Manson Guitars & Tanks III: built to last; military grade

james90

That's why I said in theory. I actually made a mistake earlier, the sides of the delorean are 0.7mm, so no more than 2mm wider. The original is pretty sloppy in construction I doubt the final size was determined accounting for the thickness of the ali.

The bodies have become more symmetrical over time. There seems to have been a step change around 2007, after which they became more uniform.

So they are larger than usual? I always thought some in particular looked massive on MB...

yeah. the first X-Y guitar wasn't exactly symmetrical, but that was before 2007. I think he must have got it in late 2005/early 2006. I remember seeing a video from the recording of BHAR and it was being used.

edit: this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5UhwpZq-c

And like I said yesterday, I'm fairly certain it was used for this, going by the #chuggz alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlH3m3HkAI

So they are larger than usual? I always thought some in particular looked massive on MB...

yeah. the first X-Y guitar wasn't exactly symmetrical, but that was before 2007. I think he must have got it in late 2005/early 2006. I remember seeing a video from the recording of BHAR and it was being used.

edit: this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p5UhwpZq-c

And like I said yesterday, I'm fairly certain it was used for this, going by the #chuggz alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAlH3m3HkAI

Yes, the older guitars are larger than the new ones. The first Matt black (with the ebony board) is over10mm narrower at the widest point than the Matt black Kaoss. Doesn't sound like much, but combined with the changes to the outer curve of the body, it results in a less bulbous look.

The black Kaoss guitar is really the last of the 'old shape' Manson, which was followed by the dearly departed M1D1, that being the first of the 'new' shape guitars.

It's interesting, as the M1D1 was possibly not intended for Matt.

As far as I can tell, all subsequent guitars follow the 'proportions' if not the exact dimensions of the M1D1.

Yes, the older guitars are larger than the new ones. The first Matt black (with the ebony board) is over10mm narrower at the widest point than the Matt black Kaoss. Doesn't sound like much, but combined with the changes to the outer curve of the body, it results in a less bulbous look.

The black Kaoss guitar is really the last of the 'old shape' Manson, which was followed by the dearly departed M1D1, that being the first of the 'new' shape guitars.

As far as I can tell, all subsequent guitars follow the 'proportions' if not the exact dimensions of the M1D1.

cool

And does that include the MB-1 shape? Have a look at Olly's M1B1 compared to the M1D1.

11825873_10152912340185653_8925095161226836759_n.jpg?oh=d086063c79cc7e9f393f29906718c18f&oe=5897FC29

Really? I always thought the M1D1 had a really weird shaped horn compared to the rest

Hmm, that is interesting. Maybe the M1D1 was the last of the wonky's then? It's hard to say as it's broken in the shot above.

It's not one of the guitars I like all that much. Maybe I am wrong, as I always though the original red glitter was a different shape to Red Glitter 2 as well, but now i'm not sure. Certainly from Matt Black 1 onwards they're all more symmetric, so maybe that was the first of the new ones then?

EDIT: I just went back and checked it looks like all the 2007 guitars share the same shape, though I haven't got a good shot of the Black MIDI. Clearly I was talking nonsense earlier.

Edited by Jaicen

Hmm, that is interesting. Maybe the M1D1 was the last of the wonky's then? It's hard to say as it's broken in the shot above.

It's not one of the guitars I like all that much. Maybe I am wrong, as I always though the original red glitter was a different shape to Red Glitter 2 as well, but now i'm not sure. Certainly from Matt Black 1 onwards they're all more symmetric, so maybe that was the first of the new ones then?

Nah we're referring to the upper left in particular, which is still intact.

And I wouldn't know. I don't think there was a massive difference between red glitter and its replacement, at least not as much as the two guitars in the picture I posted.

On a side note, I'm curious why the original one is now stripped of all its parts. Surely they wouldn't have recycled them onto the new one (or any other guitar), unless the replacement was built in more of a rush that we thought.

Edit:

Do you mean black MIDI as in the M1D1's replacement, or black MIDI as in the first X-Y guitar (below)?

http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/g5?lightbox=image1qpf

I meant the black Midi as in the one that looks like an MB1s. I think Matt calls it Auto?

And for me, the lower bout is where the difference lies, the old ones are wider at the bottom than the new shape guitars. I'm fairly sure the Red Glitter 2 is a different shape.

Which guitars, they vary.

You're unlikely to get a lot of answers here i'm afraid, you're probably better off hunting down some good pictures and scaling them with known quantities.

Ah shame about that. I was hoping to find some answers just for a standard model.

I also forget to mention I was looking for the Keytar dimensions as well.

No I never got to see the old MGW. I only went the day of the show and the works was obviously closed.

Did you manage to see the shop at least?

I'm eager to see the new Works anyway. Not completely sure if I'm able to go again next year, but certainly by the following.

I think going back and forth between the shop and works might be an issue as well. I understand it's no longer a minute's walk between the two :$

Did you manage to see the shop at least?

I'm eager to see the new Works anyway. Not completely sure if I'm able to go again next year, but certainly by the following.

I think going back and forth between the shop and works might be an issue as well. I understand it's no longer a minute's walk between the two :$

Yes I was able to hang out at the shop for a bit. Tried to buy the CE-7 that was on display :LOL:

I guess I should figure out where exactly the new works is in relation to the shop. It'll only be a few hours in Exeter as I train in from London in the morning and train back after I pick up the guitar and hang out for a bit.

Yes I was able to hang out at the shop for a bit. Tried to buy the CE-7 that was on display :LOL:

I guess I should figure out where exactly the new works is in relation to the shop. It'll only be a few hours in Exeter as I train in from London in the morning and train back after I pick up the guitar and hang out for a bit.

A few of us tried that last time, and it really didn't sound that great for some reason. Probably because we weren't playing citizen erased.

Not sure, but I guess I won't be popping down to visit every few hours :chuckle::supersad: It does sound like there is plenty to keep one busy at the new works, as they seem to have that little gallery/demo room up above.

about 20 miles from the old shop

Well it's on an industrial estate isn't it?? Think it's unlikely they will have spicy Chicken..

I didn't expect the new Works to have a built in nando's. I meant the area it's in.

But I fear you're right.

:awesome:

Jaicen and I will be buying one. I just want to see the builds - I think there are three entries in my 2016 calendar :facepalm: