Song written by Muse for Adam Lambert

bunerz

I am American, but I agree. It sucks when you want to hear something great and awesome, but the people at work want to keep it on the hip hop and R&B or the pop station because they think everyone likes that shit. Or worse... EASY LISTENING. All the media talk about are the pop stars and r&b shit, cramming our throats and our minds with the likes of Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers and expect us to buy into that shit. Unfortunately a lot of them do.

Stuff like that is the reason I never leave home without my iPod in tow, fully charged. I can't listen to American mainstream bollocks. At least British mainstream sounds a lot better. Its more rock oriented!

YOU DON'T LIKE NICKLEBACK? :fear:

[/sarcasm]

yep. hate Nickleback, Seether, Default, and all 500+ other bands that sound like Nickleback. :LOL: :LOL:

and the Counting Crows. The radio stations around here love em. :mad:

Come down to Orlando, thats all they play.

Although I did hear Muscle Museum on 101.1 once.

I was :happy:

Edit: Oh, and they ADORE Brokencyde.

this is why we don't have nice things.

I am American, but I agree. It sucks when you want to hear something great and awesome, but the people at work want to keep it on the hip hop and R&B or the pop station because they think everyone likes that shit. Or worse... EASY LISTENING. All the media talk about are the pop stars and r&b shit, cramming our throats and our minds with the likes of Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers and expect us to buy into that shit. Unfortunately a lot of them do.

Stuff like that is the reason I never leave home without my iPod in tow, fully charged. I can't listen to American mainstream bollocks. At least British mainstream sounds a lot better. Its more rock oriented!

Yes exactly, this is what i'm trying to say. I'm not trying to insult American's at all, it's just how it is and I feel sorry for those who really cannot stand all that tripe that they're forced to hear all the time. It's just... so different to what's on the radio's over here. I don't really blame Muse for doing what they're doing. It's not even bad, at least they're not bloody going on iCarly like that, uhh.... 'Hey There Delilah' band.

yep. hate Nickleback, Seether, Default, and all 500+ other bands that sound like Nickleback. :LOL: :LOL:

and the Counting Crows. The radio stations around here love em. :mad:

Ugh. Hate Seether that guy NEEDS a freaking haircut! :fear: Really? On 106.5 they play Uprising a bunch :awesome:

Yes exactly, this is what i'm trying to say. I'm not trying to insult American's at all, it's just how it is and I feel sorry for those who really cannot stand all that tripe that they're forced to hear all the time. It's just... so different to what's on the radio's over here. I don't really blame Muse for doing what they're doing. It's not even bad, at least they're not bloody going on iCarly like that, uhh.... 'Hey There Delilah' band.

uuuhggghhh if they did some stupid kiddy show then I would flog THEM.

Come down to Orlando, thats all they play.

Although I did hear Muscle Museum on 101.1 once.

I was :happy:

Edit: Oh, and they ADORE Brokencyde.

this is why we don't have nice things.

our radio once played "Black Flag" by Kings X. I nearly died of shock because they played an actually very talented band.

Back on the subject of Adam Lambert, I heard a lot of fangirls voted for Adam because they think he's cute. Apparently thats why Jonas Brothers are also as popular as they are. And guys with Britney Spears. I guess you can be talentless and have a record as long as you're considered a sex symbol. Ridiculous.

our radio station does play Uprising... but i've only heard it way early in the morning.

our radio once played "Black Flag" by Kings X. I nearly died of shock because they played an actually very talented band.

Back on the subject of Adam Lambert, I heard a lot of fangirls voted for Adam because they think he's cute. Apparently thats why Jonas Brothers are also as popular as they are. And guys with Britney Spears. I guess you can be talentless and have a record as long as you're considered a sex symbol. Ridiculous.

Exactly.

Of course if they saw a picture of Muse... :afro:

Well not really, because America doesn't accept anything that isn't pop or r'n'b.

No no no no no and no!

This is nothing more than stereotype based on a lack of understanding of what this country is all about. We are not some massive homogenous blob that you can just classify in one little box. We're a hugely diverse country the size of all of europe that has 300mil people. Yes, what dominates the charts tends to be pop and RnB, they certainly have a big audience, but that doesn't mean there is no audience for rock!

Remember that the US is the country of Nirvana, Tool, Rage, NIN....!

If it were possible for them to be accepted as they were then Origin would have been released there as well as everywhere else. This album wasn't made for the intention of breaking America, but just maybe Undisclosed will sneak them in at the top 10... It's hard for anyone to make it in America unless they're like either Leona Lewis or Miley Cyrus...

Muse doesn't need to be in the top 10, they don't need to be in heavy rotation on top40 radio. They can be successful without any of it - they already have been.

