What happened? Did he get spammed with email (even more than he already does)?

Yes basically, if you read back the thread, you'll see.

Basically it looks like people have been messaging him just to try and get a reply including trying to anticipate when he might log in, putting headings in, in order to try and attract his attention. :stunned: That isn't necessarily what the people who posted screenshots did, but it could well be the consequence.

The upshot is that he's been bombarded by about 200 messages an hour, and now, understandably, doesn't feel like going on there anymore.

So the person who brought up this discussion just said, please can people stop posting screenshots.

It's probably also worth considering the fact that any private messages sent are just adding to the problem right now.

Toh, don't you think he's not that naive and definitely knows some people will post his replies anyways? that's why he doesn't write anything super private. as it was said earlier, just simple 'hello oh cool. xx'.

The point is, not that Matt might know what will happen, but that the fact that it has happened has resulted in him being unable to continue it. That ends up both restricting him and cutting out a possible channel of communication for people who might want to send an occasional message.

No one's going to change the world, but would it be so hard for an understanding to develop on muse.mu?

The point is, not that Matt might know what will happen, but that the fact that it has happened has resulted in him being unable to continue it. That ends up both restricting him and cutting out a possible channel of communication for people who might want to send an occasional message.

No one's going to change the world, but would it be so hard for an understanding to develop on muse.mu?

i agree. it's all PRIVATE. if he wanted his messages to be recognized by everyone, he'd post somewhere else (for example here as he did several times). i can judge people who post screenshots but i can't forbid.

i agree. it's all PRIVATE. if he wanted his messages to be recognized by everyone, he'd post somewhere else

Exactly! He could post on the wall of myspace, he could reply on facebook, which he has done once I think. The problem is always the same it seems - mass hysteria!

If people can't get over that, there appear only two options, either he doesn't enter into any conversation with fans on line or people don't tell everyone else if he does.

Exactly! He could post on the wall of myspace, he could reply on facebook, which he has done once I think. The problem is always the same it seems - mass hysteria!

If people can't get over that, there appear only two options, either he doesn't enter into any conversation with fans on line or people don't tell everyone else if he does.

will never happen. they feel so excited/happy that want to share their happiness. afterwards they regret but screenshot is already here and seen.

will never happen. they feel so excited/happy that want to share their happiness. afterwards they regret but screenshot is already here and seen.

So you're saying that people have got no self control and no foresight as to the possible consequences of their actions!? Hmm. Can't they just tell their friends and family? :)

So you're saying that people have got no self control and no foresight as to the possible consequences of their actions!? Hmm. Can't they just tell their friends and family? :)

yes.

i doubt if my best friend/mom understand my feelings if i tell them i've got a response from Matt Bellamy. :LOL:

I must say that I've never understood the hysteria about his myspace account. Come on, it's just an impersonal short message. You don't even know if it's really Matt who replies or accepts fans as his myspace friends, could be an assistant or whoever. I can understand getting excited about meeting him, taking a pic with him, getting an autograph. But why would I want to send a message to Matt, he doesn't know, why should I bother him? But okay, people are just all different...

I must say that I've never understood the hysteria about his myspace account. Come on, it's just an impersonal short message. You don't even know if it's really Matt who replies or accepts fans as his myspace friends, could be an assistant or whoever. I can understand getting excited about meeting him, taking a pic with him, getting an autograph. But why would I want to send a message to Matt, he doesn't know, why should I bother him? But okay, people are just all different...

+1

Not that I don't see why people would send him a message, if anyone feels like he or she has something to tell him - and is even hoping he would reply, then there's nothing wrong with that. It's what networking sites are for and I'm sure he likes to stay in touch with his fans. But as I mentioned before, I personally think it's pathetic to just start sending him sick messages just for the sake of it and - worst of all - to put replies in your sig :rolleyes: (even when the original message wasn't particularly 'sick')

And yes I also believe it might not always be him logging in and accepting friend requests... Replies on the other hand are really him I guess.

