Stockholm Syndrome (definitive thread)

Alysum

A little thread about playing SS on guitar :)

Have any tips to play it as fast as possible ? I was wondering if you stoke the D string up and down or just down like me ?

What effect apart from the Fuzz foes he uses to get that so particular sound ?

enjoy !

A little thread about playing SS on guitar :)

Have any tips to play it as fast as possible ? I was wondering if you stoke the D string up and down or just down like me ?

What effect apart from the Fuzz foes he uses to get that so particular sound ?

enjoy !

use the down pull offs( sounds weird but i know people who pull up) and alternate pick down up down.

for the effect he used a synthersiser at the same time from this programme rich costey(producer) had which blended the guitar and synth together

e----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
B----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
G----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
D----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
A----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
D-12-0-13-0-12-0-10-[b]12[/b]-|-0-0-13-0-12-0-10-[b]12[/b]-|-0-0-13-0-12-0-10-[b]12[/b]-|-0-0-13-0-16-16-16-16|

hammer on 12 right ?

e----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
B----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
G----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
D----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
A----------------------|---------------------|---------------------|---------------------|
D-12-0-13-0-12-0-10-[b]12[/b]-|-0-0-13-0-12-0-10-[b]12[/b]-|-0-0-13-0-12-0-10-[b]12[/b]-|-0-0-13-0-16-16-16-16|

hammer on 12 right ?

Erm, thats a bit wrong isnt it?

...I dont really use phaser or any effects for the Riff...just mush is up and have plenty of middle.

For the solo break, I use auto wah and phase, for the two parts

I have difficulty playing it so I just miss out the 0's (are they what the pull offs reffer to cos im thick wi tablature) so I just end up playing 12,13,12,10,12 etc. Do you think thats a bad idea? To me I think you can recognise what Im trying to play. hopefully I plan to be able to play it properly but at the min I will go 12, 0, 13, then 12 instead of the next 0. Even going slowly i screw up.

SS, the song i can actually play well :D

i just strike the first 0 then hammer on and pull off the rest of the intro with a little delay, i gradually build up wah over the verse and for that bridge i use wah as well,

also i can get quite a good SS sound with max gain and a blues tone which was quite interesting to find out

I have difficulty playing it so I just miss out the 0's (are they what the pull offs reffer to cos im thick wi tablature) so I just end up playing 12,13,12,10,12 etc. Do you think thats a bad idea? To me I think you can recognise what Im trying to play. hopefully I plan to be able to play it properly but at the min I will go 12, 0, 13, then 12 instead of the next 0. Even going slowly i screw up.

on most muse songs, its actually easier to miss some of the 0's out and just do a 16th rest instead, thats what i do...im working on a midi of the official tab, so ill put the link and a free program for that if you want to hear it, its good cos you can edit the tab so you can work out what sounds good without having lightning fast fingers or a robotic hand (thats what matt has...he told me once)

How I learned the riff was to first forget the right hand, and get used to the timing of hammers and pulls in the riff. You have to do it pretty quickly, just tapping 12, then 13 then hammering from 10 to 12. When you've got that sortedpractice a slightly slowed down tremolo picking thing right next to the bridge. About 6-8 strokes a second, down and up. If you combine this with the fingering, with a little practice, you should have all the zeros in the right place.

The left hand bit is easy, and so'e the right., The rouble comes putting them together. For the verses, keep the same speed, just widen the strokes. If you're having trouble with making the chord changes fast enough, just play the strings open once between chords. It dosen't sound too bad. The solo is on the D string (4th, not 6th) same picking speed:

D:--8-8--5-5--0-0--8-8--5-5--0-0--8-8--5-5--7-7--3-3--0-0--7-7--3-3

--0-0--7-7--3-3--5-5--2-2--0-0--5-5--2-2--0-0--5-5--2-2--5-5--1-1--0-0

--5-5--1-1--0-0--5-5--1-1

...then it does the intro riff but on the A string. You have to move you r hand around a bit in the solo. no tricks really, just practice.

on most muse songs, its actually easier to miss some of the 0's out and just do a 16th rest instead, thats what i do...im working on a midi of the official tab, so ill put the link and a free program for that if you want to hear it, its good cos you can edit the tab so you can work out what sounds good without having lightning fast fingers or a robotic hand (thats what matt has...he told me once)

Yeah if you want to do that for me you can do. Cheers mate

I usually leave the 0's out because I think it sounds better that way, for those with a Zoom 707, use the Ring Mod on it for the main bit, it gives a bit of a synthy vibe to it and the harmonics sound really amazing if you get the settings right

I usually leave the 0's out because I think it sounds better that way, for those with a Zoom 707, use the Ring Mod on it for the main bit, it gives a bit of a synthy vibe to it and the harmonics sound really amazing if you get the settings right

(assuming this works on 606) which setting do you have...give the whole patch.(please)

Archived