The only problem I have with one direction being there is that I feel they hadn't earned their place along side the other artists who had worked to get where they were instead of being won through a talent contest

Just because someone else writes their songs doesn't mean they don't do work.

And are we really gonna start judging artists value from how hard they've worked to get where they are? Well in that case, sorry Radiohead, but you're where you are because of one shitty song that you recorded a very long time ago.

And are we really gonna start judging artists value from how hard they've worked to get where they are? Well in that case, sorry Radiohead, but you're where you are because of one shitty song that you recorded a very long time ago.

Once again, a dire relation... :LOL:

The whole "you don't write your own songs argument" is flawed. Dom doesn't write songs. Would you use that on him? Thom Yorke writes 80% of the material for Radiohead. Serge writes 100% (since Karloff left) of the material for Kasabian. Would you say that to Harrison? Ringo? (Okay maybe I would say it to Ringo)...

How come no Rolling Stones song were played? Weren't they a major part of the first generation British Invasion bands. Also no Led Zeppelin. Very odd. Two of the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful bands and neither of them were played.

And no Coldplay :'(

The Stones and Zeppelin I understand... but Coldplay?

However, I'd much rather have Coldplay than One Direction.

I didn't say anything about writing their own songs. I mean most of their fame is due to them being 'good looking' and Simon cowels wealth

Once again, a dire relation... :LOL:

Not really though. They got more famous than other bands who had released three times as much material despite Radiohead doing less work. THAT'S NOT FAIR.

The whole "you don't write your own songs argument" is flawed. Dom doesn't write songs. Would you use that on him? Thom Yorke writes 80% of the material for Radiohead. Serge writes 100% (since Karloff left) of the material for Kasabian. Would you say that to Harrison? Ringo? (Okay maybe I would say it to Ringo)...

:LOL: Poor Ringo.

Didn't know Harrison and Ringo didn't write any material...

And no I wouldn't use that on those aforementioned bands, because the 'band' has created the music as a unit, whereas with 1D some other bloke has come up with it who isn't affiliated with the group whatsoever. Groups like 1D are proclaimed and promoted to be self-reliant, self-dependent acts, when they are anything but.

I didn't say anything about writing their own songs. I mean most of their fame is due to them being 'good looking' and Simon cowels wealth

Loads of bands gain fame due to their image.

No matter how they became famous, people sang along to their song. Isn't that enough?

Not saying that I wouldn't rather have another band on stage instead of them, but the reasoning here is ridiculous.

Didn't know Harrison and Ringo didn't write any material...

And no I wouldn't use that on those aforementioned bands, because the 'band' has created the music as a unit, whereas with 1D some other bloke has come up with it who isn't affiliated with the group whatsoever. Groups like 1D are proclaimed and promoted to be self-reliant, self-dependent acts, when they are anything but.

It is similar. 1D is just the next step above what I said. Seems like a odd place to put your foot down and say enough.

Another example, Elvis wrote NOTHING. Still one of the greatest selling artists ever. Carries with him the title of King of Rock n' Roll. No one says anything about him.

Not really though. They got more famous than other bands who had released three times as much material despite Radiohead doing less work. THAT'S NOT FAIR.

:LOL: Poor Ringo.

Radiohead released a good song which they not only wrote themselves, but performed reasonably well themselves. It's so much more justified.

I don't get how the Olympic organizers actually expect people to buy the album of performances from tonight when the majority of it was prerecorded.

They're* probably relying on the same people who find such bland mediocre pop crap to be worthy of purchasing.

No matter how they became famous, people sang along to their song. Isn't that enough?

Not saying that I wouldn't rather have another band on stage instead of them, but the reasoning here is ridiculous.

The point Hannah makes is that the primary reason some acts are famous is their image, as opposed to a secondary or lesser reason as to why they're famous.

A lot of The Beatles' early fame was due to them being good looking, charming etc. and all their hit songs back then were just catchy pop numbers with similar lyrical themes to 1D (and many, many other pop bands). Yet, The Beatles are regarded as one of (if not) the best bands in history. Sure, they made some amazing work that was very different and experimental later on but people always seem to overlook their early work when slagging off the 'shit mainstream music of today'.

Fair enough I just personally don't feel it was right that they were there. But hey ho, at least they aimed to please everyone

Trust you lot to turn this into a debate about mass-manufactured music :p. I've always had a problem with the miming or pre-recorded parts of these ceremonies. It doesn't matter how many millions are watching, to me not allowing bands to play live undermines their abilities as artists. If it's about 'technical' reasons, that's a poor excuse. In any case, most of the singing sounded live, even if the instruments weren't - so it was half acceptable... ish, lol.

As to bands like 1D: I basically think their music is shite and they have little talent, which is why I didn't want to see them there, lol. Not claiming that what they're doing is unheard of or eroding the landscape of modern music, cos manufactured pop has and always will be hugely popular - it's what mass audiences want. I can live with that, as long as I don't expose myself to it, hehe. Spice Girls, however, was a trip down memory lane, so that bit was fun - even my mum was singing along :chuckle:.

In other news: still only seeding at 29% :awesome:.

Radiohead released a good song which they not only wrote themselves, but performed reasonably well themselves. It's so much more justified.

Did they write Creep though? The chord progression was taken from another song. They have credited other people as the writers. Considering they use that same progression for the entire song. Quite a unique progression too if I remember correctly.

So they only wrote parts of the song?

It is similar. 1D is just the next step above what I said. Seems like a odd place to put your foot down and say enough.

Another example, Elvis wrote NOTHING. Still one of the greatest selling artists ever. Carries with him the title of King of Rock n' Roll. No one says anything about him.

Thus the reason I find Elvis not as good as people make him out to be, but he still put on more of a show than 1D. I'm a purist with this sort of stuff.

Archived