Stockholm Syndrome (definitive thread)

Alysum

does everyone actually play each note twice, i can't get it to sound right if i do, i just play each once... it sounds fine to me. what's the technique when playing each twice....?

hmm it kinda came to me one day, when i as playing it actually....but i THINK what i do, is have really high gain, and then hammer on/pull off the notes and only poick the open ones? if that makes sense :S i started off by just hammering on the notes n leaving the opens till later

Sorry if this TAB has bin mentioned b4, but I couldn't b bothered 2 read thru the whole thread...

I'm not a dedicated Guitarist, but I do look @ Guitar TAB occasionally, n I took a look @ the TAB 4 Stockholm Syndrome on http://www.mxtabs.net. There are several TABs there, but I saw 1, tried it on my Bass, n (barring the fact that it was in Bass Clef) it sounded alrite.

http://www.mxtabs.net/tab_versions.php?path=Guitar,m,838,Muse,Stockholm+Syndrome,106610

this is something i thought i noticed in the past, but i swear, unless its just a phase difference, that theres a slight modulation effect on the guitar during the whole of stockholm syndrome live, really really subtle, most noticeable when he does the harmonics. forget about the solo and the phase on that, sounds almost chorusy when he plays the harmonics. like i said it could be a phase difference but still i noticed it at all of the gigs this years and all the footage ive seen of them

nah theres somthing their, its what i would say gives mat his new sound,

trust me , i know what im on about haha

not too sure what, i dont think tis a chorus to be honest but its most definetly some silly rackshit thing goin on, some sort of modulation thing

I did notice that the Harmonics he produces on the song when he plays it live are more high pitched that the originals, he must be useing a slightly different setup to when he recorded Absolution.

I've never heard what a chorus pedal does plus i've never had the chance to use one but you guys think that is the case then??

IMHO the harmonics live are way muddier than the album version (they've probably enhanced that bit anyway).

The thicker sound is due to the chorus. It's the same kind of sound you hear on the Hullaballoo version of Dead Star (esp. the intro).

there's also a slight modulation effect as Dan describes on the studio version, i noticed this just earlier, only because it was through earphones. i dont think its chorus, because you can hear sweeps like a phaser. but obviously its not strong, like for instance the solo part. Maybe he has the phaser on his guitar on during the song, and then triggers another rackmount effect for the solo?

I thought I read somewhere that they used some digital phaser that was put reaaly slowely and with a lot of amplitude (on the solo) and that they used it slightly on the rest of the song.

That you hear a phaser is correct, but that doesn't rule out the option to use chorus ;)

Wasn't it recorded with his black manson directly into the mixing board? That was the reason why the riff is so 'bright' and pure sounding.

IMHO the harmonics live are way muddier than the album version (they've probably enhanced that bit anyway).

The thicker sound is due to the chorus. It's the same kind of sound you hear on the Hullaballoo version of Dead Star (esp. the intro).

Not on the Big day in on Australia it's not, the harmonics are much more high pitched than usual and they are the same harmonic he uses for the studio version, mind you though on other versions of the song live the harmonics do seem to be more muddy, but this Big day in thing was ver recent so to be fair they probably sound better because Matt has been experimenting for how to get a better sounding harmonic.

Then the question is answered yes it is a bit of Phaser that is used on the live version, you can hear it on the version of the songs i've given you.

A little thread about playing SS on guitar :)

Have any tips to play it as fast as possible ? I was wondering if you stoke the D string up and down or just down like me ?

What effect apart from the Fuzz foes he uses to get that so particular sound ?

enjoy !

The answer to this may have already been answered to this but you are ment to alternate pick the riff in order to get it as fast, just position you're hand so that you're pick is level with the string & it is easy as pie!

he didnt have a chorus effect in his setup back then. yes, the whammy has a chorus setting but thats set to 1octave up for that song, and it wuldnt hav been any of the modulation delays on the dl4..

does matt use really slow wah for the intro?

you mean for stockholm?

could possibly be... dont forget he's got pod xts in his rack,not just the line6 delay and mod, those puppies are capable of producing pretty much anything sound you want.

you mean for stockholm?

could possibly be... dont forget he's got pod xts in his rack,not just the line6 delay and mod, those puppies are capable of producing pretty much anything sound you want.

yerh, it sounds like it to me, just a really slow subtle wah rather than a phaser.

Yeah i always thought it was a slow wah but then dregged on to the idea that it was a phaser....but now i'm confused Lol 'cause people have different opinions so i'm just going to try both the effects out then see....Lol

hmm, it might just be the REALLY fuzzy er...fuzz thats on it, but it seems to have a really slow attack, definately uncompressed but it sounds like its just got a tad to much effects on it IMHO...its just a really distant sound as opposed to say, PIB thats up front. this is studio btw, but if you just play it, before the bass n drums come in, it sounds really like it has been modulated, id go with wah, slowly and possibly chorus too :D

Archived