The problem for me is that even if 80s cheese is not my thing (for the most part), just because the song sounds like that doesn't make it automatically bad in my books. It's just that the song completely leaves me cold in every way: I have absolutely no emotional reaction to it whatsoever.

I mean, play "Total Eclipse of the Heart" for me when I've had a few beers, at 2 am at a bar when everyone are singing along to it earnestly, not because they are taking the piss and I might even wipe a single discreet tear from the corner of my eye (well, not really, but it makes a nice mental image!). Guiding Light just makes me yawn. I do agree with the person who said that the intro is nice.

Then again, maybe Matt wanted to write something nice and sentimental for his lady and there's nothing wrong with that.

omg i might regret this post later once i'm fully awake, after being labelled as stuck on OOS (hyper music is just an example btw)

but i know why people dont like it as much..

listen to guiding light, then listen to hyper music... it just stops me getting into guiding light properly knowing they've made better songs that are in a higher sort of tier of ossumness, and guiding light'll never get in there.. and i could be listening to them instead..

I think Muse are at their best when they do really fast, rocky songs (SS, KoC, Hysteria etc) or really slow, atmospheric songs with real meaning (Blackout, Megalomania etc). It's when they try something in the middle (i.e. a slow love song/ballad with a heavy guitar solo and cheesy lyrics (Invincible, Guiding Light, etc) that they come a little unstuck for me.

Don't get me wrong, Invincible and Guiding Light are decent songs (which would probably be big chart hits if written and released by someone like Snow Patrol, for example), but in the hands of Muse, they just seem vastly inferior to other, more meaningful songs. They just sound a bit forced to me.

Guiding Light is the song that Invincible should have been... I really love it, I think the lyrics are quite dark (if you listen to them properly) and despite the fact that the intro drum beat has been completely lifted off Ultravox's Vienna (I am sure this must have been said before) I think it is quite anthematic. Its a highlight for me.

omg i might regret this post later once i'm fully awake, after being labelled as stuck on OOS (hyper music is just an example btw)

but i know why people dont like it as much..

listen to guiding light, then listen to hyper music... it just stops me getting into guiding light properly knowing they've made better songs that are in a higher sort of tier of ossumness, and guiding light'll never get in there.. and i could be listening to them instead..

Completely different songs, soemtime's I;d be in the mood for HM, sometimes for GL, far too opposite end of the spectrum to compare IMHO

To be honest I'm annoyed by how Muse albums for me have at least one song that isn't on par with the others and kinda ruins them. Namely Feeling Good, TOADA and Guiding Light respectively. BHAR had several tracks which brought it down.

The "weaker" songs off each album seem to be

Showbiz - Overdue

OoS - Screenager/Feeling Good

Abso - Endlessly

BH&R - Soldier's Poem

TR - I Belong to You (defientely not Guiding Light, it's freakin awesome!)

and btw, those "weaker" songs are all still great!

I actually like Guiding Light! I'm not a big of the studio version of Invincible, but I like the live version. I like the bass and drums in GL and Matt's voice is beastly. And the guitar notes in the background give it a good feeling :)

Oooo just got to the guitar solo :awesome:

Completely different songs, soemtime's I;d be in the mood for HM, sometimes for GL, far too opposite end of the spectrum to compare IMHO

a'ight... what about.... oh damnit it's too different from like all their other songs.. what about map of the problematique? endlessly.. um.. FAWY +interlude?

well ok i cant justify that post.. knew i'd regret it.. at the time i was taking 'muse' as a genre ... seems i'm hardly ever in the mood for GL then :(

edit- just tried listening to it again.. still does nothing much for me.

damnit i really want to like this song.

I actually like Guiding Light! I'm not a big of the studio version of Invincible, but I like the live version. I like the bass and drums in GL and Matt's voice is beastly. And the guitar notes in the background give it a good feeling :)

Oooo just got to the guitar solo :awesome:

i agree it'll be good live though :happy:

My reason for not so much disliking, but liking the song less is that, for me, nothing stands out about it as much as the other songs on the album! What I mean is:

uprising- although not their best, a supermassive-esque signature tune of the album.

united states of eurasia- an edgy, original, and questionable song with 'queen' undertones.

Undisclosed desires- a mellow, soft beat, and lyrically one of their best.

Mk ultra- incredible riff- typical muse, but somehow original!

Resistance- amazing rythym, and recognisable piano piece- not unlike maps of the problematique!

Exogenisis- sheer musical genius! Enough said!

I belong to you- jazzy francophone song! Love it or hate it... I love it!

Unnatural selection- again excellent riff, but maybe more like black holes and revelations style.

And.......

Guiding light- ?

I can't answer this, myself! And I'm sure that everyone has their own answer, but for me, it plain doesn't stand out.

I actually really like it now. It's not my favourite but I look forward to it coming on, just so I can reassess it again, and the lyrics really get to me. They've given me a few tears Actually even thinking about what I think about when I listen is making me want to well up. It's actually quite powerful now I'm used to it. And the vocal and instrumentals work for me now.

Archived