Stockholm Syndrome (definitive thread)

Alysum

• 2 weeks later...
I actually think that by limiting myself in physical ways like that, i'm opening doors in other areas.

Not really. Slide guitar is mostly played in drop tuning so are many of the great riffs. The only thing you really do is limit yourself to one set tuning. At least try messing around with the alternatives.

Many musicians wouldn't of written songs if they'd just stayed in standard.

To think what Blur or Jeff Buckley would sound like if they'd stuck with that same state of mind.

what are the tabs for the second part of the verse matt plays live where he doesn't go all the way up to the 12th fret like the ultimate-guitar tabs say it's played

These are the chords, youll be able to get the drift of it from them (put it into notepad):

e-----------------------------------------

B----------------------------------------

G---7--7--7-7---7--6--6-------------------------

D---8--7--5-5---5--5--7--------------------------

A--10-8--7-6---x--x--x---------------------------

D-----------------------------------------

I refuse to downtune my guitars, and have the tab book so know it's supposed to be played in drop d tuning. Can it be played without having to do that. I worked out how to play New Born without tuning down.

No. The main riff uses the open D string, which you wont have when tuned in standard. Just tune the guitar down dude, itll take all of about 10 seconds...

EDIT: betterz tabz

Not really. Slide guitar is mostly played in drop tuning so are many of the great riffs. The only thing you really do is limit yourself to one set tuning. At least try messing around with the alternatives.

Many musicians wouldn't of written songs if they'd just stayed in standard.

To think what Blur or Jeff Buckley would sound like if they'd stuck with that same state of mind.

I don't like Blur or Jeff Buckley.

These are the chords, youll be able to get the drift of it from them (put it into notepad or something like that):

e x x x x x x x

B x x x x x x x

G 7 7 7 7 7 6 6

D 8 7 5 5 5 5 7

A 10 8 7 6 x x x

D x x x x x x x

No. The main riff uses the open D string, which you wont have when tuned in standard. Just tune the guitar down dude, itll take all of about 10 seconds...

I really appreciate it!!!

I don't like Porcupine Tree, and am rapidly going off Muse. All of their best work is in standard tuning anyway.

"Alkaline Trio, Bayside, The Birthday Massacre, Blaqk Audio, AFI, Heavens, Home Grown, Love Equals Death, Morrissey, Aiden, Enter Shikari, The Killers, Lostprophets, Placebo, Skillet, Taking Back Sunday, Fall Out Boy." The majority of there songs are in drop tunings.

Drop C, D. Apart from Morrissey they all use drop tunings because it fits the style of music.

They're not bands i want to style my own music on though. I like listening to them, but don't worry myself about learning their stuff. If a song i particularly like is playable in standard tuning i'll figure it out. There isn't a TBS song i havn't been able to play in standard tuning yet. Bayside are pretty bad for drop d, they're a guilty pleasure. Alkaline Trio don't use drop d very much at all.

stockholm syndrome? new born? butterflies and hurricanes? assassin? citizen erased? :eek:

I can play new born in standard, though i had to modify it a little. I can also play citizen erased in standard, but again i had to change it a bit. Stockholme syndrome i'm not a big fan of, and butterflies and hurricanes has gotten a little bit boring for me.

stockholm syndrome? new born? butterflies and hurricanes? assassin? citizen erased? :eek:

Errr B&H isn't drop d?

Also Enter Shikari lives in drop C. I couldn't personnel limit myself with one tuning. Especially playing slide.

If you can play them in standard, then the tunings not really affecting the music is it...

I guess it isn't. I'm going to find a way to play Stockholme Syndrome in standard tuning. I'll report back when i manage it.

But first i'm trying to work out how to play A Little Less Sixteen Candles... without having to downtune.

Archived