I'm repeating myself, but we are a big and diverse country, we have a lot of people in a lot of different places. You do not need to be #1 on the national charts to have a big following here, you do not need to be in heavy rotation in MTV to sell out gigs. Muse managed to sell out MSG and the Forum without any of that.

And I thought that touring and playing live was their main focus? The reason they all got in to a band?

The idea the US is somehow drastically different than the rest of the world and that the only way for Muse to be successful here is for them to become something other than what they have always been is just BS.

The problem with OOS was their record label - not the American audience. The vast majority of the audience never got a chance to hear it. It's my understanding that what they did with PiB was they played it a few times over a short period in NYC and because it didn't catch on, they told the guys to re-record it. The guys refused and so it was never released. The US didn't reject Muse in 2001, some idiot at Maverick did.

But the thing is, this isn't 2001 and Muse isn't a little band starting out anymore. With the internet being what it is, people can find the music one way or another and with the band having the sway that they have internationally, they have more control over how they put their message out. They're not bigshots over here, but they have some ability to work around the system if they so choose.

The fact that they had the balls to not fall into that trap when they were young and just starting out, and it seems like the temptation would have been more than ever, yet are doing it now just baffles me.

If they want to make it here, then they should do it just like they did it in the UK and the rest of western europe - tour their hearts out. We may be a "foreign country" but we're all on the same freaking planet.

</rant>

I don't mean to go off at you, but the thing that's really been upsetting me lately is that I've gotten the impression that the band feels the same way that you do, and if they do, that bothers me. They absolutely do not have to do it this way. This is the way they have chosen to do it. And hey, that's their choice... but they do have other options.

Apparently so. His hair/make-up kinda reminds me of a Barbie given a make-over by a 6 year-old! :LOL:

?

i'm reminded of tokio hotel...

most american mainstream 'rock' is terrible softmetal-pop crap.. my mates went through a bit of a phase of liking that stuff..

:chuckle:

is leona lewis big i america? god..

<shyly slinks out of lurkdom>

I am an Adam Lambert fan, more or less (and less after seeing the cover of his album – oy!). I’ve followed American Idol for several years, and he is IMO the most talented person to come out of that show. More scary revelations – I am on this board today and consider myself a Muse fanatic partly because of Adam. But hold on, before you throw me out – I am more like a revitalized Muse fan, because I’m one of about 5 people in the US who actually bought Showbiz in 1999 (how many of you can say that, huh?). See, I’m a huge Jeff Buckley fan, saw Matt Bellamy saying nice things on a JB tribute show, and thought I would check them out. Anyway, my life took a turn to have a bunch’o’babies and promptly forgot about music for the most part, only venturing to get new Radiohead or Keane albums. So I was watching AI this spring, and loved Adam’s FG cover-of-a-cover, then saw some Adam MTV web article over the summer where he plugged Muse – again -- and it linked to newly leaked USoE. Totally loved it. Later heard the 30-sec snippets and went insane over Exo-g, and the rest is history.

But I digress. I think it’s fantastic that Matt gave Adam a song. The 30-second piece sounds very promising, even if it is a Muse cast-off. Like it or not, Adam’s album will be a blockbuster (out Nov. 23). There is no hype here quite like the American Idol kind. The Lambskanks - yes, that really *is* what they call themselves - will be out in full force. I am no fan of pop music, but I’m fascinated by the music promo machine, and the general sorry state of music today. I agree that American radio sucks in ways that can’t be imagined by those of you outside the US. I never listen to radio but my iPod is probably 90% non-US bands / artists. I saw a Billboard article last week that said other than some of the artists on the Twi-shite soundtrack at #2 and The Resistance at #35, there were no foreign artists on the Top 200 album chart. WTF? So how is an American audience supposed to get acquainted with quality music? If it has to be subliminally fed to them via Twilight (which I think is crap) or Adam Lambert (not crap IMO), then so be it. I wanna hear some great artists on the radio for a change, not have to stumble on them by accident. Is that too much to ask?

/rant

/back to lurking

ETA: OMFG, after hearing the full Muse version, I am slayed. I love this song to bits. And ultimately being much more a Muse fan than Adam fan, I am devastated that Adam will get all the glory. He'll do a great job, I'm sure, but this is a Muse song first! Noooooo

No no no no no and no!

This is nothing more than stereotype based on a lack of understanding of what this country is all about. We are not some massive homogenous blob that you can just classify in one little box. We're a hugely diverse country the size of all of europe that has 300mil people. Yes, what dominates the charts tends to be pop and RnB, they certainly have a big audience, but that doesn't mean there is no audience for rock!

Remember that the US is the country of Nirvana, Tool, Rage, NIN....!

