Song written by Muse for Adam Lambert

bunerz

Could someone please, PLEASE, please tell me what the real story behind this song and its relationship with lambert is? I'm really confused. what's the deal here?

thank you

It looks like its a 2 year old song left on the cutting floor, never released. Lambert approached them to cover a song & Muse have given him one of their rejected songs ;)

Be nice, please. Muse is Adam's favorite rock band. He attended the 9/23 concert at Giants stadium to see them and he, along with a fan and her dad, I think, provided a great-quality live stream of Muse's set for us to listen to whilst on the concert thread. That was one helleva sexy plane ride (am I using that term correctly?).

Here's some links:

Entertainment weekly article about cover being deliberately campy and that Muse wrote the song:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/10/28/adam-lambert-album-cover-deliberately-campy/

Adam Lambert Video: Question of the Day 10/9/09: What is your favorite rock band?

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid29650544001?bclid=23754280001&bctid=43980187001

Entertainment weekly article about Adam Lambert citing Muse as an influence:

http://www.rcarecords.com/adamlambert/adamlambert_EW_instudio_oct_2009.bmp

Could someone please, PLEASE, please tell me what the real story behind this song and its relationship with lambert is? I'm really confused. what's the deal here?

thank you

Basically, Adam Lambert tweeted that Muse wrote him a song for his album, then Niall pointed out that he'd seen it before listed as a song written by Matt and apparently recorded by Muse at some point but never released.

So, they're giving him a song that we've never heard, but it apparently wasn't written specifically for him.

If you go to warnerchappell.com and register, you can listen to a 30sec clip of it.

Oh, well, yeah good point. I realise that being mainstream doesn't = selling out, rather bands often shifting their SOUND and whatnot to be mainstream is considered selling out.

yeah.... that's what I was saying :)

But yeah, I don't actually recall reading that Muse actually wrote this for Adam. He obviously asked for a song and they just sent this. No biggie really.

I dunno... it's one thing for them to give a track to a movie soundtrack or for Lambert to cover Starlight, or to request to cover a song for his album.... it's another for Muse to actually give him something "new" (even if it is something that wasn't written yesterday or especially for the album, it still is something we've never heard....)

Their thinking may have been that this would be safer, so one of their "real" songs doesn't get associated with him, but I dunno... I'd have probably preferred if they just said "sorry, don't have the time to get something for you, have a nice day" :erm:

You've made some good points, but as long as it doesn't affect the kind of music they're making I don't think it's detrimental if they are associated with "fads" in the U.S. Sure, many of the "ZOMG Twiglight/Adam" people might get bored of Muse when the hype of one single fades or whatever, but maybe 1 out of 10 people will become true Muse fans. I don't think that would discourage Muse. I think they realize they might have to wade through crap to acquire true fans. And given Matt's obsession with Lady GaGa, it seems they have some sort of affinity for "pop" crap. And that does perplex me, but whatever.

I'm actually not too bothered by the gaga thing, everyone's got their guilty pleasures :D

About your other point, I know ... I think it can go either way at this point... it just makes me nervous.... and I really don't understand why they've chosen to do it this way. Maybe they think this is a good way to get the label off their backs, but I don't know... you have to be careful not to get labelled or lose "street cred"

It may be juvinile, but for all the fans they gain for being associated with AI and Twilight, how many others do you think may be turned off without giving them a chance because they think "ick, I'm not going to like some stupid twilight band" And yeah, I know, it's their loss etc, but still... if it's simply about throwing a wide enough net in the hopes you get some keepers, you have to also take into account where you're throwing the net etc.

And true, all of the U.S. isn't into rap/hip-hop, etc..., but a lot of people here are, (I'd guess it's probably the biggest portion of the musical pie-chart), there's no denying it. I've gone through my life going against the grain musically (well, other ways too, really), and have never been one to listen to top 40 radio, or much radio at all, really, because it mostly sucks. Historically, most bands I've liked have not been from the U.S. (but right, don't let's forget Nirvana, QOTSA, the Strokes, etc...)

