2018.02.24 - La Cigale, Paris

Jobby

I saw the incident the night of the show from across the venue.

As 5 minutes before the scheduled begining of the show there was a lot of empty VIP reserved seats, we just though that some people just decided to sit on them.

We saw them arguing with the security guys and finally leaving.

Saw that happened once before some years ago (not with Muse, not in this venue), some "VIP" being "upset" that disabled people have better seats than them, that they "deserve the best seats" and asking the staff to "swap" (as if people in wheelchairs could climb the stairs). But then the staff told them to f... off or leave :D

It was the quieting of fans around her that sort of surprises me. The (admittedly v few) times I’ve seen her interact w/ fans, she’s seemed pretty amicable and on their level to some extent. In terms of having special treatment and personal security trying to sort stuff out for her, I’ve seen that myself in person and you’d expect it anyway I guess.

Little surprised at Tom for not just squashing it though, as much as it sounds like he was at least trying to help and provide alternatives in some way. Maybe didn’t wanna create any friction w/ one of his best friend’s fiance, idk.

Any info on if venue staff were informed/involved? That would’ve been my first instinct. If they have rules and set disabled seating, I’d imagine they wouldn’t let her move them.

Edited by Jobby

If those seats were designated diasabled seats, they still shouldn’t have been moved imo. That’d be more a case of them ‘mistakenly’ reserving those seats for band family as opposed to the fan ‘mistakenly’ being sat there. Maybe they actually weren’t though, idk.

At least they were moved to comparable seats, if true.

Edit: still doesn’t excuse being a nob to any fans singing along/having fun around her though. Tom said he wasn’t even involved though so idk what’s true or not anymore.

Edit 2: lmao @ the people saying ‘ugh, as if you had to explain this’ though, a situation like that does need clearing up

Edit 3: seen a tweet pointing out that if they were ‘in theory’ only moved along a few seats, why are they seen leaving up the stairs at the start of the stream? and if they were only a few seats’ difference, why not just move the family/friends instead of forcing a disabled person up? still a few questions here imo. as much as I still don’t condone any kind of witch hunt/insults to be thrown, I do think it’d be better for Elle to tell her side herself, as opposed to Tom if he really wasn’t there.

Edited by Jobby

Tom's another one that's gotten a lot of attention and fame from being around celebrities, and hasn't always acted appropriately about it.

I'm not saying he's not being truthful (although I'd ask how he knew the people got great seats if he was 100% unaware of the situation happening) but in my eyes he's not the best representative for the band, either, and comes off like protecting his own ass more than caring about the situation.

Going to gigs can be a fucking horrible hassle for disabled people in the first place, and someone, somewhere along the line in this situation didn't do their job properly.

Whether it was a band member's girlfriend demanding a better seat, or security for the venue not seating someone in the proper section, it's a shitty situation that should have been resolved more than 5 minutes before the gig.

Yeah, I think his responses could’ve been better. It reads to me like people were wrong to take issue with the potential situation and want clarification, and even that the disabled fan was in the wrong for sitting there (when, by all accounts, they were shown there by venue staff). He calls it overblown but can only address what happened ‘in theory’ :erm:

Proper clarification and a sensitive response is needed from people more directly involved imo. Ideally, the fan in question, venue staff or Elle herself.

As someone said it has nothing to do with the band, so can we please keep it off the official forum and stay on the topic of the actual gig and performance? You are the rest of the internet to discuss whatever else you want.

Thanks.

As someone said it has nothing to do with the band, so can we please keep it off the official forum and stay on the topic of the actual gig and performance? You are the rest of the internet to discuss whatever else you want.

Thanks.

I mean, it involves band security/management/staff and we’ve been discussing it in the relevant gig thread... :erm: Not starting shit but why is this something we can’t discuss here?

I mean, it involves band security/management/staff and we’ve been discussing it in the relevant gig thread... :erm: Not starting shit but why is this something we can’t discuss here?

Board was getting too busy, apparently.

A lot of it is speculation and not directly related to the music or the performance. Please feel free to continue this discussion over on Reddit, but this isn't the place for it.

A lot of it is speculation and not directly related to the music or the performance. Please feel free to continue this discussion over on Reddit, but this isn't the place for it.

It’s directly related to the gig though, and a fan’s experience of it...? The last few posts were also discussing Tom’s public response to it.

I could understand if it was an incident that happened in public, away from anyone and anything directly affiliated w/ the band, or if our posts were just slagging off/insulting the non-band people in question. But we’re just discussing the different, uncertain accounts of an incident between a fan at a concert and band management/staff and giving our opinion on the only ‘official’ response out there atm.

Again, I’m not having a go or trying to argue, hope it doesn’t come across that way. I’m just confused and kinda think fans should be able to express concern tbh.

Edited by Jobby

I'd say fans being inconvenienced or booted from seats is as relevant as discussing long lines or other issues at a venue. I know this involves band member's friends and family and may therefore overlap with discussing things that aren't cool to discuss on here, but it very much is directly related to the experience of the show for the people this happened to.

Anyway, I don't have anything relevant to say about it and neither do any of us who weren't there. But if, say, the band or the fan in question spoke up about the incident, I'd like to be able to read about it here.

I'd say fans being inconvenienced or booted from seats is as relevant as discussing long lines or other issues at a venue. I know this involves band member's friends and family and may therefore overlap with discussing things that aren't cool to discuss on here, but it very much is directly related to the experience of the show for the people this happened to.

Mostly this, and everything seems to very much add up to speculation. We haven't heard directly from the person that was moved, and the people that say they have evidence have yet to post anything concrete.