he was using for it.. either way, sounds pretty sweet! pretty much all his sounds through to the end of the abso tour were good imo. my favourites change according to mood :LOL:

hadnt seen that agitated vid before. never realised that they used that outro riff so early on!

im getting a reasonable enough approximation of the sound with my rig, but just cant quiiiiite get it tight (olol) enough.

was he using the whammy back on the showbiz tour? i though it was th vg-88 he was using for it.. either way, sounds pretty sweet! pretty much all his sounds through to the end of the abso tour were good imo. my favourites change according to mood :LOL:

hadnt seen that agitated vid before. never realised that they used that outro riff so early on!

I can't really tell since I don't know ALL the effects on the roland. But he was using the whammy in 2000, maybe earlier.

I like his tone here very much:

Nice and raw.

Ew

Dead star hullabaloo now thats a tone.

Yeah - although it would seem he had a fairly different tone at various 2001 gigs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHCFrH5-FMQ

doesn't really sound like hullabaloo at all.

mine? haha best avoid that video I just uploaded then

tom - i'd go for the amp. how come you need a rack tuner in particular?

No space on my pedal board and I need something that will last a good few years, also the dtr-1000 is only a little bit more money than the floor tuner and it has loads more features so I though I might as well spend a bit more for a better product. Also how have you got your DSL set James? I'm interested if it's anywhere close to how I have mine for that 'raw' sound.

Archived