stuartrushforth

There are quite a lot of effects pedals out now having midi in capability.

You can use an XY pad to control these on the fly. e.g. an effect pedal may have gain /compression knobs etc.that are controllable by midi (I dont know this for sure, but dont see why not!)

Anyways. I have almost finished doing a complete revamp of my midi project. My old circuit / code was a bit rough around the edges, bad touch pad resolution and not very energy efficient. Essentially the touch pad was sucking current in a constant "pad on" state. Now I have the pad acting as a switch before its touched, so it is only driven when needed, and the circuit can hibernate when its not.

Also I have made up an automatic pad callibration code when you switch the thing on, so you can use any size pad without having to reconfigure it (e.g. nintendo DS pads / other manufacturer pads)

Also also, I have got a rotary encoder to work for program change (a clicky rotating switch). The one I have has the same shaft size as a standard CTS POT, so will fit knobs to match current volume / tone etc.

Safe

sounds really cool!

i doubt he does. he has better things to do.

You seem to forget he's a musician. I can think of a lot of professional musicians that have stuff that they don't use live, or even in a recording studio. I reckon he probably does do more then we know with it outside of Muse time. We'll wait and see when we all hear the new album.

yeah ive done that - its a lol making random jumps but to be honest, its completely and utterly pointless otherwise because if you're playing guitar you can't exactly strum/pick/whatever AND kaoss-wank at the same time.

teej, why are you so obsessed with the kaoss pad? its okay, not the best thing in the world, hardly revolutionary these days. i do love mine but i use it for purposes other than shit synth sounds.

and before you say it, you clearly are obsessed because its you thats continually hauling this rather cumbersome and somewhat uninteresting topic along the proverbial path of broken glass and HIV-infected goat intestines trying to figure out how to connect a kaoss pad up to the whammy.

if youre that interested, do it yourself, it really, really, really isn't hard

yeah ive done that - its a lol making random jumps but to be honest, its completely and utterly pointless otherwise because if you're playing guitar you can't exactly strum/pick/whatever AND kaoss-wank at the same time.

teej, why are you so obsessed with the kaoss pad? its okay, not the best thing in the world, hardly revolutionary these days. i do love mine but i use it for purposes other than shit synth sounds.

and before you say it, you clearly are obsessed because its you thats continually hauling this rather cumbersome and somewhat uninteresting topic along the proverbial path of broken glass and HIV-infected goat intestines trying to figure out how to connect a kaoss pad up to the whammy.

if youre that interested, do it yourself, it really, really, really isn't hard

Awesome post is awesome. :yesey:

what does it matter if i find this interesting? i think its a really cool tool that can do some crazy stuff...i didnt think i needed to justify my reasons for having an interest in it. calm the fuck down and stop worrying about what i find interesting

honestly, i dont feel like i owe an explanation to you

what does it matter if i find this interesting? i think its a really cool tool that can do some crazy stuff...i didnt think i needed to justify my reasons for having an interest in it. calm the fuck down and stop worrying about what i find interesting

honestly, i dont feel like i owe an explanation to you

Did you even bother to read Scott's post you gormless tard? Everything you've already posted about it being 'an interesting device', has already been discussed and posted over and over.

No one here is asking for an explanation either, we're asking that you kindly shut the fuck up about it as no one here could give two shites about your opinion and mass wankage over a simple outdated tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit harsh, no wonder no one likes to ask questions around here!

Anyway teej - this is a code for reading a resistive strip using an arduino. I don't have a digitech whammy, so this is untested, but should work

I am no programmer - I've never programmed anything else before (but have managed to code for a touchpad which is a fair bit more difficult!!)

I knocked this together, any problems let me know and I will try help!

/*****************************************
// Gareth's Midi Strip Code
//
// Reads a resistive strip potentiometer and momentary switch
// 
// Sends midi serial data on channel 1 to a digitech whammy pedal
// 
// Connect one pin of the switch to GND, the other to D9 on the Arduino
// Connect the center pin of the strip to AD0 on the arduino, the other two pins across 5v
//
// Midi socket is connected as: (looking from behind at the pins)
//
//    __---__
//   /   2   \     Pin 2 -> GND
//  ( 4     5 )    Pin 4 -> 220ohm resistor -> 5v
//   \ 1   3 /     Pin 5 -> 220ohm resistor -> Arduino TX Pin
//     """""       Pins 1 / 3 open
//
// see Toms notes on midi for more information : http://www.tigoe.net/pcomp/code/serial-communication/midi
//
// resistive potentiometer strips: http://www.active-robots.com/product...fun/8607.shtml
*****************************************/