I feel bad like i've kicked this off a little bit 0_o

so...

Humour me- imagine if people stopped posting screengrabs, (because it's disrespectful and antagonises the situation) then matt would be able (amongst other factors of course) to go on his myspace and do what he wants, no be bombarded with attention seeking messages that waste everyones time!

By keeping it to yourself you can enjoy your reply, and also allow others the opportunity to receive one. Broadcasting it and sharing the message is pointless.

They're nice enough the have a myspace in the first place, plenty of bands refuse to!

yet whilst someone started this thread, made it worse, posted screengrabs and mass hysteria ensued- if everyone just left the matt myspace thing and this thread disappeared then voila, panic over. I hope this thread gets locked, we're discussing it and idiots are posting 'omfg how do i addssss him'.

Come on now.

if you get a reply, keep to yourself otherwise you're going to encourage silly, obsessive fans to hound the life out of him.

the like the aol email all over again :|

i feel bad like i've kicked this off a little bit 0_o

so...

Humour me- imagine if people stopped posting screengrabs, (because it's disrespectful and antagonises the situation) then matt would be able (amongst other factors of course) to go on his myspace and do what he wants, no be bombarded with attention seeking messages that waste everyones time!

By keeping it to yourself you can enjoy your reply, and also allow others the opportunity to receive one. Broadcasting it and sharing the message is pointless.

They're nice enough the have a myspace in the first place, plenty of bands refuse to!

Yet whilst someone started this thread, made it worse, posted screengrabs and mass hysteria ensued- if everyone just left the matt myspace thing and this thread disappeared then voila, panic over. I hope this thread gets locked, we're discussing it and idiots are posting 'omfg how do i addssss him'.

Come on now.

If you get a reply, keep to yourself otherwise you're going to encourage silly, obsessive fans to hound the life out of him.

The like the aol email all over again :|

+2141539531591359319

so...

yet whilst someone started this thread, made it worse, posted screengrabs and mass hysteria ensued- if everyone just left the matt myspace thing and this thread disappeared then voila, panic over. I hope this thread gets locked, we're discussing it and idiots are posting 'omfg how do i addssss him'.

Come on now.

if you get a reply, keep to yourself otherwise you're going to encourage silly, obsessive fans to hound the life out of him.

:stunned::stunned::stunned:

errr, would be nice if people got, you know, off their high horses.

people discuss his myspace and the messages he sends just like they discuss his interviews, his clothes, the gigs or other random things. there is nothing wrong with it and no one who discusses it (or has posted screenshots of his messages) should be made feel bad about it. sorry but that's just silly.

matt has been flooded with messages on his myspace because he's a freaking rockstar who's getting more and more exposure lately. that's it and there's no more explanation needed, really. nor you can reverse the process by shouting 'STOP DISCUSSING HIS MYSPACE'. this ain't kindergarten.

knowing that matt uses his myspace and replies to fans may increase the interest of people, it's only natural; but you can't blame people for discussing it (and on the band's message board, of all places), or sending him messages and you can't be upset if for some reason your message in particular got lost in the middle of hundreds. his myspace is just that - a way to contact randomly with fans. if he wants to keep in contact with someone in particular or wishes to talk some more with someone in particular, then i'd be willing to bet he's not going to use his (official) myspace for that. and if he didn't see that before, i guess he does now.

i wish he'd feel comfortable enough to pop in once in awhile and reply to people and chat a bit on the message board too, maybe. but the band has grown in popularity and so has matt. at this point it's impossible for him to have a myspace or facebook or whatever and not have zillions of people trying to get in touch with him. that's just the way it is.

(and unfortunately, abusive, fucking psycho weirdos come with the territory as well :( not that this justifies anything though and SIIIIIIGH that there's such incredibly stupid people out there :( )

so...

Come on now.

The screencap thing is stupid! I think everyone's got it. Now I'm pretty sure no one will do it again.