Because I (used to) tend to tune out so much of what's going on musically, it's a wonder I ever discovered Muse. Unfortunately, I had to be beat about the head with pop culture before I noticed. So surely there's other people out there like me. :)

I first heard Muse on the local Alt Rock station when Hysteria was new, loved in instantly :$ But didn't actually get around to discovering Muse until I heard KoC. (Mainly due to that period of my life not being particularly great)

Basically, Adam Lambert tweeted that Muse wrote him a song for his album, then Niall pointed out that he'd seen it before listed as a song written by Matt and apparently recorded by Muse at some point but never released.

So, they're giving him a song that we've never heard, but it apparently wasn't written specifically for him.

If you go to warnerchappell.com and register, you can listen to a 30sec clip of it.

Thank you. i have listened to the whole song, already :)

Be nice, please. Muse is Adam's favorite rock band. He attended the 9/23 concert at Giants stadium to see them and he, along with a fan and her dad, I think, provided a great-quality live stream of Muse's set for us to listen to whilst on the concert thread. That was one helleva sexy plane ride (am I using that term correctly?).

meh, I don't like the guy and I'm gonna say so :D:p I don't care if Muse is his favorite band, I don't have to love everyone who also loves Muse. ;)

I have nothing against the guy personally, I just don't think his voice/style are suited to Muse and as such I don't like that they've given him a song... simple as that.

Thank you. i have listened to the whole song, already :)

No problem :D I see someone else explained while I was typing my reply :$

I haven't heard anything more than the clip... I'm curious... gotta look it up when I get home!

Well this was interesting to come home to. :LOL:

I'm also nervous about them getting sucked into American pop culture. The thing is, for every person who thinks Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers are music geniuses, there's 20 more who are dying to hear a proper rock band. Those are the people Muse should be targeting and have been up to now. I'm not saying they've sold out or anything, but I really really wish I could sit them down and make them listen to bands/hip hop artists outside of the mainstream. :$

It may be juvinile, but for all the fans they gain for being associated with AI and Twilight, how many others do you think may be turned off without giving them a chance because they think "ick, I'm not going to like some stupid twilight band."

Criminy. That's actually quite possible. I admit that I heard SMBH because of Twilight. (Even though I went through a Twilight phase, I knew at the time it was ridiculous.) I vaguely remember thinking "wow, what a great song, but do I really want anything to do with a band that is associated with this stupid vampire crap?" Huh. I think I've just had an epiphany. :erm:

Well this was interesting to come home to. :LOL:

I'm also nervous about them getting sucked into American pop culture. The thing is, for every person who thinks Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers are music geniuses, there's 20 more who are dying to hear a proper rock band. Those are the people Muse should be targeting and have been up to now. I'm not saying they've sold out or anything, but I really really wish I could sit them down and make them listen to bands/hip hop artists outside of the mainstream. :$

Honestly, there are not 20 people per every Miley Cyrus fan. Muse can do whatever they want, no one cares about your indie bands/hip hop artists.

Criminy. That's actually quite possible. I admit that I heard SMBH because of Twilight. (Even though I went through a Twilight phase, I knew at the time it was ridiculous.) I vaguely remember thinking "wow, what a great song, but do I really want anything to do with a band that is associated with this stupid vampire crap?" Huh. I think I've just had an epiphany. :erm:

:chuckle: you really thought that? :D

Honestly, there are not 20 people per every Miley Cyrus fan. Muse can do whatever they want, no one cares about your indie bands/hip hop artists.

From what I've seen there are. I'm not saying they can't do what they want. Believe me, I've defended them several times when fans start moaning about that. Matt said he doesn't listen to much new music these days, so I'm assuming he doesn't know many of the more obscure British bands who are pretty popular on this forum. All I'm saying is I think bands like Porcupine Tree and IAMX would appeal to him, and it would be really cool to hear their influences in Muse's music.

