What ya think?  

737 members have voted

1. 1. What ya think?

• Promising!
    • I'm scared :(
    • No opinion really
    • Wheres the cabasa?

I prefer Uprising. The synth bits sound very much like Doctor Who but I think it works really well with the bass (this album is starting to look good for Wolstenholme).

With Eurasia, the Queen bits just annoy me because it sounds too much like a straight copy than something that is 'influenced' by.

A cover is not a ripoff.

USoE only sounds abit like Queen.

We've only heard 30 seconds of Uprising.

All songs are derivative; the faster you learn that, the faster you'll learn to enjoy music for what it is.

Bullshit, every musically trained person can hear clearly they 'borrowed' a lot of stuff.

It's not really original anymore... nothing like the riffs we knew on plug in baby which was mostly original material (hardly any borrowing there!)

I know a good piece of music when I hear it, and I also hear an uninspiring song when I hear it. I don't doubt the musical talent of muse but I think they can do loads better than this. The piano part of USoE is nothing more than basic chord progression theory and that really is a shame.

Bullshit, every musically trained person can hear clearly they 'borrowed' a lot of stuff.

It's not really original anymore... nothing like the riffs we knew on plug in baby which was mostly original material (hardly any borrowing there!)

I know a good piece of music when I hear it, and I also hear an uninspiring song when I hear it. I don't doubt the musical talent of muse but I think they can do loads better than this. The piano part of USoE is nothing more than basic chord progression theory and that really is a shame.

a crying shame?

Well I like the 36 seconds and I'm not making anymore judgements till Monday! And to musemom, are you really in Atl or just nearby? Because I don't go up there very often but a city as big as that should have a reasonable record store and if they don't then... well it's just really disappointing. What happened to all the Virgin stores? Is there even one left in the south?!

Hold on, isn't the Plug In Baby guitar riff borrowed from a classical piece?

Plug In Baby sounds like Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor (at about 1:20 in the youtube link below) and has a similar note sequence to Adagio For Strings. Suddenly your argument has lost some credibility. There are only twelve notes (unless your Indian), so there is no original music, there are just ways of combining our influence in unique and different ways. They borrowed the Radiohead thing in the early days. I

t's ALL just opinion. Everyone needs to remember that.

Anyway:

(Bach's Toccata, look for 1:20)

(Adagio for Strings)

God damn, this is so similar! I dont mind Muse constantly using all these references and homages, but I hope there's one damn song on the new album that has at least ONE bit that isnt from something else :stunned:

Yeah i know what you mean . . . i must admit i am slightly worried, but at the same time its muse so i dont think they will do an entire album of stuff that sounds like other people :)

That song is win! :LOL: <3

Epicness :yesey::LOL:

just testing a theory...

everyone here understands the difference between the opening of a song and the opening of an album right?

Because I just posted saying I reckon this could be a snippet from midway through the song, as muse have never opened an album with a strong bassline like that, and nobody seems to understand the difference.

just testing a theory...

everyone here understands the difference between the opening of a song and the opening of an album right?

Because I just posted saying I reckon this could be a snippet from midway through the song, as muse have never opened an album with a strong bassline like that, and nobody seems to understand the difference.

Yeah I thought it sounded like a strange album intro as well, I like your theory! :cool:

In this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJCm-6La6Q&feature=related

... do you think he's serious when he's talking about the rapping? I can't see Muse doing anything really rap-like but still... :$

Very similar to Bach...

Yuh-huh, Toccata and Fugue in D minor much?

Anyway, I still don't get why people are freaking out about the fact they don't like USoE. You don't have to like it, that's fine, you don't have to like everything they do. You might like the rest of the album. I mean, for example, I hate Starlight, but I love BHAR.

And hey, even if you end up not liking the album....so what? Just go and listen to stuff you do like.

As for Uprising, sounds very glam-rock to me so far. Yaldy :D And the guitar bit right at the end sounds promising, too. The bass is bitchin'. And the synth over the top is sweeeet.

I dunno, doesn't sound like it will be their best ever, but I think I will be able to stand that on the radio all the time, whereas with Starlight, I couldn't.

Personally, I prefer USoE though :LOL:

I prefer Uprising. The synth bits sound very much like Doctor Who but I think it works really well with the bass (this album is starting to look good for Wolstenholme).

With Eurasia, the Queen bits just annoy me because it sounds too much like a straight copy than something that is 'influenced' by.

My dad feels Uprising is derivative, copying Doctor Who :( I love it, it still has the feeling of Muse :D

Plug In Baby sounds like Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor (at about 1:20 in the youtube link below) and has a similar note sequence to Adagio For Strings. Suddenly your argument has lost some credibility. There are only twelve notes (unless your Indian), so there is no original music, there are just ways of combining our influence in unique and different ways. They borrowed the Radiohead thing in the early days. I

t's ALL just opinion. Everyone needs to remember that.

Anyway:

(Bach's Toccata, look for 1:20)

(Adagio for Strings)

The toccata is more like in your world, rather than plug in baby. And it's definately less obvious than the doctor who/goldfrapp/queen references they put in these songs.

Okay so we only have 12 different notes; that means if you have a bar with let's say 8 notes in it (disregarding octaves and polyphony)

12x12x12x12x12x12x12x12 possibilities (429 981 696)

then I haven't even mentioned rythm yet or sound. It's really too much of a 'coincidence' that they used the same beats and same sound (slightly altered but that's not the point here)

It's in my opinion okay to be influenced by a band / song, but this is definately TOO obvious

It's was originally on Bobjimtheawesome's Facebook - maybe he heard it on ML.

1. Don't be stupid :LOL:

2. Yay, another Sheffielder! :happy:

1. im not :p its tripe. a lazy effort imo, just goldfrapp meets doctor who meets depesche mode. and its been stuck in my head all day :unsure:

2. im the original sheffield muse memeber (this being my 3rd account) :happy: *

*may not be strictly true

I do not spend hours wondering what the new album will be like, I just wonder how long people will go on like:

<song name> sounds like <song name / <band name>

Really annoying.

Amen!... Seriously, the word "rip" should be put into the swear filter on here :facepalm:

Ugh :facepalm:

Read thread, then post! :fear:

:rolleyes: Hmmm... should I be bothered to sift through 40+ pages of people saying things that may or may not be true/mainly just be opinion-based... or hope that some musers would be decent enough to just lay it out for others of us that aren't yet in the know?

-Yes

-Fan Made

&& There won't be any rapping :LOL: Don't worry :)

By the way, I can't really see how this resembles Starlight :erm:

Thanks.

THANK FUCK there's no rapping! I was srsly worried for a minute there :LOL:. Spesh since Muse collaborated with Mike Skinner, I thought Matt may have lost it and thought he could have a go himself :p.

Yeah... I dunno, there's just something that reminded me of Starlight in the bass, and the piano bits in Starlight are similar in a way to the 'discoey' sound in Uprising... lol I can't explain anything today! ... I dunno, they're by no means hugely comparable, but I could hear a mild similarity is all.

Archived