The fact is that, all this hysteria about Matt started when people explained how to request Matt as a friend with an Iphone/Blackberry.... And Matt was very active in February/march. Some of us, posted that he accepted people. As a matter of fact , others tried to add him,etc . I' m sure he already had hundreds of messages before screencaps where posted. Just because Matt was on Myspace every night. Of course it became worst when some said he read or replied to few e-mails...I admit.

But my point is... stop being so pessimistic, I mean, he's famous, he know the price to pay ! he certainly saw worst fans-behaviours through his life, especially on Tour. It's no big deal. ;)

:stunned::stunned::stunned:

errr, would be nice if people got, you know, off their high horses.

people discuss his myspace and the messages he sends just like they discuss his interviews, his clothes, the gigs or other random things. there is nothing wrong with it and no one who discusses it (or has posted screenshots of his messages) should be made feel bad about it. sorry but that's just silly.

matt has been flooded with messages on his myspace because he's a freaking rockstar who's getting more and more exposure lately. that's it and there's no more explanation needed, really. nor you can reverse the process by shouting 'STOP DISCUSSING HIS MYSPACE'. this ain't kindergarten.

knowing that matt uses his myspace and replies to fans may increase the interest of people, it's only natural; but you can't blame people for discussing it (and on the band's message board, of all places), or sending him messages and you can't be upset if for some reason your message in particular got lost in the middle of hundreds. his myspace is just that - a way to contact randomly with fans. if he wants to keep in contact with someone in particular or wishes to talk some more with someone in particular, then i'd be willing to bet he's not going to use his (official) myspace for that. and if he didn't see that before, i guess he does now.

i wish he'd feel comfortable enough to pop in once in awhile and reply to people and chat a bit on the message board too, maybe. but the band has grown in popularity and so has matt. at this point it's impossible for him to have a myspace or facebook or whatever and not have zillions of people trying to get in touch with him. that's just the way it is.

(and unfortunately, abusive, fucking psycho weirdos come with the territory as well :( not that this justifies anything though and SIIIIIIGH that there's such incredibly stupid people out there :( )

+ 100000000000000000 I'm not fluent in english, and you said everything I thought. This thread was very cool before, now we're insulted... My gosh!

so...

Come on now.

Well I'm afraid I'm broadly with "lovemybones". I'm not attempting to insult or blame anyone and it's nothing to do with me personally having the opportunity of receiving a reply as I'm not even on there. It's also nothing to do with being on a high horse. I just can't see why people can't at least attempt to make it better for all concerned rather than just being defeatist.

Hopefully they will now anyway.:)

hey, carrie.

it's not a matter of being defeatist.

it's just that at this point, asking people not to discuss matt's myspace is a bit like a step further from asking people not to discuss their music or their general awesomeness ( :D )because that means that more people will find muse and then you (you in general, not you YOU) wont be able to meet them after a gig because there will be too many fans waiting for them. see where i'm going with this?

i also dont think it's fair to call idiots to fans who just probably want a shot at being in touch with matt - as others have been. what's so 'idiotic' about that? (i dont have a myspace but if matt has and adds people, then i can see why people would like to be added!).

and i also don't think it's fair to label as 'disrespectful' people who posted about a matt reply. isn't that pretty much the same as sharing a pic you've taken with them or share a story about meeting them? it's all done out of excitement. and frankly, you'd think other fans would like to see that stuff too.

besides, although it's a PM, it's not like people were showing super private stuff that matt said. i mean, if you meet chris and you talk about children and he talks about his own kids - then it's of course obvious that you shouldn't go around talking too much about it. now... matt replies to something you asked him about his hair or the gigs or setlists... if it's normal stuff that he'd say to anyone (and what makes it special is that it said it to YOU) - then what is the issue of talking about it publicly?

sorry for the long winded posts - but i think people are looking for someone to blame for a situation that nobody is really guilty for (well, except maybe the psychos who harrass him and people he probably cares about).

i too wish matt would go on more often on myspace and i totally wish he hadn't stopped going to facebook. but i don't think pointing fingers is going to solve anything, even more if you're pointing fingers at people whose probably only real guilt is liking the band and matt.