Yes, yes I did. Good thing I gave 'em a chance. :awesome:

Yeah, good thing :awesome:

I was thinking about it after I read your post and....

to be honest, if I heard SMBH and had never heard anything by them I may have been remotely interested to see what else they had. But if I heard it and knew it was "the twilight band" I probably wouldn't have bothered to look into them. I never would have guessed that they'd have all the awesome rock songs that they have!

It wouldn't have been a nasty thing where if someone played me Hysteria after I would have said "It's cool but i refuse to listen to the twilight band :phu:"... it's just that I wouldn't have thought they would be anything I would be interested in judging by stuff like Twilight, AI and Lambert.

This is why I don't really like the manner in which they're seeking out the new fans. Like I said, and to continue the lame analogy, I don't mind casting a wide net, I'm more concerned with the waters they're fishing in! ;)

Yes, they're going to find good quality muser types in the mix.... but what about people like me? :unsure:

No no no no no and no!

This is nothing more than stereotype based on a lack of understanding of what this country is all about. We are not some massive homogenous blob that you can just classify in one little box. We're a hugely diverse country the size of all of europe that has 300mil people. Yes, what dominates the charts tends to be pop and RnB, they certainly have a big audience, but that doesn't mean there is no audience for rock!

Remember that the US is the country of Nirvana, Tool, Rage, NIN....!

Muse doesn't need to be in the top 10, they don't need to be in heavy rotation on top40 radio. They can be successful without any of it - they already have been.

I'm repeating myself, but we are a big and diverse country, we have a lot of people in a lot of different places. You do not need to be #1 on the national charts to have a big following here, you do not need to be in heavy rotation in MTV to sell out gigs. Muse managed to sell out MSG and the Forum without any of that.

And I thought that touring and playing live was their main focus? The reason they all got in to a band?

The idea the US is somehow drastically different than the rest of the world and that the only way for Muse to be successful here is for them to become something other than what they have always been is just BS.

The problem with OOS was their record label - not the American audience. The vast majority of the audience never got a chance to hear it. It's my understanding that what they did with PiB was they played it a few times over a short period in NYC and because it didn't catch on, they told the guys to re-record it. The guys refused and so it was never released. The US didn't reject Muse in 2001, some idiot at Maverick did.

But the thing is, this isn't 2001 and Muse isn't a little band starting out anymore. With the internet being what it is, people can find the music one way or another and with the band having the sway that they have internationally, they have more control over how they put their message out. They're not bigshots over here, but they have some ability to work around the system if they so choose.

The fact that they had the balls to not fall into that trap when they were young and just starting out, and it seems like the temptation would have been more than ever, yet are doing it now just baffles me.

If they want to make it here, then they should do it just like they did it in the UK and the rest of western europe - tour their hearts out. We may be a "foreign country" but we're all on the same freaking planet.

</rant>

I don't mean to go off at you, but the thing that's really been upsetting me lately is that I've gotten the impression that the band feels the same way that you do, and if they do, that bothers me. They absolutely do not have to do it this way. This is the way they have chosen to do it. And hey, that's their choice... but they do have other options.

I get what you're saying completely and of course i'm not trying to say that the whole of America only likes that kind of music but from the perspective of someone from England, all I see coming from America over to us is all the stuff like Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers, which is definately more popular than anything Rock over there, so I think it'd be pretty impossible for a band like Muse to make it into the charts without a little help... (Twilight, VMA's, now Adam Lambert...) and they can't be properly noticed if they're not in the charts really.

But.. at least they're not actually changing the way they sound in order to appeal to that sort of audience right? They're still making the music they enjoy doing and if they really wanted a number 1 album in America then there's no way they would have shoved a 15 minute symphony on there... so they're really not doing anything we should be pissed off about. Undisclosed Desires is obviously a good choice of song to release, hopefully it'll do well and then make people check out more songs and be completely blown away by their ROCK music and then everyone will forget about the Jonas Brothers and we'll live happily ever after :awesome:

[ATTACH]7092[/ATTACH]

featuring Muse.... :facepalm: Funniest/most bizarre thing I've heard all day :LOL::LOL:

Oh god, I'm not supposed to be on the computer right now, and I just saw that and laughed realllly loud :LOL:

