Do you find that "hipsters" often hate Muse? And is it mainly because of Pitchfork?

Slick

"Knights of Cydonia is obviously a joke. Esseentially, we approach music the same way Monty Python did comedy" (Matt Bellamy, Q Magazine, September 2007).

P.S. Way to resurrect a thread from the dead.

You're welcome.

He says its a joke and in many ways it is (look no further than the video) but it's not the level of hipster irony that is required to be "cool".

I'll put it this way, if M83 did a song that epic (and they have) but they use some elements that are less cartoonish, i.e., shoegaze mumble vocals drenched in reverb, a must for trendiness, Pitchfork and the kids with empty frames and angular haircuts would go nuts for it.

I mean, if Matthew Bellamy took himself seriously, I don't think anyone would like the band. But he's dead serious about being ridiculous.

In fairness, the Muse fanbase has it's own 'hipsters'. The people who say "Oh I prefer old Muse because they made proper rock music then". That's perfectly acceptable in my opinion though considering Muse has changed their direction in music in recent years.

But that's been discussed many, many times on this board so I won't bother saying any more :rolleyes:

I live in the land of hipsters aka Austin. We attract them from all over the world for SXSW. I don't know what I am because I love all the hipster music like Little Dragon and Warpaint and Yuck, etc etc. I could go on forever. And I definitely liked bands like Foster the People before they got popular, lol. But at the same time, I love Muse and Biffy Clyro, so I guess I can't really be called a hipster as most people think of it... I know tons of hipsters though, and some of them do like Muse. I'd say the more open-minded ones about music, like me. The elitist hipsters don't like Muse because they're too mainstream, I'd say. They say they're "shit music" and would say the same about the Foo Fighters, Coldplay, etc, yet still go watch them headline Coachella. Basically, my theory is a good percentage of them actually do like this sort of music but wouldn't be caught dead giving them a good review and such and lose their indie cred.

I just find Pitchfork irksome. To be honest, they don't just blind themselves to the fact that accessible music can be brilliant, but they convince themselves that because something's not conventional, it must be a masterpiece (see King of Limbs, which I just fail to enjoy at all).

I'm not sure why they didn't go for NIN's "Year Zero", which is about as weird as you can get and is also brilliant.

I like some bands that hipsters claim as their own, but that said I'm also fond of bands that they despise on principle- Slipknot (except for one or two tracks on Iowa), Biffy, LP and Fightstar.

• 1 year later...

I think the reason why people hate it is

1. Twilight fans

So people hate twilight to the extent of finding any strands to it (not saying i'm a twilight fan I dislike it too)

2. They just don't like it

If you don't like it then it is your opinion and YOURS alone doesn't give you the reason to try make fans of it stray away from something they like.

3. Sounds like Radiohead

I've never personality ever listen to Radiohead but after a dozen years they can't still sound like them (or in the first place) plus they're a band that try's to explore many different genres like said many times.

4. Repetitive

People say they're sick of hearing the same song over and over again (not like i have the luxury since i'm Canadian) but if it's so annoying simple solution TURN TO A DIFFERENT STATION.

5. Atheist

It's their belief there opinion on life not yours

Hope i don't start a fight with the last one :stunned:

I think the reason why people hate it is

1. Twilight fans

So people hate twilight to the extent of finding any strands to it (not saying i'm a twilight fan I dislike it too)

2. They just don't like it

If you don't like it then it is your opinion and YOURS alone doesn't give you the reason to try make fans of it stray away from something they like.

3. Sounds like Radiohead

I've never personality ever listen to Radiohead but after a dozen years they can't still sound like them (or in the first place) plus they're a band that try's to explore many different genres like said many times.

4. Repetitive

People say they're sick of hearing the same song over and over again (not like i have the luxury since i'm Canadian) but if it's so annoying simple solution TURN TO A DIFFERENT STATION.

5. Atheist

It's their belief there opinion on life not yours

Hope i don't start a fight with the last one :stunned:

i've just been mindfucked

i dont even think Muse are atheists, if that's what you were getting at

i've just been mindfucked

BUT BUT THOUGHTS OF A DYING ATHEIST.

Oh wait Matt mentions God in Fury.

WHY WOULD HE WRITE SONGS ABOUT THESE THINGS IF HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN THEM?

Isn't the point of being a hipster that you just bitch about everything?

I thought it was a 'movement' that involved being a dick to everyone about what they like.

*shrug*

Matt's made a really good case for being agnostic, at least, but hasn't really mentioned it since like 2001.

I really couldn't give two shits either way, but I really imagine the number of people who would be turned off of Muse by that would be really small...

Or Christian music would be MUCH more mainstream.

Isn't the point of being a hipster that you just bitch about everything?

I thought it was a 'movement' that involved being a dick to everyone about what they like.

*shrug*

Generally being called a hipster is an outside thing. For example, I'm called a hipster by my friends when I mention a band like The Antlers or The Joy Formidable. Whereas some people on here know bands that are in sub genres of genres I didn't even know were possible.

This post was pointless. Thank you for wasting your time.

Archived