I'd never thought of screencaps as causing a problem, but if the consensus says it is, I have no problem agreeing not to post them. (Again, not a problem for me - I don't have any)

But I think the crazy, personal, explicit messages pose more of a concern than Musers' screenshots.

Wow. There is some heated debates going on here. Change of subject: I thought I was majorly obsessive with Muse, but I don't even compare to some of those people posting comments on his profile. There are normal fans, then there are the stalkerish ones who post multiple comments a day, and then there are the crazies who claim Matt is the father of their child and post a picture of their daughter.

I think most of you guys are neglecting the fact that a lot of people asked for those screen caps just so they could see exactly what Matt said. A post "I got a reply from Matt" wasn't enough. They had to see proof. Catch my drift?

I think people should chillax about when he's signing in and out too. Quit watching his profile like a hawk! Maybe he doesn't want to check myspace all the time. I gave it up for a year just because I got bored of it. Just started going on their recently really. Even then, I hardly check my profile messages and comments. And I hate it when I get an angry text from a friend asking why I didn't approve their comments, etc. :LOL:

agreed. It's not that big of a deal.

"hey look matt signed in today" Um soo?

I can't believe people text you messages like that. :LOL:

Hmmm, I can see what you're saying but I don't think everyone did broadcast it, and we have seen what has happened as a result of it being broadcasted. I'm not sure Matt anticipated that or else he probably wouldn't have attempted to be friendly. The trouble is that if people don't concern themselves with the consequences, it becomes impossible for Matt to do it. It's probably already too late to salvage it tbh.

I'm pretty sure it'll settle down soon enough. He used to reply a few years back, and I'm pretty sure he continued to do so steadily through since then except those weren't made such a big deal because he didn't have a thread about it where fans could go and talk about it. There are plenty of people he's probably replied to that have kept it to themselves, and who knows maybe those people have set up good online relationships with him. Point is, it really isn't any of our business who he chooses to talk to/reply to and the sooner we get over that, the sooner people will just stop badgering him.

I stand by my opinion that it's lovely and humbling if he replies

but broadcasting the fact antagonises and ruins a lovely gesture for others.

Although people are just taking notice of it now, posts like that have always appeared on his page, maybe not by a person named after his ex, but they were still bloody creepy. I think this thread is just overanalyzed in general.

To be frank, I sent him a message awhile back before I went to a gig as a desperate plea about not playing Feeling Good that included an FYI telling him that there was a lot of people from the board that were trying to get a reply from him. And of course that message wasn't read. But there isn't anything I can do about that.

Toh, don't you think he's not that naive and definitely knows some people will post his replies anyways? that's why he doesn't write anything super private. as it was said earlier, just simple 'hello oh cool. xx'.

As I said above, I'm pretty sure there are people that have more private encounters with him, but they have the decency to not post it. Innocent postings aren't as bad, but they did set off a wave of excitement among the boardies to try and get a response from him. And now that is why his Myspace inbox is overloaded.

Best course of action, just let Matt be for awhile eh? If EVERYONE sends their messages at the same time, they are less likely to be read (which is what has happened) or responded to.

agreed. It's not that big of a deal.

I know! Who knew one myspace page could create so much drama!!:LOL:

I can't believe people text you messages like that. :LOL:

Yeah, I had forgotten my password and didn't log in for 2 months or so, and a friend of mine had posted one of those lame quizzes about her. I never took it and she sent me a snide text like "oh, did you think you'd fail my friendship quiz?" or something like that, 2 months later! And we're 20+ years old! Come on now! If we were in elementary school, then yeah, it might be acceptable. :LOL: And the other one I get a lot is when I don't approve the photos to be added to my photo album. Sometimes my friends tag me in the most disgusting pictures ever. I'm not very photogenic to begin with! So no, I'm not approving shitty photos!

And I just noticed I put "their" instead of "there" in my original post. :facepalm::vomit: Oops. I hate that.

Archived