Heres a demo (i.e a bad take but we're going to re-record it as some point)

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

I know some bits of very bad (we'd only finalised most of the song the day before) but it gives a good idea of the song.

Edited by Dave

I know some bits of very bad (we'd only finalised most of the song the day before) but it gives a good idea of the song.

It's really good. Except the vocals. They're atrocious :(

It's really good. Except the vocals. They're atrocious :(

Our vocalist has found a new style of singing (much more attack, kinda Chris Cornell mixed with the style in the demo) so he sings it a lot better now.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/motionswithmotives-1/mwm-psycadellia-demo/s-7z8WF[/soundcloud]

Are you the guy who had the demo before with all the really odd panning? If so then this is a big improvement. Either way here's my thoughts (not all negative and hopefully constructive):

Sounds like the performance is really quite loose which doesn't really do the recording any favours. When you've got issues like people audibly knocking mics (2.50) and that sort of thing it seems rather like a bit more time and care could have been taken. Still. The drums in particular are dodgy more or less all the way through with all sorts of timing issues and whatnot particularly on the fills.

The vocals aren't really that bad to be honest but the mix and production do nothing to flatter them and help them mesh with the track. The aforementioned knock and some pretty erratic levels on the vocals suggest that it might be worth your vocalist spending a bit of time working on mic technique as that'll help with these issues.

Guitars and bass are pretty solid, plenty of potential there and not a lot to criticise although mix-wise I do feel like the guitars are overwhelming everything else at points (especially the vocals).

Really the important things to take from this are to make sure you practice, practice, practice until you're ready to record and can all play every bit of the song comfortably and consistently. Make sure to go through and check for any stray noises or mistakes that shouldn't be there and remove them: If this means recording a whole new take then do it because it'll be well worth it to get an infinitely better final product. If you're mixing this stuff yourselves then just keep at it and make sure to try and improve each time. If someone else from outside the band is mixing it for you then consider looking elsewhere.

The vocals aren't really that bad to be honest but the mix and production do nothing to flatter them and help them mesh with the track. The aforementioned knock and some pretty erratic levels on the vocals suggest that it might be worth your vocalist spending a bit of time working on mic technique as that'll help with these issues.

Basically what I thought. He can sing!

Are you the guy who had the demo before with all the really odd panning? If so then this is a big improvement. Either way here's my thoughts (not all negative and hopefully constructive):

Sounds like the performance is really quite loose which doesn't really do the recording any favours. When you've got issues like people audibly knocking mics (2.50) and that sort of thing it seems rather like a bit more time and care could have been taken. Still. The drums in particular are dodgy more or less all the way through with all sorts of timing issues and whatnot particularly on the fills.

Guitars and bass are pretty solid, plenty of potential there and not a lot to criticise although mix-wise I do feel like the guitars are overwhelming everything else at points (especially the vocals).

Really the important things to take from this are to make sure you practice, practice, practice until you're ready to record and can all play every bit of the song comfortably and consistently. Make sure to go through and check for any stray noises or mistakes that shouldn't be there and remove them: If this means recording a whole new take then do it because it'll be well worth it to get an infinitely better final product. If you're mixing this stuff yourselves then just keep at it and make sure to try and improve each time. If someone else from outside the band is mixing it for you then consider looking elsewhere.

Thanks. Its nice to get constructive criticism (fabri). And yeah, that was us :facepalm:

This was recorded about 3 weeks ago when the song was about 2 days old. We were given the chance to record 2 songs (At the time we only had 1 completed) so we solidified this over a practice session and recorded this the next day.

He is a very good vocalist but in this performance he didn't quite get it right. The production on this was done fairly quickly to give us something as the group we recorded it with felt we deserved a re-recording session since they messed up a lot of the footage (the performance was live and filmed btw). I'm having a go at some editing myself but without the isolated tracks its quite hard.

I kinda felt sorry for our drummer. He is a great drummer but me and the guitarist kept changing our ideas for this song and kept forgetting to tell him the cues so the performance doesn't really do him justice. But we want to give the verses a more powerful sound so we want to change the drum lines a bit anyway.

We all felt the mixing for the guitar and bass was a bit off. In a for a 3 piece (musically) like us we think the bass should be a bit louder to fill out the sound. But as I said before, this mixing was done quickly.

We have a practice session tomorrow where we'll be rehearsing for the first time as a full band in over two months so we really need to practice. Once we do the re-recordings and if they're good we'll release them properly in some form. I just wanted to show it to ye to get some feedback and I got it.

This was recorded about 3 weeks ago when the song was about 2 days old. We were given the chance to record 2 songs (At the time we only had 1 completed) so we solidified this over a practice session and recorded this the next day.

I kinda felt sorry for our drummer. He is a great drummer but me and the guitarist kept changing our ideas for this song and kept forgetting to tell him the cues so the performance doesn't really do him justice.

It definitely shows that the song's under-rehearsed but a positive way to look at it is that when you come to re-record you've got a solid benchmark to listen to and work out what you want to improve or do differently and a point of comparison for afterwards. I definitely know how tempting it can be to record new material soon after it's written. This track was recorded under similar circumstances to your one; people wanted to film us for their project we'd only just written it, the structure was worked out 10 minutes before the first take but we wanted to play it because it was new and we only had one other track. So this is completely understandable.

We all felt the mixing for the guitar and bass was a bit off. In a for a 3 piece (musically) like us we think the bass should be a bit louder to fill out the sound. But as I said before, this mixing was done quickly.

If you're identifying things that you're not happy with and areas that you need to pay attention to then that's definitely a step in the right direction. It all comes with practice really - I listened back to some mixes of songs I did 5 years ago and they're fucking cringeworthy but I find I'm improving with every mix I do (even if I'm still lightyears away from as good as I want to be!).

Something else that's just just occurred to me on a second listen is that I can don't think I can hear any kick drum anywhere in the whole 4 minutes. I thought something sounded strange and that's what it is. Should say as well that the snare and cymbals sound pretty nice even if the performance is a bit ropey :)

That moment when you spend 10 minutes jamming a song out then spend another hour or two writing it and come up with something you really enjoy.

I'll have to do another recording of this now we have another guitarist or two and that I can actually sing in it so it's developed a tiny bit but the idea is there. :LOL:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/adamcrowell1990/iapetus-demo[/soundcloud]