If you're really a pedal guy, maybe what you need is a flat-ish set up like just a SS poweramp and cab, or a keyboard or bass combo.

Well I once tryed going through the effects return on mah amp, didn't really work out, I'd rather stick with the pedals just pluggid in the amp ;)

Guest bshuker
i playes a line 6 spider ampd today and it was amazing. the effects were so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just joking. heh. hehe

vaderfail_2.jpg

Jokes aside the peavey valveking has some awesome cleans on it. They only get slated in the combo form (no clarity in the speaker) so if you buy a head, some nice valves and a good cab you'll be laughing and well under the £800 for the laney

Hmm yeah, that was my idea too, not looking forward to buying an amp that I want to change for something better in a short time..

An amp is for life... not just for christmas...

:facepalm:

I don't think i'd be able to get rid of my Vox anyway. It was my first decent amp like. Before that, i just had a shitty 10W one i got with one of those guitar starter packs. Yeah the vox i have is only 30W, but it sounds brilliant. I'm sure i'll eventually go down the route of cab and head, but i'll probably still hang onto the vox i have at the mo.

i'll probably buy vox too :LOL:

If you're really a pedal guy, maybe what you need is a flat-ish set up like just a SS poweramp and cab, or a keyboard or bass combo.

yeah, have you thought about getting just a rack mounted power amplifier and maybe a graphic eq? that'll give you the cleanest of cleanz

hey all,

my dad has a tonne of old vinyls. Some are absolutely brilliant ones, like an original Electric Ladyland, some Leonard Cohen stuff etc etc. Anyway, i have a turntable that has coaxial output. If i run a coaxial cable into my laptop, what's the easiest way for me to record them to mp3 or wav or flac (or something) onto my laptop?

cheers

hey all,

my dad has a tonne of old vinyls. Some are absolutely brilliant ones, like an original Electric Ladyland, some Leonard Cohen stuff etc etc. Anyway, i have a turntable that has coaxial output. If i run a coaxial cable into my laptop, what's the easiest way for me to record them to mp3 or wav or flac (or something) onto my laptop?

cheers

easiest? surely teh free software.. audition, audacity or reaper? they should all record to .wav....... get itunes and then you can encode from a wav file to whatever you like within itunes!

Any recommendations? I dont want to spend mega amounts as I dont really know what I'm doing yet :LOL:

Just need to get something to enable me to do a useable mix, that should sound good (well as good as I can record etc...) on any stereos

I've been recommended KRK RP5's at the mo, but ideally, at this stage would like to spend less if possible.

ta,

Dave

I think there are some threads about this, and you might find more info in this thread.

I bought studiospares NS10s because it looked like a good deal (2nd hand) but I am regretting it. They sound good, but when I take my mixes away from them, they sound shit! I'm going to switch back to my Hi-Fi speakers until I can afford something decent.

yeah, have you thought about getting just a rack mounted power amplifier and maybe a graphic eq? that'll give you the cleanest of cleanz

this really got me doubting, cuz as i said, want something that i won't replace in a long time.

and i started thinking like ok i can do that later, at first.

but then i'll have the same problem with having an amp and going rackmounted...

I think i'll stick with a head and stuff for now and go rack if I really 'need' it.

this really got me doubting, cuz as i said, want something that i won't replace in a long time.

and i started thinking like ok i can do that later, at first.

but then i'll have the same problem with having an amp and going rackmounted...

I think i'll stick with a head and stuff for now and go rack if I really 'need' it.

I don't understand this post. A rack mounted power map will be enough power for ever, no need to ever upgrade. It's (supposed to be) neutral with respect to tone, so you won't have to replace it if you want a different tone. A rack mounted EQ would help you polish your sound at the end of your pedal chain. Your pedal chain is one big extremely versatile pre-amp.

All an amp head is is a pre-amp (with little or lots of versatility) and a power amp.

No I was more speaking of getting an amp now, with the idea never to replace it, but then at some point changing it cuz i go rackmounted.. and i meant that im in the same situation then again, becuase i'd replace my stuff again, ehich i dont want.

No I was more speaking of getting an amp now, with the idea never to replace it, but then at some point changing it cuz i go rackmounted.. and i meant that im in the same situation then again, becuase i'd replace my stuff again, ehich i dont want.

Maybe it's just me, but you're not making any sense.

You want to buy an amp that will last forever. I've just explained why a rackmounted power amp would last you forever.

Maybe it's just me, but you're not making any sense.

You want to buy an amp that will last forever. I've just explained why a rackmounted power amp would last you forever.

Point is rackmounted stuff is something totally new to me, so i'd rather stick with things i know about.

OK, i'll try one last time....

An amp head is a pre-amp, and a power amp, built into one case.

A pre-amp (pedals, or rackmounted effects or pre-amp) fed into a rack mounted power amp is exactly the same.

There is nothing different about rack mounted gear. It is not totally new to you, it's exactly the same as the gear you have been using, but in a different shape.

If the shape of your gear influences your purchases beyond portability, you're stupid.

OK, i'll try one last time....

An amp head is a pre-amp, and a power amp, built into one case.

A pre-amp (pedals, or rackmounted effects or pre-amp) fed into a rack mounted power amp is exactly the same.

There is nothing different about rack mounted gear. It is not totally new to you, it's exactly the same as the gear you have been using, but in a different shape.

If the shape of your gear influences your purchases beyond portability, you're stupid.

I'm stupid :)

Archived