Muse doesn't need to be in the top 10, they don't need to be in heavy rotation on top40 radio. They can be successful without any of it - they already have been.

I'm repeating myself, but we are a big and diverse country, we have a lot of people in a lot of different places. You do not need to be #1 on the national charts to have a big following here, you do not need to be in heavy rotation in MTV to sell out gigs. Muse managed to sell out MSG and the Forum without any of that.

And I thought that touring and playing live was their main focus? The reason they all got in to a band?

The idea the US is somehow drastically different than the rest of the world and that the only way for Muse to be successful here is for them to become something other than what they have always been is just BS.

The problem with OOS was their record label - not the American audience. The vast majority of the audience never got a chance to hear it. It's my understanding that what they did with PiB was they played it a few times over a short period in NYC and because it didn't catch on, they told the guys to re-record it. The guys refused and so it was never released. The US didn't reject Muse in 2001, some idiot at Maverick did.

But the thing is, this isn't 2001 and Muse isn't a little band starting out anymore. With the internet being what it is, people can find the music one way or another and with the band having the sway that they have internationally, they have more control over how they put their message out. They're not bigshots over here, but they have some ability to work around the system if they so choose.

The fact that they had the balls to not fall into that trap when they were young and just starting out, and it seems like the temptation would have been more than ever, yet are doing it now just baffles me.

If they want to make it here, then they should do it just like they did it in the UK and the rest of western europe - tour their hearts out. We may be a "foreign country" but we're all on the same freaking planet.

</rant>

I don't mean to go off at you, but the thing that's really been upsetting me lately is that I've gotten the impression that the band feels the same way that you do, and if they do, that bothers me. They absolutely do not have to do it this way. This is the way they have chosen to do it. And hey, that's their choice... but they do have other options.

WORD :awesome:

<shyly slinks out of lurkdom>

I am an Adam Lambert fan, more or less (and less after seeing the cover of his album – oy!). I’ve followed American Idol for several years, and he is IMO the most talented person to come out of that show. More scary revelations – I am on this board today and consider myself a Muse fanatic partly because of Adam. But hold on, before you throw me out – I am more like a revitalized Muse fan, because I’m one of about 5 people in the US who actually bought Showbiz in 1999 (how many of you can say that, huh?). See, I’m a huge Jeff Buckley fan, saw Matt Bellamy saying nice things on a JB tribute show, and thought I would check them out. Anyway, my life took a turn to have a bunch’o’babies and promptly forgot about music for the most part, only venturing to get new Radiohead or Keane albums. So I was watching AI this spring, and loved Adam’s FG cover-of-a-cover, then saw some Adam MTV web article over the summer where he plugged Muse – again -- and it linked to newly leaked USoE. Totally loved it. Later heard the 30-sec snippets and went insane over Exo-g, and the rest is history.

But I digress. I think it’s fantastic that Matt gave Adam a song. The 30-second piece sounds very promising, even if it is a Muse cast-off. Like it or not, Adam’s album will be a blockbuster (out Nov. 23). There is no hype here quite like the American Idol kind. The Lambskanks - yes, that really *is* what they call themselves - will be out in full force. I am no fan of pop music, but I’m fascinated by the music promo machine, and the general sorry state of music today. I agree that American radio sucks in ways that can’t be imagined by those of you outside the US. I never listen to radio but my iPod is probably 90% non-US bands / artists. I saw a Billboard article last week that said other than some of the artists on the Twi-shite soundtrack at #2 and The Resistance at #35, there were no foreign artists on the Top 200 album chart. WTF? So how is an American audience supposed to get acquainted with quality music? If it has to be subliminally fed to them via Twilight (which I think is crap) or Adam Lambert (not crap IMO), then so be it. I wanna hear some great artists on the radio for a change, not have to stumble on them by accident. Is that too much to ask?

/rant

/back to lurking

ETA: OMFG, after hearing the full Muse version, I am slayed. I love this song to bits. And ultimately being much more a Muse fan than Adam fan, I am devastated that Adam will get all the glory. He'll do a great job, I'm sure, but this is a Muse song first! Noooooo

Welcome to the board, and welcome back to muserdom :) I have to say, though, that I don't think I'll ever get the Adam love :p;)

I just wanted to say in case it isn't clear that I am not bothered with Muse being popular or having more people who genuinely appreciate their music. I'm not one of those "zomg they're mainstream! what ever will I do!" types.

What I am bothered (and frankly, somewhat frightened) by is them becoming too closely linked to popculture fads like AI and Twilight. I'm afraid that since they're "outsiders" here in the states that they may not fully understand the impact of what they're doing. Some of their comments on twilight, for example, show me that they have absolutely no clue what that craze is all about! (although, to be fair, there are plenty of teenybopper twilight fans everywhere it seems, so they really have no excuse on that one!)