I'm actually not too bothered by the gaga thing, everyone's got their guilty pleasures :D

She is turning into my guilty pleasure. Goddamn it is so shameful.:$

I feel sorry for this Adam Lambert person after hearing that song. You can see why it didn't even make a B-Side. :LOL:

Yeah the only good part is the beginning :LOL: I think everything else is blaaah.

another long post from me ;)

I get what you're saying completely and of course i'm not trying to say that the whole of America only likes that kind of music but from the perspective of someone from England, all I see coming from America over to us is all the stuff like Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers, which is definately more popular than anything Rock over there, so I think it'd be pretty impossible for a band like Muse to make it into the charts without a little help... (Twilight, VMA's, now Adam Lambert...) and they can't be properly noticed if they're not in the charts really.

The thing is, they don't really need to make it into the top 40 charts, just the Alternative and Rock charts (which they consistently have, at least the alt one, since Abso) I think that would be enough to give them a solid base, which along with the exposure they could get from local rock stations through gigging (giggidy) would put them over the edge.

Sure, they wouldn't be Beyonce, but they can do just fine for themselves without being that big. It's a big market, and the charts are national - so you can be really popular in a particular region or with a particular subset of the population without making it on to the big charts. I think they realize that it's harder to get attention in the bigger market, but I think they've miscalculated just how much attention they need.

Black Holes debuted in the top 10 without the Twilight or any other pop culture links and without having a big hit single at the time of release. Starlight nearly made it into the hot 100.

That's why I don't get this push that they're doing... it seems wrongheaded to me - like they think they need some sort of chart position or radio play that they really don't need. They've been steadily building a fanbase here since '04 and I thought they were doing a pretty good job of it... so why the sudden embrace of all things pop culture?

I said it in the post to musemom, but I'm all for casting a wide net, i'm just a little concerned about the waters they're choosing to fish. It seems like they're focused mainly on the pop market lately and they can get fans that way, but they seem to be neglecting the rock market. It seems to me that they'd do better at getting long term fans if they put their effort into that market rather than hitching on to fads.

The thing is, I'm not entirely sure I believe that they really understand how faddy the stuff they're attached to is, there seems to be almost a naivete about it (like the twilight = lost boys comments :noey:)... which also worries me because I wonder if they're getting bad advice about this stuff....

But.. at least they're not actually changing the way they sound in order to appeal to that sort of audience right? They're still making the music they enjoy doing and if they really wanted a number 1 album in America then there's no way they would have shoved a 15 minute symphony on there... so they're really not doing anything we should be pissed off about. Undisclosed Desires is obviously a good choice of song to release, hopefully it'll do well and then make people check out more songs and be completely blown away by their ROCK music and then everyone will forget about the Jonas Brothers and we'll live happily ever after :awesome:

:chuckle: yeah, the world would be a better place if there was more balance between the pop, hiphop and rock ;) Maybe I'm just being a "back in my day" old person, but it really seems like things have gone downhill in the last 10 yrs or so when it comes to music. It's so hard to find good stuff.... i blame limp bizkit. That was the turning point, in my memory at least... durst :fear:

And I know they haven't changed their music, I'm more concerned with what sort of image they're getting over here... and tbh I am afraid that they're going to be pressured to start changing the music if they keep going down this road... I'm afraid they'll get big off of a fad, then they'll release an album that won't connect to the fad and lose those people and the label will get on their cases about the type of music they're making like happened with OOS. I'm not particularly worried about the band imploding, just about them retreating back to europe so that I can't ever see them again! :supersad: (i know, i worry too much :p)

As a side note, a lot of people complain about how bad music is here based on what you hear on the radio and how much better it is over there, but tbh from what I've heard the couple of times I've listened to Zane Lowe for Muse news doesn't sound a whole lot better than what you get on the radio over here :chuckle: Doesn't appeal to me at all, at least... maybe that's not a good source, though, I dunno :p;)

And sorry for the rant earlier :$ i just needed to get that out of my system. I've been a little angry with a certain meerkat lately :shifty:

Archived