#define analogPin0 0  // resistive strip
#define digitalPin9 9  // momentary switch
#define Debounce 30
int stripValue = 0;
int switchValue = 0;
int switchState = 0;
int stripValueLast = 0;

byte i,val,t;

void setup() {
 Serial.begin(31250);   // set MIDI baud rate
 Serial.flush();

for (i = 2; i <=11; i++){  // turn on internal pullups for switches
   digitalWrite(i, HIGH);
 }
}

void loop() {

//Read momentary Switch

switchValue = digitalRead(digitalPin9);

if(switchValue == LOW && switchState == 0){  // first press
   switchState = 1;
     midiCC(0xB0, 0, 127);  // sends effect on for digitech whammy
   delay(Debounce);
 }

if(switchValue == HIGH && switchState == 1){
    switchState = 2;
 }

if(switchValue == LOW && switchState == 2){  // second press
   switchState = 3;
     midiCC(0xB0, 0, 0);  // sends effect off digitech whammy
   delay(Debounce);
 } 

if(switchValue == HIGH && switchState == 3){
   switchState = 0;
 }

//Read resistive strip

stripValue = analogRead(analogPin0);

if(stripValue != stripValueLast){
 stripValue = map(stripValue,0,1016,0,127);  // maps the value range of the strip to midi 0->127
   midiCC(0xB0, 11, stripValue);  // sends midi control change for whammy treadle
   stripValueLast = stripValue;
 }

}

void midiCC(char command, char value1, char value2){
 Serial.print(command, BYTE);
 Serial.print(value1, BYTE);
 Serial.print(value2, BYTE);
}

safe

Bit harsh, no wonder no one likes to ask questions around here!...

well done with the coding - genuinely very impressed! It's good to see someone finally cracking a mystery of matt's guitars - have you built a model yet to test it all out? be a genuine first both here AND muselive, and hopefully put a stop to parallel port kaoss carry ons.

i just hope it was worthwhile, for i can't see teej actually putting it to use. he strikes me as the type who asks and sees if it can be done easily or "pre-built and bought" from someone, so he doesnt have to do the work. if he does - present us a youtube video of your kaoss guitar controlling a whammy by midi, and i'll apologise for my bastardness.

and it was harsh because it's been said and done a million times on this board - yes we were all noobs once, but he'll be the same when hes put up with the same thing bloody regularly for the next three years.

Teej, you dont owe an explanation but you keep asking very very pointless things - google would have told you pretty much EVERYTHING you asked, even youtube. Common senses, INNIT

we're lovely helpful and knowledgeable people here - provided you do your own homework first, which is to be expected, you are a grown up.

Did you even bother to read Scott's post you gormless tard? Everything you've already posted about it being 'an interesting device', has already been discussed and posted over and over.

No one here is asking for an explanation either, we're asking that you kindly shut the fuck up about it as no one here could give two shites about your opinion and mass wankage over a simple outdated tool.

I'm so sick of this area. If you cannot get your point across without resorting to random insults then you need to go and develop your brain area enough to cope with civilised conversation. You were warned, like, yesterday. If I see this kind of thing again you will be banned permanently, and think yourself lucky I didn't just perm ban you this time.

That also goes for any of you that think it's OMG LOLSUM to act like twats. Pack it in or you will get banned one by one until you learn to behave like the adults most of you are supposed to be.

the questions i asked werent too bad, google kaoss pad controlling whammy..doesnt provide videos, which is what i was asking about.

im sorry if i came off as stupid, but i have been pouring so much research into this, and i think that its really interesting, maybe not to some of you who think its 'outdated', but i think its really interesting.

thanks so much gazlang, i really appreciate it. ill test it out and tell you how it works. :D

I'm so sick of this area. If you cannot get your point across without resorting to random insults then you need to go and develop your brain area enough to cope with civilised conversation. You were warned, like, yesterday. If I see this kind of thing again you will be banned permanently, and think yourself lucky I didn't just perm ban you this time.

That also goes for any of you that think it's OMG LOLSUM to act like twats. Pack it in or you will get banned one by one until you learn to behave like the adults most of you are supposed to be.

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Go back to banter

Archived