If they become popular here due to a fad then what happens when that fad fades? They fade... and then they think they've somehow failed here because "no one wants to listen to them anymore" or that the American audience has somehow rejected them when the truth is that the bump they had here was a false one and now things have just settled back to a normal level (The Muse Bubble, similar to the DotCom and Housing Bubbles :chuckle:)

They've said so many times that they think they've done it the "right" way by never going big overnight, by steadily building, and I agree with them on that. This is why I don't understand these moves here in the states that look like nothing more than plays at getting chart positions and money.

And no, i'm not calling them sellouts, but I do think that their decisions lately make them seem li8ke their heading that way. The thing is, and this is just my own little theory, I think they see the US as separate from the rest of the world, and as such aren't as concerned with it (they've said in interviews that they don't really care about what happens here) As such they're doing things connected with the American market (almost typed meerkat lol) that they're not doing as much elsewhere. It's almost as though (and this is my theory) they think they'll do it that way in the states because that's how "they have to" but it won't really be selling out because they'll do it differently (or already have) elsewhere.

Does that make any sense? Blah... I'll stop ranting here ;)

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm taking this too seriously, but it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately... so it's all just coming out this afternoon :$

I wish I knew what was going on in those boys minds :erm:

EDIT: and btw you should unlurk more often! Although, I suppose if you have a life outside the board that may not be a good idea - this place is addictive :awesome:

What do you mean sold out? They've been mainstream for years.

But being mainstream != selling out. Being popular != selling out.

Selling out implies doing what they're doing for the wrong reasons, making moves that look like grabbing at chart positions and whatnot rather than just making the music they want to make and having it get played on the radio.

But being mainstream != selling out. Being popular != selling out.

Selling out implies doing what they're doing for the wrong reasons, making moves that look like grabbing at chart positions and whatnot rather than just making the music they want to make and having it get played on the radio.

Oh, well, yeah good point. I realise that being mainstream doesn't = selling out, rather bands often shifting their SOUND and whatnot to be mainstream is considered selling out.

But yeah, I don't actually recall reading that Muse actually wrote this for Adam. He obviously asked for a song and they just sent this. No biggie really.

What I am bothered (and frankly, somewhat frightened) by is them becoming too closely linked to popculture fads like AI and Twilight. I'm afraid that since they're "outsiders" here in the states that they may not fully understand the impact of what they're doing. Some of their comments on twilight, for example, show me that they have absolutely no clue what that craze is all about! (although, to be fair, there are plenty of teenybopper twilight fans everywhere it seems, so they really have no excuse on that one!)

If they become popular here due to a fad then what happens when that fad fades? They fade... and then they think they've somehow failed here because "no one wants to listen to them anymore" or that the American audience has somehow rejected them when the truth is that the bump they had here was a false one and now things have just settled back to a normal level (The Muse Bubble, similar to the DotCom and Housing Bubbles :chuckle:)

They've said so many times that they think they've done it the "right" way by never going big overnight, by steadily building, and I agree with them on that. This is why I don't understand these moves here in the states that look like nothing more than plays at getting chart positions and money.

You've made some good points, but as long as it doesn't affect the kind of music they're making I don't think it's detrimental if they are associated with "fads" in the U.S. Sure, many of the "ZOMG Twiglight/Adam" people might get bored of Muse when the hype of one single fades or whatever, but maybe 1 out of 10 people will become true Muse fans. I don't think that would discourage Muse. I think they realize they might have to wade through crap to acquire true fans. And given Matt's obsession with Lady GaGa, it seems they have some sort of affinity for "pop" crap. And that does perplex me, but whatever.

And true, all of the U.S. isn't into rap/hip-hop, etc..., but a lot of people here are, (I'd guess it's probably the biggest portion of the musical pie-chart), there's no denying it. I've gone through my life going against the grain musically (well, other ways too, really), and have never been one to listen to top 40 radio, or much radio at all, really, because it mostly sucks. Historically, most bands I've liked have not been from the U.S. (but right, don't let's forget Nirvana, QOTSA, the Strokes, etc...)

Because I (used to) tend to tune out so much of what's going on musically, it's a wonder I ever discovered Muse. Unfortunately, I had to be beat about the head with pop culture before I noticed. So surely there's other people out there like me. :)

For the record, I don't dislike Adam, but I wouldn't buy his album, and I didn't care for his Starlight cover. But I did think he was a fun and talented contestant on the show. I like AI for the same reason I like Desperate Housewives and The Office: Entertainment.

Archived