Tbh there isn't a single sound on Drones that I'd like them to pursue.

Curiously what kind of sounds would you like them to pursue?

Directions I'd love them to explore next album include

- Hard-hitting synthrock songs i.e. Dead Inside, Easily

- Over-the-top electro-tinged hard rock/metal i.e. Reapers, Take a Bow

- Dark and heavy grooves i.e. The Handler, Fury

- Prog that moves between gentle and heavy extremes i.e. The Globalist, Citizen Erased

Not entirely sure if I'd want another Revolt. Stylistically it's probably closest to Guiding Light, so the brilliant cheesiness we ended up with seems like a fluke.

Darker synthrock. Dead Inside was like a better version of Madness but really isn't that much of a synthtrack. Easily is a good call though.

More mellow stuff that isn't cheese. Well yes cheese, but dark cheese. Depressing cheese.

Post-rock.

Try to write something symphonic that doesn't mimick stuff from a hundred years ago.

Curiously what kind of sounds would you like them to pursue?

- Prog that moves between gentle and heavy extremes i.e. The Globalist, Citizen Erased

Not entirely sure if I'd want another Revolt. Stylistically it's probably closest to Guiding Light, so the brilliant cheesiness we ended up with seems like a fluke.

For me it's the same, but either either they do the first three bullet points you listed or they go all in for the 4th. I think their progressive tendencies only really manifest in one song per album, this time we got two.

I'd love for them to start exploring those darker sounds again as well. Songs that explore the same kinds of styles as Take a Bow, Fury, The Handler would all be great. A heavier version of the style of that cover they did for Radio One would be really cool as well, mixing the synth pop/electro with harder hitting guitars.

Darker synthrock. Dead Inside was like a better version of Madness but really isn't that much of a synthtrack. Easily is a good call though.

Yeeeeeessss. I'd love them to do some more stuff like Easily, it's one of my favourite song they've ever done. Would rather they had put it on Black Holes than Starlight.

For me it's the same, but either either they do the first three bullet points you listed or they go all in for the 4th. I think their progressive tendencies only really manifest in one song per album, this time we got two.

Would be awesome to hear them actually go full prog. Messed up time signatures, more modulation and add in some heavy guitar work and synths and it would probably sound awesome. Pls Muse.

Proggy metal, not cock-rock. With a different slant to what they were doing on Abso and Origin, mind. More ambitious composition and performances too. Most of the better riffs on Drones were driven into the ground by repetition and/or unimaginative rhythm work.

Groovy post-rock with an emphasis on rock.

As Simon said, dark electronic music. At this stage I'd like to see them leave orchestral stuff alone. And give us some nasty, abrasive synth stuff. Year Zero, Heavy Electricity kinda electronics.

A total absence of the words "babe" and "magic".

Edit: revisited a few songs. Psycho has some nice drum fills, but the stomping goes on too long. Handler is stronger than I remember, but the bridge doesn't do much. As for Reapers, it's just too bloody goofy to culminate in that RatM homage.

Matt needs to get away from the total sincerity if his lyrics here are anything to go by.

If anyone wants something more potent than Drones to scratch a heavy sci-fi rock itch, I recommend No Spill Blood.

Edited by Alec.

If anyone wants something more potent than Drones to scratch a heavy sci-fi rock itch, I recommend No Spill Blood.

Just listened to their album from this year. Good lord :stunned:

Would love for Muse to take a couple of cues from something like that.

Good lord in a good way? I probably should've included a warning note about the vocals all benign indecipherable roars.

In a good way :chuckle:

Loved it, probably one of my favourite albums from this year (I've not really listened to that many though, granted).

I just need to start accepting his voice from the first 3 albums is gone and that he's getting older naturally. I just love his voice from that period so much more than the last few albums. Drones especially just turns me off because of his voice. It's purely just personal; his voice is probably technically better now, I just don't get the same shivers. For future releases I'd enjoy some more vocal distortion as on the Reapers choruses.

I have the opposite thing going on; when I listen to the older stuff now, I find myself realizing how nasal his voice sounded, and how he didn't have variation to his low range.

His voice now is amazing, imo, and Drones proved he can still mesh the new voice with the emotional delivery from the old stuff. Wish he hadn't forgot that during the TR/T2L eras.

I just need to start accepting his voice from the first 3 albums is gone and that he's getting older naturally. I just love his voice from that period so much more than the last few albums. Drones especially just turns me off because of his voice. It's purely just personal; his voice is probably technically better now, I just don't get the same shivers. For future releases I'd enjoy some more vocal distortion as on the Reapers choruses.

I agree with this. Sometimes his voice throughout the last 2 albums really grates on me, specifically when he tries to hit some lower notes