Which is the best Muse song?  

740 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best Muse song?

It's basically just a RATM riff. God forbid I don't love every single SECOND of Origin of Symmetry. :LOL:

I like Nature_1 and honestly think it should have been included on OoS but calling the ending to Micro Cuts basically a RATM Riff while Nature_1 has a similar yet not as good riff at the end doesn't make much sense to me.

Not sure where to put this without looking like I'm being a complete spammer, but I posted a semi-detailed list of my top 50 Muse songs. I've not listened to Muse in a while, so this was a nice way to get back into the band. A fair few have my favourite live performance of said song. Enjoy/complain. ;)

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jonzo67/muse___top_50_songs_f1

Included Nishe, put Knights in the top 10, some of their best songs aren't even in the top 25 = list is automatically null and void.

Included Nishe, put Knights in the top 10, some of their best songs aren't even in the top 25 = list is automatically null and void.

Um, no it's not.

God, I'm beginning to remember why I stopped posting on main muse.

Um, no it's not.

God, I'm beginning to remember why I stopped posting on main muse.

Were you expecting something like "OMG your list is perfect! I totally agree with you :awesome:"?

It's a peculiar list, it's obvious that someone (like me) would have something to say.

Not sure where to put this without looking like I'm being a complete spammer, but I posted a semi-detailed list of my top 50 Muse songs. I've not listened to Muse in a while, so this was a nice way to get back into the band. A fair few have my favourite live performance of said song. Enjoy/complain. ;)

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Jonzo67/muse___top_50_songs_f1

I like how you put some completely overlooked songs in there. But Micro Cuts >>> Hyper Music. And Shrinking Universe should be lower because it's boring except for that one awesome part. Other than that, I generally agree with/tolerate your list.

Obi, can I ask why Nishe, The Gallery, Piano Thing and Bedroom Acoustics are in there and not Ruled By Secrecy? :wtf:

Not necessarily disputing your opinion, just seems like a very odd thing to do.

Piano Thing should most definitely be there.

Were you expecting something like "OMG your list is perfect! I totally agree with you :awesome:"?

It's a peculiar list, it's obvious that someone (like me) would have something to say.

No, I want disagreement. T'd be crap if you all agreed with me :LOL: Just little things like that wind me up. Can we not just accept opinions without making stupid blanket statements like "YOUR LIST IS NULL AND VOID". Whats all that about? :LOL:

Obi, can I ask why Nishe, The Gallery, Piano Thing and Bedroom Acoustics are in there and not Ruled By Secrecy?

Not necessarily disputing your opinion, just seems like a very odd thing to do.

For two reasons - I don't rate RBS too much, I just think it drags on a bit and not a lot happens. And secondly, because I forgot about it... :p It'd probably be above the likes of the Gallery. I like the piano bridge towards the end, and Matt's ghost-like intro. S'all good.

I like how you put some completely overlooked songs in there. But Micro Cuts >>> Hyper Music. And Shrinking Universe should be lower because it's boring except for that one awesome part. Other than that, I generally agree with/tolerate your list.

Shrinking Universe, for me (and I might be a minority), has an excellent flow to it. It doesn't do a lot wrong, except (apparently) be devastatingly engaging. I reckon people don't appreciate it as much because it doesn't have a distinctive lead hook or anything. I love the rawness of it, the way it progresses and all that, and then that scream out of nowhere. Fantastic.

I used to prefer Micro Cuts, but I think Hyper Music is a much more rounded song, and it's got a lot mor going for it overall. Micro Cuts relies on shock value a little bit. It's wonderfully OTT, but Hyper Music is instrumentally superb all over the shop. Plus I was factoring in HCM - so I cheated a bit.

Can we not just accept opinions without making stupid blanket statements like "YOUR LIST IS NULL AND VOID". Whats all that about? :LOL:

1. Any music discussion on the internet will end in people being an ass about your tastes.

2. Your complaint is against one person, who would've done the above point to anyone

"Opinion" is an illusion made up by people that are wrong to make themselves feel better.

I'll let you interpret that as you may.

1. Any music discussion on the internet will end in people being an ass about your tastes.

I don't get offended by much on the internet. I find it funny. :LOL: I just think people need to evaluate the way they express their opinion; be a bit more courteous, a little less gung-ho "I'm right, and I'm gonna express my rightness by being 'funny'".

I probs should have let that go, but the list (as sad as this sounds), was something I did on my off-time over a few weeks. I tried to make it entertaining and presentable. So feedback, other than "your list is null and void cos song x or song y isn't in it" is a little rude. But I digress.

Are there any other music journos or even RYM users on here out of interest? I wrote this in a very OTT, colloquial way, but I always welcome tips writing-wise.

I don't get offended by much on the internet. I find it funny. :LOL:

Not sure how much I'll need to re-iterate that but yeah. I was more keen on creating discussion than debating how forceful people should be with their opinions. Some people have done to be fair.

If I was gonna be an attention seeking twat I'd have created a new thread or something (God knows Main Muse is desolate/repetitive enough!).

Not sure how much I'll need to re-iterate that but yeah. I was more keen on creating discussion than debating how forceful people should be with their opinions. Some people have done to be fair.

If I was gonna be an attention seeking twat I'd have created a new thread or something (God knows Main Muse is desolate/repetitive enough!).

To be fair, I added my two cents to the discussion. You just didn't like what I had to say.

Not really, it was rude.

It is quite common though. There's always one guy who goes "I don't like one particular one thing about this list so I'm gonna be sensationalist and say all of it is pointless."

Spose that's life, eh?

Not really, it was rude.

It is quite common though. There's always one guy who goes "I don't like one particular one thing about this list so I'm gonna be sensationalist and say all of it is pointless."

Spose that's life, eh?

Rude or not, it was still my addition to the discussion.

Right then. As you were.

Shrinking Universe, for me (and I might be a minority), has an excellent flow to it. It doesn't do a lot wrong, except (apparently) be devastatingly engaging. I reckon people don't appreciate it as much because it doesn't have a distinctive lead hook or anything. I love the rawness of it, the way it progresses and all that, and then that scream out of nowhere. Fantastic.

For one, his vocals in the verses are so whiny they're almost painful to listen to (but it's worth it for the scream). And going back to the chorus after that is kind of anti-climatic.

Archived