Stockholm Syndrome (definitive thread)

Alysum

Shockingly, I agree with BKack here - I read an interview where Matt said they put the keyboard through the Fender, as the bandpass effect makes it much easier to fit the piano into the mix (as you know Chris uses a massive frequency range already). I don't know if they use it for all the keyboard sounds or just the piano though......

Edit: he beat me to it

• 1 month later...
right before each chorus they have that loud thing fade in, (that windy effect, dont know what to call it) does anyone have any idea how they made it or what it is?

It was just Matt screaming or something wasn't it? I always hear in lots of songs they have wierd fady bits, I wish I knew how to make them so my recordings would sound better.

right before each chorus they have that loud thing fade in, (that windy effect, dont know what to call it) does anyone have any idea how they made it or what it is?

If you mean the "widy" bit just before:

"This... is... the last time I.. abandon you!... and this is....! the last time I forget you" e.t.c.?

If so. I reckon its some weird effect used in the recording studio. You must be a bit picky if you need it in a cover performance. What do you want to know for? :D

hey ive got the tab book and ive seen them do it live but i have no idea how to play the intro riff it just never sounds anyfin at all like the song, anyone got any idea of what i mite b doin wrong, is there sum weird rythm or summin??

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping an old-ish thread, but I have a question.

I can't play the SS intro riff on one of my guitars, the string keeps getting caught on the pick.

Should I lower the action or adjust the intonation or something? (I can play it fine on my other guitar)

This guitar just buzzes and the string keeps getting in the way.

Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked before :$

check out the US version of the SS video. great close up on matt's fingers as he plays the intro riff

But Matt always plays it weird ;)

For starters, he plays it (picking) close to the neck... IMHO that's quite a waste of energy, since the strings amplitude is greater there... I pick it more towards the bridge (but that makes it sound a bit more treble-ish)...

Second, he rests his hand (fingers) on one of his pickups. I know his joints are hyper flexible, so he seems to pick 'in-line' with the string, but it doesn't help me. Resting my hand on the bridge is somewhat more comfortable for me, but you can also pick it with your hand floating.

Third, his fretting fingers are lifted way to high above the string imho, it looks like he is 'hitting' the strings with his fretting hand, almost like a very hard hammer-on (but for that, you kinda bend your fingers more)...

So I personally don't think it's a good idea to adapt Matt's technique esp. for SS ;)

My 2 cents

A little thread about playing SS on guitar :)

Have any tips to play it as fast as possible ? I was wondering if you stoke the D string up and down or just down like me ?

you may aswell use alternate picking, if you're just using down, then there's no reason as to why you shouldn't use the alternate method. think about it, every time you play a down stroke, you need to pull the plec back up in order to play the next down, so why not do an up-pick after the down.

• 1 month later...

This may already have been asked but I cant go through the whole thread!

In the tab book it says the "solo" is played:

D:- 8-5-0-8-5-0-8-5-7-3-0-7-3-0-7-3-5-2-0-5-2-0-5-2-5-1-0-5-1-0-5-1

But on the American video he plays it differently, like up around the 12th fret ...

Huh?

This may already have been asked but I cant go through the whole thread!

In the tab book it says the "solo" is played:

But on the American video he plays it differently, like up around the 12th fret ...

Huh?

Plays it like this probably:

|D
|A
|D-20-20-17-17-0-0-20-20-17-17-0-0-20-20-17-17

|D
|A
|D-19-19-15-15-0-0-19-19-15-15-0-0-19-19-15-15

|D
|A
|D-17-17-14-14-0-0-17-17-14-14-0-0-17-17-14-14

|D